News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Kelly

Re: Don't Be "That Guy"
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2011, 10:43:21 AM »
There's a guy at my course who offers the sensible advice that "You're not good enough to get mad."

At which point does he offer this sensible advice?
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2011, 10:54:37 AM »
There's a guy at my course who offers the sensible advice that "You're not good enough to get mad."

Fortunately, I've only heard it in the bar. He got it from his dad, and he'll work it into the conversation now and then.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2011, 03:26:47 PM »

Fortunately, I've only heard it in the bar. He got it from his dad, and he'll work it into the conversation now and then.

As in the golf swing itself, Timing is everything.  I've found the effectiveness of that line diminishes the closer they are to the maddening shot.

Not sure who I learned it from, but that advice has stuck with me for years.  I suppose post-round bar is the optimal delivery time, because the person is:

-  Calmer at that point and able to reflect better; or
-  Still holding onto it, at which point they are in dire need of the reality check

Of course, I could be "That Guy" who's always trying to get people to lighten up, even if they don't want to.

Cory Lewis

« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2011, 03:39:16 PM »
One that I just noticed:

Guy plays the same course two days in a row.  You play with him on day 2 and he plays like crap. All day you hear Yesterday I did this and yesterday I did that, yesterday I birdied this hole, yesterday I hit it to a foot on this hole.  I don't care about yesterday!
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Steve Strasheim

« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2011, 04:39:28 PM »
How about That Guy that misses a 10 foot birdie attempt, then says "I can make that" and misses 4 more attempts while the group behind is waiting to hit the green. Or, is That Guy the one who stands at the hole and returns his ball to him 4 times.

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #80 on: October 29, 2011, 10:47:56 AM »
Just recently – „That Gal“explaining to me how she wanted pink diamonds mounted into the rear face of her irons so they would match her rings (true story – I think she was joking - I hope she was joking)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back