News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andy Shulman

Re: One Round in St. Andrews- Not TOC
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2011, 01:41:39 AM »
I'll second Bob's comment regarding #9 on the New.  And, while I'd like to add another vote for Elie, it's not actually IN St. Andrews.  Therefore, the New gets my vote over the Jubliee for having a larger number of memorable holes (esp #s 8, 9 and 18 for me) and it's by Old Tom, so that gives it the check mark for intangibles.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2011, 02:59:24 AM »
The New,  gets another vote here.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?topic=42823.0

I would also issue a cautionary note re the Jubilee, not a fun course IMO.

I'm also a great fan of Elie.

Take your daughter round the Himalayas.

BUT...unless you’ve played it dozens of times....if I were visiting and had one round I would play TOC again.  Why not?

Let's make GCA grate again!

Chris Kane

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2011, 04:30:44 AM »
I've been asked this question many times: my response is usually that you can't go wrong playing any of the New, Eden, Kingsbarns, Elie or Carnoustie (an easy 45 minute drive). If forced to pick one, I'd do Elie.

Scott Warren

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2011, 05:13:39 AM »
I'd echo Tony -- surely worth sticking your head in to the TOC starter's hut on your way to the New, say, to see if there's a spot soonish!

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2011, 06:23:33 AM »
If you are a true history nut play the Eden. If you want the toughest test play the Jubilee. If you want a delightful round of golf on a course second only to the Old, play the New.

I agree with Bob.

Niall C

« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2011, 10:27:56 AM »
If you are a true history nut play the Eden. If you want the toughest test play the Jubilee. If you want a delightful round of golf on a course second only to the Old, play the New.

I agree with Bob.

Not sure about the history part for the Eden as its younger than TOC, the New and the Jubilee but certainly its got some great Colt design and more relaxed golf than the New or Jubilee. I would suggest that the New and the Jubilee are similar in quality, and better than TOC though without the sense of occasion that playing TOC brings, although The Jubilee is a degree harder/tighter but still with some very good golf. One thing to consider though is that at this time of year the courses take turns at playing off mats, one month the Eden then the next month the Jubilee etc so you may be restricted in choice if you are keen to play off turf.

If you're going out of town the original St Andrews Bay courses (Torrance/Devlin) and the Dukes have all had extensive redesigns/make overs since I last played them although the bones of the existing courses remain. The old versions were very good modern designs and I suspect the newer versions are as well. I've only walked the Castle but it doesn't look like the kind of course you keep a card to show to your friends afterwards. From what I've heard if you go with a mindset of just having fun, thats what you'll get.

Elie, Balcomie and indeed Scotscraig offer some old fashioned links golf with perhaps less muscle than the New/Jubilee, more like the Eden in that respect.

Jud - whatever you choose, I'm sure you won't go wrong.

Niall

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2011, 10:59:39 AM »

I agree with Bob.

Not sure about the history part for the Eden as its younger than TOC, the New and the Jubilee but certainly its got some great Colt design and more relaxed golf than the New or Jubilee.Niall

Naill,

You are right in regard to the age of the Eden but my remarks were not completely formed. When I wrote history, I was thinking of how good it was before the wretched need to carve up the course for a driving range etc.

Bob

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2011, 12:25:40 PM »
Elie is probably the best course available that you've not played, but it's about 30-35 minutes from St. Andrews.  Crail--Balcomie, at about 15 minutes down-coast, would be an excellent bet.  Otherwise, it sounds like the New is where it's at.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Simon Holt

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2011, 02:29:15 PM »
Michael,

Aside from a student being able to get a Links Trust card at the student rate (170 pounds per annum!), the University is quite good, a bit easier to gain admittance to and less expensive than comparable private schools on this side of the pond.
[/quote]

Jud,

Depending on what she wants to study the school is more than good- it is outstanding!  It is only ranked behind Oxford and Cambridge in the UK, its the 3rd oldest University in the English speaking world (1413) and it has been ranked No. 1 University in the UK for student satisfaction for years.  If it was bigger in terms of research it would be ranked as one of the best in the world.  For teaching it is that standard- certainly in a handful of subjects at least.

Golf- as you can probably detect I was at University in St. Andrews.  Play the New!!!!  The 4th hole pretty much through to the finish is really good.  1-3 isn't bad just a little 'plain Jane'

All the courses mentioned are great but its the new for me.  Check for mats given the time of year and that may influence your decision.

