News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Moore

Rutland Country Club
Rutland, Vermont
Wayne Stiles and John Van Kleek, 1928
6134 yards, par 70

With thanks to Ran Morrissett and in memory of Bob Labbance.

I was lucky to get a warm day and peak foliage at Rutland this week. This course had been described in glowing terms by all who had played it and I came away having fallen hard for the scenery, the impeccable and appropriate maintenance, and most of all the death-by-1000-cuts difficulty.

Holes of note

Third - 170 yards

Partially obscured by a shaggy mound, impossibly steep from left to right, and sculpted just so, this iconic hole kicks the golfer into full alert after a modest start.

Fourth - 481 yards

This hole could be overpowered or badly botched by a long hitter, and provides great interest for everyone from tee to green. A blind tee shot into a sloping fairway may impede a free swing with the driver. The second shot is again blind, but an extreme drive may have come to rest on a handy upslope. The green is small, very steep from back to front, guarded by bunkers, and abutting six backyards.

Sixth - 415 yards

This hole begins a sequence of remarkably diverse and enjoyable par-fours. The tee shot is to a target that is confused by a bunker, a boulder, a mountain range, and a couple of hairy patches, the latter being a feature that is used wonderfully on this short course. At 260 yards the fairway plunges steeply downhill, so the approach may be blind or off a testy lie. Anything to the right of the generous green will probably end up in East Brook.

Full concentration is required, as many shots at Rutland do not reveal an obvious target.

Seventh - 361 yards

Back over the river and steeply uphill. The bunkers on the right serve in interesting dual purpose, saving the bomber from a lost ball while ensnaring a leak from others. Yet another approach where you can't see the green, of which I encountered eleven, and it is always difficult to score when you can't see what you are doing.

Eighth - 372 yards

One of the most unlikely green sites I have ever come across. After a drive down the plain fairway, this pushed-up green is almost like an oasis.

Stiles and Van Kleek were always able to convert the simple into the sublime

Eleventh - 323 yards

This hole is oozing with charm from tee to green and encapsulates all that is great about Rutland - insistence on precise play, a disregard for total yardage, scenery that slowly unfolds as you walk around a corner and up a slope, and, yes, maddening putting surfaces. The fairway indicates that you can draw your ball or let the ground do it for you, but other than that offers nothing at all for a target. The green at the top of a ridge is just fifteen yards wide.

Twelfth - 205 yards

Look out, it's the signature hole, a stunning one-shotter. The clever play is to bounce it in from the right, but the line of charm is a full twenty yards off-base and extends all the way to Bald Mountain.

Fourteenth - 393 yards

The kitchen sink  - a panoramic spectacle from the tee box, a fairway that is fifty yards wide with most of it leading to a bogey, an enormous ledge that attracts the eye and the ball into a terrible spot, and a nerve-wracking approach that is even harder than it looks. Just about a perfect golf hole.

Eighteenth - 398 yards

A compelling finish, with a blind tee shot and, after a day of them, the most outrageously tilted green on the course.

Sure, there are a few awkward transitional holes around the brook and the high point of the property, but otherwise this course was a joy to play. Every mistake will cost you a bogey, and mistakes are easy to come by, including and especially from three feet away. It almost goes without saying that this course is playable for all and meant for walking. With the possible exception of Prouts Neck, after Taconic this is surely the second greatest eighteen holes that Stiles and Van Kleek turned out.

Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Mike Cirba

Re: Rutland Country Club - Stiles & Van Kleek - PHOTOGRAPHS and review
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 09:02:10 PM »
Wow.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 10:24:25 PM »
Looks pretty cool and very fun.

And I just looked at their site and saw that full annual dues are less than $2000. Awesome.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 11:12:11 PM »
Rutland is a great layout, probably the #1 course in Vermont if Ekwanok wasn't in the state too!

I've played the course maybe 15 times, and it never fails to disappoint.  Few courses that clock in at 6150 contain so much variety, or a 245-yard par three.

