News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean Leary

Re: Whistler, British Columbia
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2011, 05:02:31 PM »
Big Sky is a Cupp design, makes for a great 36 hole day.

I like Big Sky. Completely flat with D Cupp mounding everywhere, but its a good golf course....

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2011, 05:29:10 PM »

My mistake. Yes, Big Sky is a Cupp design. Big Sky is quite flat but edges up against some massive mountains which are quite dramatic. Furry Creek has more elevation changes and gullies than any course you will ever find.

Bill McBride likes it? Florida is flat!

Sean Leary

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2011, 07:23:10 PM »

My mistake. Yes, Big Sky is a Cupp design. Big Sky is quite flat but edges up against some massive mountains which are quite dramatic. Furry Creek has more elevation changes and gullies than any course you will ever find.

He likes Furry Creek..

Matthew MacKay

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2011, 06:37:58 AM »
Bob, I'm with ya re: Point Grey/Marine Drive. MD certainly benefits from Zokol, Roxy, etc playing out of there.

A public option worth considering is Morgan Creek, in South Surrey. Early Tom McBroom.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2011, 09:44:06 AM »
Thanks for the opinions guys.
Mr Hurricane

Bill_McBride

« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2011, 11:22:42 AM »

He likes Furry Creek..

I have contacted my solicitor.   You will hear from her shortly. 

Robert Thompson

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2011, 11:19:49 PM »
Jim: I've played all of the mentioned courses (including, unfortunately Furry Creek) and I'd suggest trying to find a way out to Capilano, Shaughnessy and Vancouver GC in Vancouver, and play Whistler, Big Sky and Nicklaus North in Whistler. However, I'd also suggest a trip to see Sagebrush, perhaps going by Tobiano is better than taking too much time in Whistler. Frankly Tobiano and Sagebrush are significantly better than any of the Whistler courses, none of which I'm a huge fan of.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Pete Wendt

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2011, 09:00:34 PM »
Capilano is a must!  Stanley Thompson design with beautiful vistas of Horsheshoe Bay and the city skyline. 

Banff is a 12 hour drive from Whistler, but Banff Springs is another can't miss.  I worked at Chateau Whistler and construction on Nicklaus North in the early 90's.  It is resort golf with some incredibly picturesque backdrops.  IMO Whistler Golf Club, the older Palmer design is the most mundane of the courses in the area.  Great restaurants, great beer and tons of wildlife.  What isn't to like?

Unless something has changed, (insert massive earthquake here), I agree with the Furry Creek comments.  What a crazy, odd golf course.

I have also heard great things about Sagebrush.  It is definitely farther than two hours though.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2011, 04:52:45 PM »

Jim,

I live in the Vancouver area and would be most pleased to get together next summer.

I have played at Sagebrush for the last two years and absolutely love the place, as does everyone else I have played with up there. It is a wonderful experience. From downtown Vancouver, you are looking at about 3.5 hours. From my house in White Rock, it is about 2.5 hours plus a bit, depending on who is driving.

Regarding Whistler, from downtown you can be there in about 1.5 hours or a bit more if traffic is bad. I prefer the original Whistler Golf Club over Nicklaus North and the Chateau course. Cheaper too. It is fairly flat and runs along the valley between the mountains. An easy walk and still pictureque.  Undulating typical Palmer/Seay greens, good variety of holes. Fairly wide open. Furry Creek is on the way to Whistler from Vancouver and I agree with Dale and the others that you do not want to play it. Far too goofy. I could never understand why Sean Leary liked it so much, but that's Sean for ya!

Dale is correct in that Big Sky in Pemberton (about 25 minutes beyond Whistler) is very good. A Tom McBroom design.

Feel free to contact me re Vancouver golf as well. I will add that Point Grey is a better course than Marine, although some say I am biased. For private courses in Vancouver, the ranking is Capilano, Shaughnessy, Vancouver GC, Point Grey, Marine Drive, Seymour in North Van (semi-private, open to public only Mondays and Fridays).

Was Bob Cupp not the Big Sky designer
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Dale Jackson

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2011, 06:21:52 PM »
See post #27
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2011, 11:06:59 PM »
The Thompson course in Banff is not bad and better than the Whistler courses. they did scramble it a bit. I really was not impressed with the Whistler area courses at all.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back