News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

I don’t know the background of most projects as I do this one but how many developers and architect move to a site? Some? None? Has it ever happened before?

Ben moved his ever growing family to Inverness, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia in the fall 2008. That act signified that he was going to do all he could to return the trust placed in him by the town, by Mike Keiser, and by the Cape Breton Growth Fund. He was all-in and with that as the anchor, good things followed.

Shortly after, Rod Whitman moved into a house there as well. In the worst year of golf course construction in memory, Rod went out on his D6 and rough shaped the entire golf course. At the end of that year, it became evident to Mike that Rod was the talent that his friend Bill Coore had billed him.

Various people including Dave Axland and Kyle Franz lent their talents to the finished product but this Feature Interview is confined to the three primary people that have fulfilled the town’s desire of utilizing the open space between the town and the Gulf of St. Lawrence.

I played eighteen holes there for the first time eight days ago (in sweltering 83F heat no less!). Though still in the very early stages, the interaction between these three principal parties has yielded something special.

The backdrop to the Cape 9th is a working harbor.

Of course, ‘Keiser’ and ‘special’ seem to always go hand in hand. Now a brand name with the financial wherewithal to bring his common sense golf approach to fruition where ever he so chooses, Keiser is certainly one of the very few people to have done well in golf over the past five years, all while helping the sport mind you! According to Ben, other than frequent site visits, one thing that Keiser brings is an unwavering desire to figure out the best answer for a particular property. Some owners get trapped chasing the wrong things but Keiser’s focus remains steadfast on each of the eighteen holes and the general environment surrounding them. He keeps looking at each hole, each shot through the eyes of the ‘retail golfer,’ wondering if the retail golfer will be pleased that he made the trip.

As he has at some of his other courses, Keiser has a way of pulling the best out of an architect. To cite two specific examples, he helped drive a Biarritz type swale through the 235 yard fifth green (well removed from the water, this hole was a potential weak moment – no longer!). Secondly, the creation of the double green at the eleventh and thirteenth has led to two of my favorite approach shots on the course, courtesy of course of Rod’s dirt work.

It is no great secret that my two favorite architects are Doak and Coore & Crenshaw. Yet, one of the great things about Cabot Links is that it somehow doesn’t look like either designed it. While that may sound contradictory, the course looks and plays like an original, something that you haven’t quite seen before and it is hard to explain why. Maybe it is because the bunker style and/or placement (some greenside ones of which are deceivingly short of the putting surface), maybe it is because of how the greens tie into their surrounds (including the first two which happily run away from the player), maybe it is because this abandoned coal mining site hard along the water is so unique. Ultimately, the freshness of Cabot’s design must be accredited to the Great Whit himself.

When you hire Rod Whitman, you get Rod Whitman. And in this case, he got a piece of land where his talents could shine. Yes, he had some natural advantages such as over one mile of water frontage and the fact that the general tilt of the property is toward the water, meaning that views of the sea are afforded from every hole. Still though, it was Rod’s mind that conjured up the upside down L shaped fifteenth green which makes the hole into an all-time personal favorite, for instance. Most importantly, he knitted the interior holes into the coastal fabric in a most appealing manner. As with any course, I always like asking what is the worst hole. At Cabot, there is no clear answer.

As people have commented on for the past couple of years, the course is photogenic. The photo of the aforementioned fifteenth hole that appeared in Golf Digest is particularly appealing in part because of the random humps and bumps throughout the fairway. Man’s hand is involved in those, something that 99.99% of the golfers will never know or care about. Still, it means a great deal to those of us that like links golf and the challenge of flighting a ball through the wind from a stance that requires some sort of minor adjustment. Again, Rod and his crew deserve credit in many ways but those slight fairway contours are one area that they are unlikely to get it – so let’s give it to them now! In fact, for those who know Rod (and unlike most architects), he is 100% INCAPABLE of promoting his own work, so some of us have to help him  8).

Speaking of fairway contours, Cape Breton Highlands is a two hour drive on the other side of the island. I can’t imagine coming to the island and not playing both courses. Driving counterclockwise from Cape Breton Highlands to Cabot along the Cabot Trail yields some of the most spectacular coastal views this side of Portrush.

And speaking of the UK, that’s something that the photos don’t capture: Cabot’s climate. It is much more akin to the UK. With low humidity and cool evening temperatures through the golf season, this all fescue course will be properly fast and firm through the green, guaranteeing that all shot options are open to the player as he contends with the coastal breezes.

Hope you enjoy this month’s Feature Interview as a precursor to Cabot Links’ official eighteen hole opening in June, 2012.

Cheers,

Willie_Dow

Count me in for a trip up there in 2012 !  Sounds like a good example of "Affordable Golf".

Terry Lavin

I'll be there for opening day!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Bill_McBride

Will there be bunkers on the ninth green, or is that it?    What a beautiful hole!

Love to see some sort of GCA.com gathering there late next summer.   

David Scaletti

I first met Ben in Toronto in about 2004, I think, and subsequently I heard about his resolve to build a golf course in Nova Scotia.

At one point we met up in New York City when Ben was searching for investors. As I recall that didn’t result in the desired outcome, but Ben just forged ahead until he found the person who shared his vision. And for that I guess we owe a big thank you to Mike Keiser.

Throughout the time spent bringing this dream to reality I have been amazed at Ben’s tenacity and resolve to “get it done.”

