News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Smolens

Re: Don't Be "That Guy"
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2011, 12:24:05 PM »
"That guy" is an American that would never wear knickers at home, yet insists on wearing them on his Scotland golf holiday.

Careful there Mr. Salmen or the purple knickers are going to come out at the next GCA outing. Consider this fair warning. . . :D

ward peyronnin

« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2011, 12:32:54 PM »
That Guy................

who is a 20+++ Hndcp who waits until it is his turn to line up his putt from four directions when his stroke is so poor he has no way of knowing where it will go

I always say there is nothing worse than  a serious,  bad golfer
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Kalen Braley

« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2011, 12:34:50 PM »
That Guy................

who is a 20+++ Hndcp who waits until it is his turn to line up his putt from four directions when his stroke is so poor he has no way of knowing where it will go

+1...

Or the corollary to this where a hacker takes 3 practice swings and 10 Sergio waggles before hitting the ball 100 feet....and then doing same all over again on their ensuing shots.  I payed with one golfer like this....never again!!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2011, 01:24:20 PM »
That Guy................

Hyperbole alert!

"no way of knowing where it will go", and "serious, ... golfer".

Sorry, but I have seen a lot of serious good golfers that have no feel on the greens. When I get in scrambles with them, it's like you provide the full swings, I'll provide the putts.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tim Martin

« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2011, 04:45:06 PM »
That Guy................

Nothing irks me more than That Guy waiting to read his putt as Ward describes with a few plum bobs thrown in for effect in addition to all the other pageantry involved when he had time to do all of this before it was his turn. Of course he has the wrong eye closed when bobbing it. Excruciating is not a strong enough adjective to describe this process. Rant over.

Sean_A

« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2011, 06:42:05 PM »
My "That Guy" always asks after lagging up to 5 feet "is that good" in a match play money game. I usually respond that in a parallel universe it would be but why don`t you putt it anyway.

5 feet?  I am not inclined to give two footers if someone asks for it.  One of my golden rules in golf is if someone wants a gift he needs to give a gift.  I can be quite generous if someone is asking for good - good.  Another golden rule is if I give a shot on the tee I certainly don't expect to give one on the green.  Yes, I am that guy who doesn't like being asked questions when I am preparing for a shot. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Tim Martin

« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2011, 06:50:29 PM »
My "That Guy" always asks after lagging up to 5 feet "is that good" in a match play money game. I usually respond that in a parallel universe it would be but why don`t you putt it anyway.

5 feet?  I am not inclined to give two footers if someone asks for it.  One of my golden rules in golf is if someone wants a gift he needs to give a gift.  I can be quite generous if someone is asking for good - good.  Another golden rule is if I give a shot on the tee I certainly don't expect to give one on the green.  Yes, I am that guy who doesn't like being asked questions when I am preparing for a shot. 

Ciao

Is there anything better than offering the good good and having it declined only to make yourself and having the guy that said no miss? Even better is to have him miss badly.  ::) ::)

Sean_A

« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2011, 06:55:22 PM »

Ciao

Is there anything better than offering the good good and having it declined only to make yourself and having the guy that said no miss? Even better is to have him miss badly.  ::) ::)

Tim

Funny that, I don't reckon it happens much to me.  Usually folks are happy to pick up and kick on.  Mind you, I usually don't try to dupe guys with the obvious downhill/uphill discrepency or if he falls for good-good he loses the hole - UNLESS, I think that guy would (or has) do it to me - tee hee. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Tim Martin

« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2011, 07:05:00 PM »
Sean-I agree that it is rare indeed but delightful nonetheless. ;D

Sam Morrow

« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2011, 07:09:26 PM »
That guy is the amateur telling the virtues of the long or belly putter.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 07:18:27 PM by Sam Morrow »

Jason Walker

« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2011, 09:26:30 PM »
Sam-

Please take this as it's intended....

But "that guy" in my circles is the guy who starts a "that guy" conversation...

Sam Morrow

« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2011, 09:36:58 PM »
Sam-

Please take this as it's intended....

