News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael J. Moss

Golf recommendations: Cabos San Lucas
« on: February 21, 2012, 01:38:44 PM »
Sure this has been asked before, so apologies first...

but...

Would the community please offer up their top 4 golf courses in the Cabo San Lucas area.

I'm excited to be heading there soon.

Muchas gracias!

David Hendler

Re: Golf recommendations: Cabos San Lucas
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 01:48:24 PM »
Sure this has been asked before, so apologies first...

but...

Would the community please offer up their top 4 golf courses in the Cabo San Lucas area.

I'm excited to be heading there soon.

Muchas gracias!

I've only played one course there, but it was AWESOME. The Ocean Course at Cabo del Sol. I've heard Diamonte is as good or better...

Jud_T

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 02:01:12 PM »
yup,

Cabo deo Sol Ocean and Diamante are must plays.  If you feel like being adventurous, make the drive up to Bahia de los Suenos, but it's pretty far for a day trip...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 02:31:01 PM »
Diamante and cabo del sol...play them both twice...that is the four best rounds in cabo ;D

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 02:38:56 PM »
In addition to the aforementioned Diamante & Cabo del Sol, there is Fazio's Querencia although it is private.  I have no idea in regards to driving times in that region, but Doak's Bay of Dreams is 125 kilometres away as the crow flies.

TK

Howard Riefs

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 02:56:28 PM »
If you need to be convinced to play Diamante, George Freeman's super photo tour should do the trick.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,46811.0.html
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 03:05:32 PM »
I'm looking at making the trip in 2012 and am pretty open as far as schedule.  What are the best times of year to visit and are there any that I should stay away from?

Greg Tallman

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 03:08:01 PM »
As noted Diamante and our (Cabo del Sol) Ocean Course are head and shoulders above the rest of the golf offerings in the area though that is not to say the others are not very good in their own right.

Your only access to Diamante is through a timeshare sales presentation after which you still pay the full freight. Don't know your tolerance for such sales programs but I woudl generally say it is worth it.

Scratch the Bahia de los Suenos suggestions for now as they are in the midst of ownership change or lack of ownership change... and are not maintaining the facility to any standard at this time. Ditto for Querencia at this time where a lack of water from May through mid-October baked all but the greens and efforts to revive the dormant bermuda have been mixed.

Best lineup:

CDS Ocean
Diamante
CDS Desert (Wesikopf)
Club Campestre San José (funky greens courtesy of GCA's own Kurt Bowman)

Send me a PM if you would like assistance with any other advice for your upcoming trip as I would be happy to help.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 03:10:31 PM »
I'm looking at making the trip in 2012 and am pretty open as far as schedule.  What are the best times of year to visit and are there any that I should stay away from?

Only time you want to avoid is late July through early October (really August & September). Perfect time is first week of December... nobody around and courses are generally in the best condition of the year.

Week before Thanksgiving would be a time to avoid as CDS will be 100% occupied with a big event. 

John Handley

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 04:16:34 PM »
I am playing Diamante for the first time this Saturday.  I will report back but really looking forward to it.
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

Howard Riefs

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 04:44:32 PM »

Only time you want to avoid is late July through early October (really August & September). Perfect time is first week of December... nobody around and courses are generally in the best condition of the year.

Point being, avoid the heart of hurricane season.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Greg Tallman

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 05:55:58 PM »

Point being, avoid the heart of hurricane season.

We would welcome a nice slow moving cat 1 about now after nearly 36 months with about 6" total rainfall.

With or without storm activity those times are the warmest and most humid as well as prime time for major maintenance programs.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 01:29:37 PM »
A timely Golfweek article on golf and lodging options in Los Cabos.

http://golfweek.com/news/2012/feb/24/los-cabos-golf-and-views-are-perfect-pairing/

Anthony Gray

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 08:49:54 PM »
Diamante and cabo del sol...play them both twice...that is the four best rounds in cabo ;D

Agreed

Anthony Gray

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 08:51:10 PM »

Don't go downtown with the pro from Cabo.

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back