Well done to all three guys in this interview, Ben, Mike and Rod for their part in Cabot Links, but a most hearty congratulations to Ben for persevering with his dream.

Ben, I wish you all the success possible – you deserve it.

Shane Wright

So many rare ingredients to this project which I believe will lead to long term success:

1. Ben moving his family to the site
2. Rod Whitman living at the site
3. Mike Keiser - his background, experience, and financial capabilities
4. A really good climate
5. And maybe what sticks out the most to me - a city and local group pushing to put together the resources to back this which will translate to a lot of cross marketing long term
6. another potential site less than 2 km away
7. and a million other reasons

Now it's just up to us to support it with play.  I cannot wait to get there for the first time....Thanks for sharing this interview Ran.

Garland Bayley

Thanks for the interview Ran.

Reading about Cabot Links and visualizing it sent chills down my back.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

George Pazin

Probably my favorite interview ever. Not much to add, but thanks. Reading it and examining the big pics (!) just made my smile like few things do.

Can't wait to get there.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tiger_Bernhardt

My hat is off to Ben who is living his dream. My 25 year old daughter and I discussed how important options are in life. When you are doing what you love it is not work. It is living good. Ben is living good. It has been a thrill to watch this project from the beginning.

Joel_Stewart

20,000 rounds doesn't seem like a lot but the limited season may make it a challenge?

Good information, thanks.

Josh Smith

Thank you Ran.  You could interview Keiser every other month in 2012 and I would be a happy camper.  What a lucky break for all of us to be around in his golf development era  !!!!!!!!!!!!  Cabot Links is surely going to be AMAZING.

Great to hear Ben's comments on the project ground swell and how his family is living in the town and at the heart of it.

Can't wait to see it.

Joshl

Ian Andrew

20,000 rounds doesn't seem like a lot...

It is when you consider when tourism season begins and ends.
Highlands Links best years are only a bit above that.

The key is the numbers they can do outside of that window.
I'm certainly pulling for them to succeed.

Pete Lavallee

Just how long is the golfing window open; will year round golf be possible?
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Adam Clayman

Pete, I'd imagine the season is considerably longer than most would think, when thinking of Canada. The gulf creates a temperate zone. Two  winters ago their ground never froze. (not sure what the term is I'm looking for there?) As is true here in Western Ne. the best time of year has been the last 3 weeks. Ironically all the privates clubs here are now closed. It's well worth the risk to try and plan a last minute trip to either locale.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Ian Andrew

62 degrees today - a real nice day to play golf today

John Mayhugh

Thanks for the interview.  Whitman's work at Sagebrush makes me even more eager to see Cabot Links.

Ben Cowan-Dewar

Thank you so much for the kind words, I appreciate it. It certainly has been a lot of fun and we owe Rod so very much for all of his hard work and dedication.

If there were any questions the beloved one forgot to ask, please fire away.

JC Urbina

Ben,

How many other sites had you looked at prior to setting up shop at Cabot Links?

How important was the location and its close proximity to Cape Breton Highlands?

George Pazin

Thank you so much for the kind words, I appreciate it. It certainly has been a lot of fun and we owe Rod so very much for all of his hard work and dedication.

If there were any questions the beloved one forgot to ask, please fire away.

What's a typical work day like for you?

What's life like in your area?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Dale Jackson

Ben, Rod, Mike, Jeff etc., congratulations on what by all accounts looks like a great addition to golf in the Maritimes.  My only quibble is that, as someone living on the West Coast, it is far easier and cheaper for me to fly to the UK and play the famous links over there than to get to New Brunswick.  Nevertheless, as a proud Canadian, I will make my way to Cabot Links in the near future.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Robert Thompson

The only disappointing thing about this interview is that Rod appears very straight forward, and not at all like the intriguingly unique character that he is. I wrote a 3,000 word story on him recently for a Canadian golf magazine, talking extensively to Bill Coore, Mike Keiser, Ben Cowan-Dewar and others about Rod. He has considerable talent, but he isn't what I'd call ambitious. He's content to do great work one-at-a-time rather than chase multiple projects. That means the courses he creates are terrific, but they are also few and far between.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Mike Nuzzo

Nice work team Cabot - congratulations.

Robert
Where can we read 3,000 words about Rod?
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Tom MacWood

The only disappointing thing about this interview is that Rod appears very straight forward, and not at all like the intriguingly unique character that he is. I wrote a 3,000 word story on him recently for a Canadian golf magazine, talking extensively to Bill Coore, Mike Keiser, Ben Cowan-Dewar and others about Rod. He has considerable talent, but he isn't what I'd call ambitious. He's content to do great work one-at-a-time rather than chase multiple projects. That means the courses he creates are terrific, but they are also few and far between.

I'm sure your 3000 words were riveting; maybe you should start your own website.

Ben Cowan-Dewar

Jim,
I saw many properties over the four years leading into the Cabot development but I looked at seven sites seriously.

It played a major role as I had long thought of Highlands as my favourite course in Canada.

George,
It has been quite varied this year, with clubhouse and golf course construction as well as operations. Right now, we are focused on lodging construction and wrapping up the golf season.

Life is great! Aside being a beautiful place to grow our family, Cape Breton has proven to be a great place to live and work. We have a beautiful beach in the summer and, of course, all the things that made Cape Breton Travel & Leisure's #1 island in North America (#3 in the world!)

Dale,
Thank goodness we are in Nova Scotia! :) It is a great value for those air miles you have been saving to fly within the country and a lot cheaper when you get here!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back