News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Re: Bandon Trails - bulldoze and start over...
« Reply #225 on: November 03, 2011, 04:18:53 PM »
Mac,

That's the problem! You rode the trolley. I made the walk, and came out of the forest to discover a great golf hole at 14. Followed by nearly as good a golf hole at 15. ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

William_G

« Reply #226 on: November 03, 2011, 04:27:26 PM »
Mac,

That's the problem! You rode the trolley. I made the walk, and came out of the forest to discover a great golf hole at 14. Followed by nearly as good a golf hole at 15. ;)

Mac, I know you have bum wheels, but the forest walk does connect the holes but also reminds you that you are leaving the forest and going back towards the beach where you started...

and I agree with you that the hole by comps do nothing in that they are comparing Apples and Oranges when taken in context of a "real" golf experiencewhere all the elements including the routing effect the experience....

Thanks
It's all about the golf!

Brad Isaacs

« Reply #227 on: November 03, 2011, 04:35:33 PM »
On my recent trip, we beat the trolley and had to walk (clubs on back) to the 14th tee.  It really wasn't that bad.

I think they have softened BD too much.  Some great holes, but some blandness is creeping in. 

Will,

I agree with you. Too much of the green jungle has been removed. Idid not like seeing 5 green from7 tee.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #228 on: November 03, 2011, 04:35:45 PM »
Gray and Garland...

I think you are correct.  I asked if I could do that, take the forest walk.  And I was told that I couldn't.  They said that management wasn't allowing anyone to walk anymore.  Is that not true?

Now, I absolutely think that would have changed the "vibe" of the routing.  Kind of like a little adventure, 13th hole, forest walk, vista view.  Kind of like an adventure.  That probably works.

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Michael George

« Reply #229 on: November 03, 2011, 04:38:02 PM »
Mac:

I loved 14 as an individual golf hole.  However, I think you have a point that it is inconsistent with the other 17 golf holes.  I did feel it was not as natural as the other holes on the course - and I took the walk.  I didn't mind walking up the wooded path to the tee, but maybe if the tee box was lowered a bit, it would have a more natural feel and still have a great view.

Still a great hole but a valid point.
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Garland Bayley

« Reply #230 on: November 03, 2011, 04:38:32 PM »
Gray and Garland...

I think you are correct.  I asked if I could do that, take the forest walk.  And I was told that I couldn't.  They said that management wasn't allowing anyone to walk anymore.  Is that not true?

You asked??? What did you do??? Call the pro shop??? Just go walk for gosh sakes!!! Golf is a walking game!!! Bandon is a walking resort!!!
Your statement does not compute!!!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Michael George

« Reply #231 on: November 03, 2011, 04:44:05 PM »
I was at Bandon 2 months ago and had to ask to make the walk.  The staff were surprised by my request and joked at how hard the walk was going to be.  I didn't think it was that bad at all, but they certainly did not invite me to walk it.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 04:47:21 PM by Michael George »
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Mac Plumart

« Reply #232 on: November 03, 2011, 04:45:54 PM »
My statement doesn't compute?  Huh?   ???

The two caddies, the three other players, and I walked off the green.  I was last off the green and followed them up the hill.  They all walked right to the trolley and sat down.  I followed suit.  Someone mentioned the "Forest Walk", I looked around saw the sign, started to get up and said I'd like to make the walk.  The caddies said we aren't allowed to make that walk anymore as someone died fairly recently walking from hole 13 to 14 tee.  So, I sat back down and we made the drive.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #233 on: November 03, 2011, 05:03:46 PM »
My statement doesn't compute?  Huh?   ???

The two caddies, the three other players, and I walked off the green.  I was last off the green and followed them up the hill.  They all walked right to the trolley and sat down.  I followed suit.  Someone mentioned the "Forest Walk", I looked around saw the sign, started to get up and said I'd like to make the walk.  The caddies said we aren't allowed to make that walk anymore as someone died fairly recently walking from hole 13 to 14 tee.  So, I sat back down and we made the drive.

