News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Viscusi

New Member Intro (Another Philly Guy)
« on: October 20, 2011, 09:28:16 AM »
Hello Everybody,

My name is Mike Viscusi and, like most new members, I have been lurking around the board for a while and finally worked up the nerve to jump in. I am excited to finally join the action and I appreciate the opportunity Ran has given me to be a part of the group.  I look forward to discussing the merits of golf course architecture and getting to know some of you.

I was born and raised in the Philadelphia area and currently reside in the Western Suburbs of Philly.  Since graduating from Penn State University in 2001, I have been involved in the golf industry in several capacities.  For the first few years I worked on the Club side at Jericho National GC (Hurdzan/Fry design), the ACE Club (Player/Henderson) and RiverCrest GC (Ron Coruzzi), mostly in the capacity of managing outside services/Caddiemaster.  I then transitioned to the business side and for the last 6+ years I've worked for a software company called BlueGolf. I'm sure some of you in the golf industry are familiar with BlueGolf as they are the software provider for many PGA sections, Mini Tours, Junior Tours and Golf Associations throughout the US and Canada, providing online registration and tournament management services. I also just recently accepted a side position to do sales work as an authorized distributor for a company called Golf Flagstick Media, which makes a patented advertising flagstick, which I hope to market to Charity Golf Outings for sponsorships and low to mid-end Public Golf Courses to turn what is traditionally an expense into a source of revenue.  I also run a freelance web design company in my spare time, so between work and my family (married with a 19-month old son), I don't have nearly as much time to play golf as I would like, but I suppose that's the case for a lot of us here!

I don't have a tremendous portfolio of courses played but I've made some progress over the past few years on my Philly Bucket List (fwiw, I have played most of the public courses).  My favorite courses I have played in the area are probably Philadelphia CC and Applebrook GC.  At the top of my wish list, aside from the obvious Pine Valley, Merion and Aronimink (although I have walked all three), are Gulph Mills (I've heard great things from several people I trust) and Stonewall's Old Course.  I tend to enjoy the more natural school of design so, like most on this board, I am attracted to designs by Coore/Crenshaw, Doak and Gil Hanse, whose work I am really becoming a huge fan of.  Of the Classical Architects, I gravitate most towards the work of MacKenzie, Flynn, Bell/Thomas and Ross, although I really enjoy studying the unique variety and style of just about everyone.

Again, thank you for allowing me to join the GCA community, I look forward to contributing to the site and getting to know more of you.

- Mike

Joe Bausch

Re: New Member Intro (Another Philly Guy)
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 09:34:39 AM »
Welcome Mike.

Time for the obligatory question to a Philly guy:

Did CBM design Merion?

Should JoePa retire?
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

John Shimony

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 09:42:05 AM »
Mike, I'll answer that one for you.  YES, JoePa should retire.  He should have retired 15 years ago.
John Shimony
Philadelphia, PA

Mike Viscusi

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 09:48:37 AM »
Thanks Joe.

Yep, sad to say but it's time for JoePa to move on.  I'm ready for the Urban Meyer era to begin.

Brian Hilko

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 09:54:48 AM »
Welcome to GCA. I don't know why you would want to play Pine Valley when you have Trump Philadelphia right next door. According to Donald it is the best course in the area.  ;D
Down with the brown

Jim Franklin

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 09:58:03 AM »
Even though you are a Penn State guy AND you did not mention Tillinghast as a classic architect you like, please give me a call if you want to drive an hour and a half south to play Baltimore CC. It is a nice old Tilly. I have a spot next Wednesday if interested.
Mr Hurricane

George Pazin

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 10:17:53 AM »
Welcome, don't be shy.

Never understood why everyone wants to show JoePa the door. What's wrong with the program as it stands? Still pretty damn competitive, as consistently so as anyone save maybe Bama, LSU & OSU (under Tressel). One need only look at Pitt, WVU, Michigan, Notre Dame and many many others to see the grass isn't always greener...
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 10:45:20 AM »
Welcome Mike,

As you have found out, people in the golf business don't play much golf.  We'll try to rectify that for you.

George,

JoePa can't personally recruit. His last personal visit was to Tyrelle Pryor. Luckily, he chose Ohio State. He just lost a verbal committement from a 6'6" 300lb top rated lineman to Wisconsin. Their record this year so far is a mirage. They should have lost to Temple and have not been impressive in their conference wins. The time has come for him to step down.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

George Pazin

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 10:52:41 AM »
Well, I'll just say, be careful what you wish for.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John Shimony

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 11:03:34 AM »
Welcome, Mike.  I must say that this discussion board is populated by some of the nicest people I have ever met.  You'll be glad you joined.  From what part of Philadelphia to you originate?
John Shimony
Philadelphia, PA

Joe Bausch

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 11:14:40 AM »
Welcome, Mike.  I must say that this discussion board is populated by some of the nicest people I have ever met.  

