News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Richards

Looking for info on George O'Neil
« on: January 07, 2002, 10:54:41 AM »
In researching the history of the Beverly Country Club in
Chicago, I am looking for any additional information anyone
might have in regards to George O'Neil, who was Beverly's
first head professional.

During a previous thread, Tom MacWood posted the
following (garnered from the Architects of Golf):

According to Whitten O'Neil was from Phila, and was a professional at Midlothian, Beverly, Lake Shore and Edgewater. He practiced golf architecture as a sideline, collaborating with Daray, Roseman and Jack Croke. He formed a full-time practice in the 20's but closed down sometime during the Depression. During the 30's, 40's and 50's he was bothered by very poor health and his friend and former pupil A.Lasker helped him with the expenses. He also designed a golf course for Lasker in 1928 called Melody Farms. He died in Miami, Fla. in 1955.  

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Paul Richards

Re: Looking for info on George O'Neil
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2002, 11:02:53 AM »
I have searched long and hard for more information (especially
photographs ;)) of George O'Neil.

Later on in life, O'Neil seems to have been cared for by
Albert Lasker, and that Lasker might have his documents, and
other personal effects and mementos, etc.  I purchased a
book concerning the life of Lasker called "After the flood", but that didn't really get me any info on O'Neil.

From my research, it seems that either O'Neil alone, or in
tandem with Tom Bendelow, designed the original course at
Beverly CC.  Donald Ross came in in the mid-teens and
basically wrote up one of the first "Long-range master plans"
which the club implemented over a series of years.  Ross
changed much of the routing, and we can be assured that
which we are playing today is Ross, but I would really like
to find out more about O'Neil.

In Beverly's history case reside two old clubs with O'Neils
stamp on them.
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Patrick Hitt

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2002, 11:49:38 AM »
Paul,
Have you contacted anyone at Lake Shore ? I might also suggest trying to track down Joe Roseman's daughter. I met her by chance when she was playing at the Pickwick Golf Club AKA Station Links at Glenview NAS as I was cutting cups. That was 6 years ago, but she told us about her dad in detail ( the Roseman tractor factory was on the edge of the base and he was the archie as you know as well as the owner before apropriation) and she may be a good resource for O'Neil as well. I'm not sure what her name was but mabye the guys at
Roseman Tractor Equipment Co.
2620 Crawford Avenue
Evanston IL 60201
(847)-864-1842
could help with that. The retail shop is all that's left of the Roseman golf empire.

Paul Richards

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2002, 04:26:28 AM »
Patrick;

Thanks for the info.  I will follow it up. :)

Paul Richards

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2002, 10:02:19 AM »
Patrick:

I followed up your lead, but it was a dead-end. :'(

The phone number you listed is disconnected, Roseman
Tractor has no listing anywhere in the 847 area code, and
the operator could not provide any information on even
when the phone line was disconnected. :-X

So, thanks for your help. ;)

I will be happy to follow up any and all other leads! :)

Jeff Jurgonski

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2024, 10:10:31 AM »
Hi Paul,

Following up on a 22 year old post. Ha. Anyway, I am also in search of more information on George O'Neil. I believe he designed my home course, Orchard Hills CC, in Buchanan, MI. Did you have any luck in your search?

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2024, 10:51:08 AM »
Hi Paul,

Following up on a 22 year old post. Ha. Anyway, I am also in search of more information on George O'Neil. I believe he designed my home course, Orchard Hills CC, in Buchanan, MI. Did you have any luck in your search?

Jeff:

Orchard Hills (which began as the Niles-Buchanan CC in 1915/16) is credited to Tom Bendelow, although I haven't seen anything that directly confirms his involvement.

In 1925 the club purchased additional land and hired Leonard Macomber to expand the course from 2,100 to around 3,30 yards.  At that time the name was changed to Orchard Hills.

At some point the course was expanded to 18 holes.  I don't have any information on who did the work or when it took place.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Ken Fry

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2024, 11:10:47 PM »
George O'Neil designed South Bend CC in Indiana in 1916.  He also designed the El Campeon Course at Mission Inn Resort in Florida in 1917.
Ken

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2024, 11:29:30 PM »
I can add the two pages from my copy of Architects of Golf where he is referenced:

Here he is only mentioned in passing:

GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back