My guess is that your caddies had a game lined up at the course in town and wanted to speed things up. 
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Mac Plumart

« Reply #234 on: November 03, 2011, 05:05:19 PM »
Sven...

I think you are right.  That is a shame.  Next time I'll make that walk.  Caddie's advice be damned!!

Michael George

« Reply #235 on: November 03, 2011, 05:09:55 PM »

If you are back there, make sure you ask for Harry Lusk as a caddie.  My group had about 16 caddies during the trip and he was by far the best.  Great guy, great caddie - never a complaint or hint that he had other plans. 

He actually caddied for the guy that won the US Publinks that was there this summer.  He is hoping to get invited to caddie for him at Augusta but thinks he is going to get his brother to carry his bag.

William_G

« Reply #236 on: November 03, 2011, 05:16:50 PM »
The unfortunate story I remember hearing 3-4yrs ago... is that it was a course marshall who was playing golf late one evening and died of a heart attack on the bench at the 14th tee, on the green of #13, according to a former HR director.

And thus the trolley was added as a courtesy for players and for speed of play...

The forest walk is still open and anyone is welcome to do it.

thanks
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 04:05:30 PM by William Grieve »
It's all about the golf!

Ben Sims

« Reply #237 on: November 03, 2011, 07:31:29 PM »
Just finished a trip to Bandon.  My split looked like this...

2 OM
2.5 Pac (short round due to catching up with friends between 3 and 13)
2 Trails
1 Preserve
1 Sheep Ranch

That will be my lineup for every trip I make there from now on.  Pac is still the belle of the ball and may be the best course built in the last 20 years.  Mac may have the best shot values of any golf course I've ever played and deserves strong attention as a worthy companion to it's older Renaissance sister, if not quite as great.  Preserve is legit (even off mats and rolling very slowly due to grow-in) and anyone that says they won't play it while they are at the resort is a fascist.

Then we come to Trails.  I'm with my buddy Mahaffey, I'm lying down in front of the dozer.  In fact, I'm bringing an assault rifle in case the threat Caterpillar-assisted sacrifice isn't enough.  I just can't respect the premise of this thread.  The golf course is an absolute achievement and I enjoy it more with every time I get to play it.  I think #14 is a debatable hole, but it's not poorly conceived.  It is the solution of a routing problem presented by finding such a spectacular hole at #15. 

Bandon Trails should occupy the same place in golf architecture as other C&C work, without qualification. 

Garland Bayley

« Reply #238 on: November 03, 2011, 07:32:59 PM »
Sven...

I think you are right.  That is a shame.  Next time I'll make that walk.  Caddie's advice be damned!!

So now you admit it didn't compute. ;)

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #239 on: November 03, 2011, 08:59:32 PM »
Referring to post #1...  BT is an excellent golf course.  That rater was crazy.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #240 on: November 03, 2011, 10:21:22 PM »
Sven...

So now you admit it didn't compute. ;)

Yes.  Now I see what you were getting at.  Sometimes I have a tough time following you PhD smart guy types.   :)

Bart Bradley

« Reply #241 on: November 03, 2011, 10:29:10 PM »
This is all very interesting to me.   When I played Trails, my caddie urged me to walk the trail.  He told me that he knew I would enjoy the walk and insisted that I do it.  So I have never taken the trolley.  Mac, definitely take the walk.  It is not that long or strenous.

I think the Trails is a fabulous course and a true adventure of the spirit.  Just leave it alone and appreciate the journey.

Bart

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #242 on: November 04, 2011, 01:05:25 AM »
This is all very interesting to me.   When I played Trails, my caddie urged me to walk the trail.  He told me that he knew I would enjoy the walk and insisted that I do it.  So I have never taken the trolley.  Mac, definitely take the walk.  It is not that long or strenous.