Dear John,

We beg to differ.

Sincerely,
Fellow Philly residents Tom P, Wayne M, and Mike C

----------------
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 11:43:43 AM by Joe Bausch »

JMEvensky

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 11:34:51 AM »

Welcome, Mike.  I must say that this discussion board is populated by some of the nicest people I have ever met.  

Dear John,

We beg to differ.

Sincerely,
Fellow Philly residents Tom P, Wayne S, and Mike C

----------------

;D

Mike Viscusi

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 12:06:24 PM »
Thanks Brian, George, Steve and John!

John, I grew up in Holland and went to Council Rock HS (back when there was just one CR).   Most of my family is in that Holland/Richboro/Newtown area. For a few years after college I lived in an apartment in Devon, right off Lancaster Ave, and for the last 6 years I have lived in Eagleville, which is off Germantown Pike just before Collegeville.  How about yourself?

Howard Riefs

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 12:37:26 PM »
Welcome, Mike.  Look forward to your contributions in the treehouse.

Never understood why everyone wants to show JoePa the door. What's wrong with the program as it stands? Still pretty damn competitive, as consistently so as anyone save maybe Bama, LSU & OSU (under Tressel). One need only look at Pitt, WVU, Michigan, Notre Dame and many many others to see the grass isn't always greener...

There are also "grass isn't always greener" examples for the departure of long-standing coaches.  Case in point, look what's happened to FSU after the boosters finally got their way and pushed Bobby Bowden into retirement. Jimbo Fisher now has a 13-7 record after 1 1/2 seasons, including the current team that's struggling at 3-3.  Fisher is an all-star recruiter and will turn around FSU, but it's not the start they imagined.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Michael Blake

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 12:47:49 PM »
Hi Mike,

I live in Eagleville too.  We're probably very close to each other.
And my wife and I lived in Newtown when we were married at Church of St. Andrew 10 years ago.  Reception was at Northampton.

Check your P.M.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 01:01:22 PM »
As a fellow Philly guy, welcome!  If you want to play a neat Donald Ross course that people don't talk enough about, PM me!

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2011, 04:01:18 PM »
Mike,  Welcome to GCA.  Don't hesitate to PM me if down on the southern NJ shore. 

DRB
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Joe Bausch

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2011, 04:03:36 PM »
As a fellow Philly guy, welcome!  If you want to play a neat Donald Ross course that people don't talk enough about, PM me!

Mark

Mark, what other happy courses do you belong to besides Schuylkill?   ;D

Kyle Harris

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2011, 04:20:11 PM »
Thanks Brian, George, Steve and John!

John, I grew up in Holland and went to Council Rock HS (back when there was just one CR).   Most of my family is in that Holland/Richboro/Newtown area. For a few years after college I lived in an apartment in Devon, right off Lancaster Ave, and for the last 6 years I have lived in Eagleville, which is off Germantown Pike just before Collegeville.  How about yourself?

Darnit.

I thought we could keep the CR arrogance off this board. There that goes.

Kyle Harris
William Tennent Class of 2001.

Mike Viscusi

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2011, 07:56:11 AM »
Darnit.

I thought we could keep the CR arrogance off this board. There that goes.

Kyle Harris
William Tennent Class of 2001.

haha...it's nice to meet you too, Kyle...I've never actually met someone who admitted they went to William Tennent.  For those that are unaware, Tennent is like the Merion West to Council Rock's East Course...

Is that the arrogance you are referring to??? ;)

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2011, 08:13:34 AM »
Mike,

Welcome to GCA! As a fellow Philly guy, I would encourage you to wade in with comments when the spirit moves you. I also recommend attending one of the upcoming Winter Series 'Executive Course" outings that have proved very popular among the Philly Polar Links Society, ably led by the intrepid Joesph Bausch.

Cheers,
Kris
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

PCCraig

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2011, 08:37:05 AM »
Welcome Mike!
H.P.S.

John Shimony

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2011, 08:51:37 AM »
Mike, I am from Northeast Philly.  Not many memorable public courses over here.  The only thing that is good about NE philly (other than a few nice female bartenders sprinkled about) is our proximity to I-95, a good escape route to shore golf.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 08:53:59 AM by John Shimony »
John Shimony
Philadelphia, PA

Mark Johnson

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2011, 10:17:08 AM »
which western burb are you from?  I used to live and play at talamore.

Mike Viscusi

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2011, 10:27:58 AM »
which western burb are you from?  I used to live and play at talamore.
Hi Mark, I live in Eagleville (in between Norristown and Collegeville).  I actually have a limited social membership at Talamore/Applecross that includes 7 rounds of golf (I won it at a golf outing) but I have yet to make it over to Talamore to play.  I haven't heard too many things about the course so I just haven't made the effort to get over there, plus a good friend plays at Applecross so it makes more sense to just go there between the two. 

What are your thoughts on Talamore?

Are you still in the area?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back