But "that guy" in my circles is the guy who starts a "that guy" conversation...

No love my friend? :D

Jason Walker

« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2011, 09:40:04 PM »
I couldn't resist!  :)

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2011, 10:31:37 PM »
Sandbaggers are almost always "That Guy."
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Sam Morrow

« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2011, 10:33:46 PM »
Sandbaggers are almost always "That Guy."

I think reverse sandbaggers with their "vandicaps" are usually that guy.

Dave McCollum

« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2011, 11:07:52 PM »
I played in a team match play tourney (best ball) and the two guys we were playing didn’t give straight uphill nine inch putts.  No problem, they putted all of theirs.  The matches were nine-hole matches and timed.  We had two hours to play and get to our next match.  When they got 2-up, they went into glacial golf mode so the match would time out.  We’d be waiting at the green before they hit their approach shots.  We were tempted to do a Roy Sabatini and just putt out and tee off on the next hole, but we lost before we had the chance.   Humorless bastards, too.  Despite the poor sportsmanship, the golf was pretty good:  there was at least one birdie on every hole.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2011, 11:34:28 PM »
I played in a team match play tourney (best ball) and the two guys we were playing didn’t give straight uphill nine inch putts.  No problem, they putted all of theirs.  The matches were nine-hole matches and timed.  We had two hours to play and get to our next match.  When they got 2-up, they went into glacial golf mode so the match would time out.  We’d be waiting at the green before they hit their approach shots.  We were tempted to do a Roy Sabatini and just putt out and tee off on the next hole, but we lost before we had the chance.   Humorless bastards, too.  Despite the poor sportsmanship, the golf was pretty good:  there was at least one birdie on every hole.

GCA'ers? ;)

Dave McCollum

« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2011, 12:01:22 AM »
Nope.  Despite the verbal pissing matches that go on here from time to time, golf nuts are pretty good guys.  These were just run-of-the-mill dickheads who played tournaments because nobody wanted to play with them at their own club.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2011, 12:03:39 AM »
Nope.  Despite the verbal pissing matches that go on here from time to time, golf nuts are pretty good guys.  These were just run-of-the-mill dickheads who played tournaments because nobody wanted to play with them at their own club.

Two GCA'ers who I shouldn't name (Jason Topp and Cory Lewis) said I was that guy for rocking my GCA Sun Mountain bag. I think they were jealous.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2011, 12:16:22 AM »
Sam,

I'm at a loss when you say you were  "...rocking (your) GCA Sun Mountain bag". I am culturally stunted regarding the American lexicon but just in case.......do you mean showing off yer bag?

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Sam Morrow

« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2011, 12:17:05 AM »
Sam,

I'm at a loss when you say you were  "...rocking (your) GCA Sun Mountain bag". I am culturally stunted regarding the American lexicon but just in case.......do you mean showing off yer bag?

Cheers Colin

I was showing it off, I didn't buy it to keep it in a closet.

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2011, 02:59:16 AM »
"That guy" is the serious golfer who flushes it all day but can't putt for peanuts. 

He then goes on and on about how many greens he hit and says 'if I could putt I'd have shot....'  with an air of dismissiveness towards the art of putting.

@Pure_Golf

Kalen Braley

« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2011, 09:30:53 AM »
That guy...

...is the guy who brags about shooting 75 a few weeks ago, yet is seen giving himself perferred lies in the rough/fairway, taking a mulligan on the 1st tee, and giving himself 5 footers on the green.

JMEvensky

« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2011, 10:12:19 AM »

"That guy" is the serious golfer who flushes it all day but can't putt for peanuts. 

He then goes on and on about how many greens he hit and says 'if I could putt I'd have shot....'  with an air of dismissiveness towards the art of putting.

So Ben Hogan was "that guy"?

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2011, 10:16:20 AM »

So Ben Hogan was "that guy"?

There's a guy at my course who offers the sensible advice that "You're not good enough to get mad." It applies to almost everyone -- but not to Hogan.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back