News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Taylor

Mimosa Hills Golf and CC College Tournament
« on: October 10, 2011, 11:24:15 PM »
GCAer's,
My team and I (Stetson Univeristy) are heading to the Donald Ross Intercollegiate this weekend at Mimosa Hills Golf and CC in Morganton, NC. Do any of you have any experiences or stories about the course? I saw some threads through the search function but any additional input is welcomed. Thanks!

Cory Lewis

Re: Mimosa Hills Golf and CC College Tournament
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 07:27:21 AM »
Hopefully you have a practice round.  There are a few holes on the back that you are going to want your players to see and develop a plan of attack.  Unlike most courses, some of these holes can not simply be overpowered.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Ed Oden

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 09:47:49 AM »
Hopefully you have a practice round.  There are a few holes on the back that you are going to want your players to see and develop a plan of attack.  Unlike most courses, some of these holes can not simply be overpowered.

I agree with Cory, a practice round would be very helpful.  The course is relatively short and good scores will be there for those who position themselves well off the tee.  But you have to know where to put your ball in order to take advantage, particularly on the back nine...which is tree-mendous.  Here is a link to photos if you are interested... http://www.flickr.com/photos/eko_gfl/sets/72157624380940534/  Feel free to send me a PM or email if you want more detail.

Matt Taylor

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 09:56:35 AM »
We do have a practice round on Sunday so that should help. Thanks for the info!

Brett Waters

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 10:24:07 AM »
Hopefully they'll have it in good shape for you guys. We played it in high school every year, and they put us on it after punching the greens, fairways, rough, and tee boxes. It wasn't a whole lot of fun...I always seemed to struggle on this course and don't really know why. It was just one of those that never caught my eye. But a practice round should really help you. Like previously stated, if you get in the wrong side of the fairway, it can be difficult.

From looking at Ed's photos and bringing back memories:

- Do not go past the pin on #5
- The 12th hole is a monster. It's very narrow and you have to play through trees if you get in the wrong spot. I would like to hear other opinions on this hole.

Good luck!

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 10:34:50 AM »
Great course. I remember also at times very narrow bunkers. Very.
12 should be punch 5 iron, punch 5 iron to the bottom of the hill and wedge.
To avoid the overhanging trees at the tees, and surrounding.
It could use a little tree work.
11 is one of my favorite holes.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 12:12:15 PM »
Do not try to hug/cut the corner on the dogleg holes.  They are not that lengthy and the best angle is generally from the middle to outside of the doglegs at 5, 7, 10, 12 and 18.   I agree with comments regarding the akward and treed nature of the 12th.  Lay back from the tee and play the second to the front right corner of the green.  Simple pitch down the length of the green from there for an easy birdie.  Staying below the hole is not as critical there as other Ross course's I've played as the cants aren't great and green speeds were moderate when I visited.  Brett is correct on #5, however. 

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Carl Johnson

Re: Mimosa Hills Golf and CC College Tournament New
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 05:58:02 PM »
Matt, how about a report on the tournament and what you and other players you know thought about the course?  I think many of us would like to have your perspective.  [Note - this is a later addition to my post.  Matt has gotten back to me by a PM, 10/19/2011, and has indicated that he'll try to get something posted after this weekend.  In the meantime, here are the results, taken from the Appalachian State U. website: http://www.goasu.com/pdf8/792248.pdf  Carl]
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 02:17:12 PM by Carl Johnson »

Jamey Bryan

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 09:17:17 PM »
I'll second that......     I'd like to hear a flatbelly's perspective.

Jamey

Matt Wharton

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 10:53:18 AM »
I have played this course several times through the past 5 years...one of my favorites in our region!  Agree with the others you want to use your time wisely in the practice rounds.

1st hole is pretty straight fwd where you can bomb it down the rt center (fwy slopes rt to left with two fwy bunkers on rt side).  2nd hole you need to decide what club to hit from tee (I typically use a hybrid but have played with some who choose driver), regardless very short hole but steeply up hill on the second shot (depth perception and judging distance is challenging).  3rd hole is reachable par 5 for you young guys as long as tee shot finds the fwy.  4th hole plays down the rt of the first and is a little similar (fwy sloping from rt to left).  5th hole is sharp dogleg left.  Aiming point is the large tree rt of the fwy (no real benefit to cutting the corner over the string of pearls) as you want to be rt of center on the approach.  Agree with the earlier statement do NOT get above the hole here!  6th hole is par 3 with small green...center of green each day of event is good.  7th is another reachable par 5 and rt center of the fwy gives you the best angle of attack.  The 8th is a straight away long par 4 that plays uphill and shots short of the green do not typically bounce on due to the upslope.  The 9th is uphill par 3 with a two tiered green.  10 is dogleg left with bunkers left of fwy and fwy slopes to the rt (driving range on rt), driver is not necessary here.  I have always struggled with 11 so I am afraid to comment other than figure out where to place ball off the tee then execute the shot each day (something I have always failed to do).  The 12th is one of the more confounding par 5's you may ever play (short by yardage but heavily treed).  When going for the green aim rt.  13 is good par 3.  14 is par 5 where you want to favor the rt side off the tee.  Second shot is like kicking a long field goal.  15 you must hit the tee shot down the far rt of the fwy edge or even better fade the ball into the rt side of the fwy...anything down the middle or left will be in the left rough under trees on bare dirt (and this time of year in a pile of acorns).  The 16th plays downhill off the tee and uphill into the green.  The 17th is a great short par 3!  The 18th you want to rip it off the tee and I always felt like the approach plays longer than what it looks.

Matthew Wharton, CGCS, MG
Idle Hour CC
Lexington, KY

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back