I once was 4-under on the 16th tee, and hyperventilated 3 bogeys in for 69...RCC will yield some good scores, but bogeys are lurking just under the surface on every hole.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Frank M

Re: Rutland Country Club - Stiles & Van Kleek - PHOTOGRAPHS and review New
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 11:35:54 PM »
Love Vermont and the course looks great.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2024, 08:33:11 PM by Frank M »

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 07:50:55 AM »
Mr Moore,

How were the roads post-Irene? Here is a picture from a members post-Irene pictures:

Full album:

https://picasaweb.google.com/112027500117094359983/IRENEINRUTLANDVTAUG282011?feat=email

Brad Tufts

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 09:42:33 AM »
Holy crap!

The video on that guy's site of the water washing over the bridge...that river is usually about 15-20 feet below the bottom of that bridge!
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Sean_A

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 03:48:39 AM »
Mr Moore

Thank you for the pix.  I really like the look of this course and I bet the atmosphere is superb.  Some of the bunker placement looks a bit unusual and makes me want to get a bigger picture of what is going on.  You and Sweeney have showcased some lovely stuff in the Northeast.  It would be wonderful if you would bundle it together as a tour in an Opinion piece.  I often try to find your stuff and it seems to be lost in time so here is hoping you will take up my suggestion.   

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 06:33:28 AM »
Mr Moore

Thank you for the pix.  I really like the look of this course and I bet the atmosphere is superb.  Some of the bunker placement looks a bit unusual and makes me want to get a bigger picture of what is going on.  You and Sweeney have showcased some lovely stuff in the Northeast.  It would be wonderful if you would bundle it together as a tour in an Opinion piece.  I often try to find your stuff and it seems to be lost in time so here is hoping you will take up my suggestion.   

Ciao

Rather than a serious essay, here is a New England tour that was meant as a cheap shot at JC Jones! Enjoy:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,46242.0.html

We have an opening for one person at Yale on Sunday October 23rd for anyone that was to play in the "Mike Whitaker Farewell to Broadway Tour" @ 11:40 AM. If Sean jumps on a plane it is his, otherwise anyone feel free to contact me if you want to play. We have three groups playing.

Pete Blaisdell

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 07:51:04 AM »
Mike
  Enjoyed your pictures! Rutland CC on a beautiful fall day is as good as it gets. I've always felt that Wayne Stiles was never given his due as an architect especially in creating memorable green sites. Rutland is a good example. Other Stiles creations to note are Keene CC (toughest 6000 yard track on the planet), Nashua CC, Thorny Lea, Hooper GC (one of the great 9 holers), Oak Hill & CC of Pittsfield (remodels) and of course, his best was Taconic (one of my all time top 50).
  Personally, I rate Rutland to be Vermont's best with Ekwanok #2. A few years ago,casting an eye to retirement at some point , I made a list of 32 New England (excluding CT.) courses that I must play one more time before the good Lord DQ's me. Rutland is on that list. I want to play it on an Indian summer day.
  Glad you mentioned Bob, I miss him!!
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

Michael Moore

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 10:07:25 AM »
Mike -

I took Route 4 all the way from White River Junction through Woodstock and Killington. There was extreme hurricane damage in the lower areas and the more curvy sections of the Ottauquechee River. Many parking lots and fields have gone missing and the river was at times littered with automobiles and house parts.

Sean -

Thanks for the kind words. Sweeney has turned me on to your tours, which are always striking and reveal the hidden underbelly of golf your part of the world. I am not sure how I would go about packaging a formal essay on all this, but I will say that that there is also a tiny but extraordinary vein of mom-and-pop golf in Maine.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 01:48:36 PM »
The Sweeney

It was a kind gesture to play Yale (its high on my dream list), but alas, a pond separates us in more than a metophorical manner. 

Mike

Interesting and unique low budget/Ma & Pa operations drive my boat.  Maybe one day I will make it to Maine and it's southern neighbours. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back