News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Re: Don't Be "That Guy"
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2011, 07:24:16 PM »
Hi Bill

All I will say is how come no one has responded to the following "Scottish golf is stupid and not golf"  Proves Sam has learnt zero from this site and come to that very few seem to disagree with his statement.

Have a nice evening

Melvyn

Melvyn, Sam was quoting, not endorsing, a third party's comment.  In fact, a list of stupid remarks.   He was merely the reporter, not the speaker. 

Michael Moore

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2011, 07:24:54 PM »
Sam -

This site is "presented to promote frank commentary on golf course architecture".  How do the quotations that you presented stray from this mission?

Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Eric Smith

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2011, 07:34:26 PM »
Strict rules of golf Goldfinger.

Cory Lewis

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2011, 07:36:07 PM »
My examples of "That Guy":

Keeps saying we've seen this hole before.

Complains about the bunkers that pinch the fairway at 300 yards off the tee because he can reach them

Complains about too many doglegs one way or the other
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Sam Morrow

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2011, 11:40:29 PM »
Sam -

This site is "presented to promote frank commentary on golf course architecture".  How do the quotations that you presented stray from this mission?

Michael,

While I see your point I think someone can be ignorant while still giving their frank commentary, don't you think? Or you can be Melvyn and not bother to read anything.

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2011, 12:01:49 AM »
Melvin, repeat after Emily...

Adam Clayman

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2011, 12:09:28 AM »
That Guy;

"That's not fair"

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mark Pearce

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2011, 03:04:28 AM »
Melvyn,

Honestly, you'll get more out of this website, and we'll get more out of your contributions, if you actally bother to read what others have posted before launching off.  You obviously hadn't read Sam's OP because even a semi-literate drunken oaf would have understood that Sam was decrying "that guy" who might make the statement you complain of, rather than endorsing it.

You won't get respect from most on here whilst you continue to make an idiot of yourself as you have on this thread.  Which is a shame because much of what you have to contribute is valuable.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2011, 06:31:07 AM »

Sam

Clearly I have misread your post and so apologise and withdraw all my comments. The error was total mine and
so it is only fair that I do sincerely apologise for my mistakes.

Melvyn

Lou_Duran

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2011, 12:16:48 PM »
While we're erecting a more perfect straw man, how about the corporate manager, former Division I athlete in another sport who gets enraged by hitting poor shots then proceeds to play at a five hour pace, hitting and counting every stroke, while checking on football scores on his I-phone and failing to rake bunkers or fix ball marks?

I've played with my share of GCAers and, from time to time, we have all sinned.  As a group, I actually think that Tolerance is one of our greatest virtues- another being that we don't hold each other accountable when our actions are at variance with our word. ;)  As TEPaul used to say, "golf is a big world".

Garland Bayley

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2011, 12:28:09 PM »

Sam

Clearly I have misread your post and so apologise and withdraw all my comments. The error was total mine and
so it is only fair that I do sincerely apologise for my mistakes.

Melvyn

Thanks Melvyn,

My "That guy" on this site is the guy (or guys) that make mistakes in reading or understanding, but don't fess up.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Joe Sponcia

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2011, 03:59:21 PM »
Funny topic! 

One that really gets me is the high and mighty, "We prefer to walk at my club (said with an air of Tillinghastian/Rossian/Raynorian/Macdonaldian flair)" guy, that if offered a cart for Free to $5, would take it in two seconds. 
Joe

"If the hole is well designed, a fairway can't be too wide".

- Mike Nuzzo

Rick Sides

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2011, 04:14:20 PM »
Another "that guy(s)"  is a group of 5 jerks at my club that always have to play in a group of 5 and hold things up for others.  Management is afraid to say anything because these 5 idiots spend so much money at the club.  These are also the same 5 nitwits who camp out in the restaurant and scream back and forth to each other hypothetical bets.

Tim Johnson

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2011, 04:53:19 PM »
The guy in a 4 ball scramble who talks of how he must be off today because usually he is "golden" from 150 yds and contributes nothing to the team. I'm a 9 handicap and I am not even golden putting for bird from 3'.

The guy who constantly speaks of his handicap from back in the day was a 4 and has trouble breaking 90. For the most part, a golfer can tell if a guy was ever what he claimed to be.

David_Elvins

« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2011, 05:06:09 PM »
I think i must be more tolerant than most (or play less competetive golf than most).

The only time I have really worried about a playing partner was the time when a guy said the the following:

whilst waiting on the Second Tee: "My dad and I find broken tees and refurbish them in our garage".

whilst waiting on third tee: " Why am I wasting time standing around talking when I could be looking for tees", before walking off into the bushes.

* cheats also annoy me, but not as much as someone who doesn't enjoy the social aspect of golf.

**sorry if I have told this story before. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2011, 05:33:14 PM »
I've learned to tolerate the architectural opinion of others, as it relates to the merits of hole. So much so, and to the extent, that "they" love a hole that the architects admit, "didn't come out the way we wanted". It doesn't make them wrong. They just view limited options as "not a bad thing" and never really consider how the architectural aspects, or features (green and bunker construction) of a hole, need to be thoughtful enough to allow more than one type of shot to be successful.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2011, 05:46:08 PM »
What about the guy who has read just enough to say "options" and " firms and fast" within the first few minutes of talking to them, and chalks up any disagreement to lack of education of the disagreer?

Mark Pearce

« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2011, 05:47:04 PM »
David,

Where can I buy refurbished tees?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

David_Elvins

« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2011, 06:26:36 PM »
I've learned to tolerate the architectural opinion of others,

I may be on my lonesome here but I love hearing anyone's opinion on architecture.  Everyone has a valid opinion on architecture and any opinion different than mine forces me to re-assess my own opinion. 

Case in point - a recent conversation.

Me:  "I am not really a fan of that blind water hazard."

Partner:  "But it's only blind when the fountain is turned off".

Just brilliant.  I never would have thought of looking at it that way.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2011, 07:16:11 PM »
Every course should be Top 100 quality

I love that one. We can rephrase it a bit simpler, too:

There should only be 100 courses.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Sam Morrow

« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2011, 12:19:12 PM »
My new that guy is a guy who posts pictures of me in a drop area.

David Kelly

« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2011, 04:55:42 PM »
Every course should be Top 100 quality

I love that one. We can rephrase it a bit simpler, too:

There should only be 100 courses.

There should only be Top 100 courses.  And there should be one or two in every town in the United States.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Tim Martin

« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2011, 05:16:48 PM »
My "That Guy" always asks after lagging up to 5 feet "is that good" in a match play money game. I usually respond that in a parallel universe it would be but why don`t you putt it anyway.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2011, 10:00:13 PM »
My "That Guy" always asks after lagging up to 5 feet "is that good" in a match play money game. I usually respond that in a parallel universe it would be but why don`t you putt it anyway.

"Millions for cancer research, not one dime for lockjaw!"  ;D

Steve Salmen

« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2011, 10:38:09 AM »
"That guy" is an American that would never wear knickers at home, yet insists on wearing them on his Scotland golf holiday.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back