I think the Trails is a fabulous course and a true adventure of the spirit.  Just leave it alone and appreciate the journey.

Bart

Bart:

I'd venture you came across the rare breed of "send my player on a walk in the woods while I have a cigarette" caddy.  Probably not even a golfer.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

David Botimer

« Reply #243 on: November 04, 2011, 02:24:38 AM »

Bart

Bart:

I'd venture you came across the rare breed of "send my player on a walk in the woods while I have a cigarette" caddy.  Probably not even a golfer.

Sven, In the words of Sean Maguire "you arrogant ....... prick".  I've been looping at BD for 6 years and have NEVER observed a caddy encourage his player to take a walk at that spot so he could have a smoke.  No, I don't smoke, and yes, I've occasionally encouraged an energetic player to enjoy the walk.  Why?  Because it's a beautiful walk...... 

Jud_T

« Reply #244 on: November 04, 2011, 08:48:04 AM »
Just finished a trip to Bandon.  My split looked like this...

2 OM
2.5 Pac (short round due to catching up with friends between 3 and 13)
2 Trails
1 Preserve
1 Sheep Ranch

To each his own, but this sounds just about perfect to me...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Michael George

« Reply #245 on: November 04, 2011, 09:16:35 AM »

Ben:

I know you are a Doak guy, but to not play Bandon Dunes is a mistake.  Every course on that property owes a great deal to Bandon Dunes.  Without it, there is no other course.  Plus, there is a different flow to Bandon Dunes than the other courses.  Kidd builds crescendos throughout the round where he leads you to #4 and then provides you the ocean holes of 4-6 and then takes you back inland and then teases you with the ocean again on #12 and then leads you inland only to provide you one last bang with #15-#17.  A person like yourself starting in the field should not limt yourself.  David Kidd is a great gca and Bandon Dunes is a great golf course. 

If Doak or C&C designed the course, people on this site would be lauding it as a must play.  I hear criticisms of #13 being a bland hole, but it is every bit as good as #15 at Pacific Dunes and #17 at Old Mac.  I will agree wth the criticisms of 9 and 18 lacking a lot of strategic value, but I don't think that is enough to totally discard it on a trip.

Jud_T

« Reply #246 on: November 04, 2011, 09:22:37 AM »
Michael,

Some of us have played Bandon Dunes several times and feel that to play it at the expense of missing another round on any of the other courses at the resort would be a bigger mistake. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 09:24:22 AM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Michael George

« Reply #247 on: November 04, 2011, 09:38:06 AM »

If you are trying to even the number of rounds that you have played, than I understand.  If you think Old Mac or Bandon Trails are so much better than Bandon Dunes to warrant playing them twice and not Bandon dunes once, IMHO, you are wrong. 

When I return to Bandon, my itenerary (excluding the Sheep Ranch - as I will go in summer) will be:

Wed - Bandon Trails and Pacific Dunes and late run through Bandon Preserve
Thur - Bandon Dunes and Old Macdonald and late run through Shortys
Fri -    Pacific Dunes and Bandon Trails and late run through Bandon Preserve
Sat -  Old MacDonald and Pacific Dunes

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #248 on: November 04, 2011, 11:38:00 AM »

Bart

Bart:

Sven, In the words of Sean Maguire "you arrogant ....... prick".  I've been looping at BD for 6 years and have NEVER observed a caddy encourage his player to take a walk at that spot so he could have a smoke.  No, I don't smoke, and yes, I've occasionally encouraged an energetic player to enjoy the walk.  Why?  Because it's a beautiful walk...... 

David:

Respectfully, relax.  It was a joke.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #249 on: November 04, 2011, 11:55:36 AM »

Bart

Bart:

Sven:

Completely untrue.  I had the same caddy several days in a row.  He had come to understand my love of "the walk" and wanted me to have the best experience possible.  The walk did afford some interesting views of the property and I am not sure that you could get those views from the trolley.

Bart

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back