News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Here it is:

http://www.myphillygolf.com/clubreview.asp?cid=1310

I've played there once after the media day by virtue of my social membership at Talamore. It's not walkable for most but there is a good mix of holes and some quirky ones too. I'll play the blue tees on the front and the yelllow on the back so that I can avoid a 200y forced carry on the par3 14th.I liked the greens and geeen surrounds. The fairways were generous for the most part.

Joe Bausch was there too on the media day so his pics should be here eventually to supplement the review.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 05:00:21 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

mike_malone

Steve,

Reading your comments and Logan's review I'm having a hard time coming up with a reason to go there.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 06:53:47 PM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

Mark McKeever

I played it in the preseason event at Applecross this year with a secret agent.  There are some "interesting features" out there.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Steve_ Shaffer

Mike,

Expand your horizons. Not every course is a Doak 7 or higher.

No doubt that 10 and 14 are strange holes but the strength of the course are the par5s and some of the par4s.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Jason Walker

Look forward to playing...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 10:18:33 PM by Jason Walker »

mike_malone

Jason,

Did you forget the plural on "error" ?
AKA Mayday

Jason Walker

Yes I did.  

« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 10:19:07 PM by Jason Walker »

Steve_ Shaffer

Take a tour of the course courtesy of Prof. Joe Bausch:

http://www.myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/Applecross/index.html

Steve_ Shaffer

Dan Herrmann

Re: Joe Logan reviews Applecross CC(Nicklaus Design) in Chester County, PA
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 07:04:40 PM »
I'm still a little bothered by the apparent marketing of the Nicklaus name to strongly imply it's Jack's design.  (I have no idea about the quality of the course itself - I'm only talking about the marketing)....  Besides, isn't it really a Dave Heatwole design?   I have zero issues with Mr. Heatwole - just credit him in your literature.

Here's their marketing blurb - nowhere does it deny it's a Jack design:
------------------------------

New Nickalus Design at Applecross Is Now Open!

Visit the Media Center for Photos and Information

Applecross Country Club, the Philadelphia area's first Nicklaus-designed golf course opened July 1, 2010. Located less than 40 minutes from Philadelphia in Downingtown, Applecross is a residential golf community featuring a broad array of first-class club amenities.

The 18-hole championship golf course at Applecross weaves through the Chester County countryside providing a unique to the area experience for golfers. Wetlands and water features grace the surroundings of 14 of the holes. In addition to the course, Applecross promises to provide a truly unique lifestyle and Club experience. The club will also feature an expansive clubhouse with multiple dining options.

Adding to the Nicklaus excitement is a unique Multi-Club Membership opportunity as Applecross joins the Talamore Family of Clubs, providing its Members four outstanding Clubs under one membership Umbrella. "For the Chester County - Montgomery County area this is a totally unique Club concept," said Jon Hazelwood, Director of Club Operations for Applecross and Talamore. "At just 45 minutes apart, Applecross and Talamore offer two incredible and unrivaled Club and golf experiences in the Philadelphia area, and having access to our 36-hole Talamore Golf Resort in Pinehurst, NC is the icing on the cake. This fully seamless Membership provides a level of value and variety that is unmatched," stated Hazelwood.
[/tt]
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 07:10:07 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Joe Logan reviews Applecross CC(Nicklaus Design) in Chester County, PA
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 07:35:59 PM »
Dan,

Heatwole was the design associate at Nicklaus Design who worked on the project while he was employed there.

http://www.heatwolegolf.com/new_courses.htm

Michael Nicklaus was there at the press outing I attended. He is part of Nicklaus Design. It's mentioned prominently in all the articles/reviews of Applecross that he was the  lead architect in charge of the project.

A Nicklaus Design project is much less expensive design fee than a Jack Nicklaus Signature  Course.

I agree that there is confusion but...a  firm's design associate is rarely given credit as the lead architect.

Steve_ Shaffer

Applecross has been selected by Golfweek raters to be in the Top 25 Best New for courses opened in 2010-11:

http://www.myphillygolf.com/detail.asp?id=10200&pid=7408

Michael Blake

Applecross has been selected by Golfweek raters to be in the Top 25 Best New for courses opened in 2010-11:

Amazing.  Whoud've thunk that 25 courses actually opened in in that time frame.

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Applecross CC(Nicklaus Design) in Chester County, PA #18 GW Best New
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 05:00:53 PM »
Yes. #18 out of 25.

Dan Herrmann

Re: Applecross CC(Nicklaus Design) in Chester County, PA #18 GW Best New
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 08:38:38 PM »
I'm surprised 25 courses opened anywhere.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back