News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Questions for Huggan, Shackleton and Clayton
« on: October 25, 2011, 12:51:27 PM »
OK, so you have a hard hitting journalist (Huggan), golfing commentator and writer (Shackleford) and an over the hill, sorry, up and coming gca (Clayton) cornered in one room. You have the spotlight on them and they can't escape.

What questions do you want to ask them ?

(Mike - no peeking)

Niall

astavrides

Re: Questions for Huggan, Shackleton and Clayton
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 01:13:16 PM »
Mr. Shacklewhatever,

Did you find any good land in Antarctica for the next incarnation of Rustic Canyon?

Niall C

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 01:25:00 PM »
Well spotted, and if I knew how I would change it but as I don't the typo will need to remain !!

Gary Slatter

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 01:28:35 PM »
how soon can we expect the first Rory M. course?  before the first Luke D course? :)
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 01:44:09 PM »
Ask them who wrote the following, and have them give their reflections on it.

"In a very real sense, The Old Course and perhaps a few other seminal links are the foundation of our collective understanding of golf.  To apply OUR modern understanding of golf to The Old Course and find IT flawed, is silly.  OUR understanding of golf is always going to be limited.  By contrast, The Old Course has stood for hundreds of years, sorting out players hitting featheries to hand-cut holes, down to the most recent Open Championship.  It has seen way more than we'll ever see, and it still manages to assert its relevance, as much as we've tried to screw up the game we play over it.  If you think you are smarter than The Old Course, you need to think some more."

"[Let's just take a simple example.  There are plenty of genius Americans who go to St. Andrews and think it outrageous that a road and the former railway line and the o.b. sheds are all factors in playing the golf course.  To them, such features should never be a part of golf.  How do we know they're wrong?  Only because they have existed in play at St. Andrews for all time.  Without that precedent, such features would be eliminated from the game by people who don't understand it.]"

« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 01:46:19 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back