Simon
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2011, 03:05:55 PM »
Why wouldn't you play TOC?
Cave Nil Vino

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2011, 11:00:14 PM »
I think the New is a very good course and worth playing if you have played TOC. I have played the old well over 20 times and the New 5. As you can tell I would try to get worked in on TOC but if time is precious take a time at the New and have a great time.

Niall C

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2011, 02:58:10 PM »

I agree with Bob.

Not sure about the history part for the Eden as its younger than TOC, the New and the Jubilee but certainly its got some great Colt design and more relaxed golf than the New or Jubilee.Niall

Naill,

You are right in regard to the age of the Eden but my remarks were not completely formed. When I wrote history, I was thinking of how good it was before the wretched need to carve up the course for a driving range etc.

Bob

Bob

Indeed, indeed. I just wish I could claim to have played the original course but sadly changes were before my time.

Brian

I know suggesting that TOC isn't the best course in St Andrews goes down like a lead ballon with a lot of people including on this site but you'll find that quite a lot of local golfers are of that opinion. I suspect they can see beyond the history and prestige of playing the course and can judge it purely on its golfing merits. Not saying its a poor course, its not, but there are some including me who don't think it the best in St Andrews. What order those locals would put the courses in, I couldn't tell you but suspect that the New would probably come out top.

Niall

Anthony Gray

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2011, 03:32:42 PM »

I would suggest Crail. Its close and has more personality than the other courses mentioned. And Old Tom.

Anthony

Chris Kane

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2011, 04:56:53 PM »
In my experience a good portion of the locals would consider the New to be the best course in town. For many of them its their 'home' course, as they play a lot more competition and social games there than the Old.

Bear in mind that for six months of the year, the Old is a 4.5-6 hour death march, whereas you can walk up to the first tee on the New or Jubilee and be done in 3-3.5 hours. The New and Jubilee are relaxing, the Old is frustrating. That has to have an impact.

Kin Britton

« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2011, 06:42:13 PM »
I would highly recommend either the New or Jubilee.  New is very good and Jubilee is pretty tough.  If you have the time to make a short drive of 20 minutes, one of my absolute favorites is Lundin.  I am sure there are several who will disagree, but avoid the Castle at all costs.  In three trips and over 30 courses, the most disappointing course I have played in Scotland.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2011, 07:59:19 PM »
Just wondering what the main issue is with the Castle??? I played it the week it opened and then last July, I think they made great strides in making the greens more receptive to a good shot. Some of the fairways have been moved to make them fair.  The  routing is good except for back to back par fives and the two closing holes are memorable. I think calling it a potato field ruined is a bit harsh. Would you folks give me an idea as to why most members want to make it a parking lot??
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Kin Britton

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2011, 08:23:30 PM »
My personal opinion was just the goofiness of the greens took away from the entire experience.  Some really great views and a couple of interesting holes but just would not ever set foot on it again.  Fell in the trap of having to play it because it was the new course in St Andrews and thought "how bad could it be?"....really bad.  I also think it was way overpriced.  I just cannot see playing the Castle when you have Old, New, Jubilee, Crail, Elie, Lundin and all the courses in Carnoustie. The most telling statement about it to me was when we were there in late June of 2010, they were still advertising tee times available during the Open.

Niall C

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2011, 03:04:42 PM »
Brian

I know what you mean about finding it hard to remember. Some times its the general impression the course makes on you that is how you judge rather than being able to do an in depth analysis. In my case I have played the New and the Jubliee (and the Eden) over half a dozen times but in the case of the New and Jube not for 3 or 4 years. TOC I have only played once having got lucky in a phone in. I have however walked it several times including on one occasion with the head greenkeeper, as well as being present at the Open at St Andrews on every occasion since Ballasterous won there.

I suspect many will tell me that I can't possibly fully appreciate TOC on one outing but you could say that about any number of courses if not most. They would probably also say therefore I can't judge it but be that as it may, you can't help judging and I honestly feel the others are better courses. If I'm honest I also mentioned what I had heard locals say about the course to bolster my view. I'm not saying that its an accepted "fact" in St Andrews that TOC isn't the best course, I really don't know if thats the case, but I have heard it said by quite a few.

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back