News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

Fraserburgh? Should I go there?
« on: October 18, 2011, 11:22:12 AM »
 A friend sent me an email with a link to their website. We are going up that way .
AKA Mayday

Melvyn Morrow

Re: Fraserburgh? Should I go there?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 11:40:04 AM »

Yes, in a word  heck it out http://www.fraserburghgolfclub.org/

Melvyn

Ken Moum

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 12:27:25 PM »
A friend sent me an email with a link to their website. We are going up that way .

It apparently a common belief among the locals that Fraserburgh is better than Cruden Bay.

But that's because they think CB has too many goofy holes.

Around here, the common opinion is that CB is delightfully quirky.

I stayed very close to Fraseburgh and wish I'd known more about it in advance, because I do think CB has some holes that cross the line into too quirky. 

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 12:34:18 PM »

Mayday

Fraserburgh is defintely on my hit list if I make it back up Cruden Bay/Aberdeen.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 01:12:52 PM »
Is Fraserburgh better than Peterhead?

www.peterheadgolfclub.co.uk
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 01:14:27 PM by David_Tepper »

Niall C

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 01:25:49 PM »
Mike

I had to cancel a game there last year. Would you believe that was due to the weather. Just shows that even links courses can be effected. Terry Thornton, one of our Aussie gca'ers was over this summer and I think Fraserburgh was the first course he played, and he only played it on spec. From what I recall he thoroughly enjoyed it but perhaps if he's lurking he can confirm.

If you're anywhere near Lossiemouth, give me a shout and I'll happily host at Old Moray.

Niall 

Brad Tufts

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 01:32:47 PM »
I was left with the Peterhead v. Fraserburgh choice last year during my Scotland trip...we ended up choosing Peterhead due to a tournament being at FB.

Peterhead was pretty cool.  It is a mix of flattish holes more inland, and dunes holes at the far end and along the shore.  I found it exhilarating.  If Scotland's "second tier" is full of courses like this...I should move there.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 01:47:31 PM »
"If Scotland's "second tier" is full of courses like this...I should move there."

Brad -

It is and you probably should. ;)

DT

Dan Grossman

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 02:40:46 PM »
I've played Fraserburgh, as well as Peterhead, Cruden Bay, Royal Aberdeen and Murcar.  It is definitely better than Peterhead, although I would not pass up a round at CB, RA or Murcar to play there.  In fact, I would play 36 at all three of those courses before I played Fraserburgh.  That said, it is a very neat course.  The first hole and eighteenth hole are terrible, but they are just filler to get you to the good part of the course.  See below for two pics that I have handy, both par 3s. 

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 02:55:53 PM »
Wow Dan,

looks like you played in a dry summer. :D I doubt they got anywhere near that shade of brown this year.

Jon

Dan Grossman

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 05:48:48 PM »
The pictures were taken in August 2003 and it was VERY dry out there.  I'm all for firm and fast, but it was a bit like playing plinko.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 08:57:20 PM »
I can't believe I have never heard of Fraserburgh.  It sure looks like it is worth the trip.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Philippe Binette

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 10:01:43 PM »
holes 10 and 13 are classics...

nice places, definitely worth playing

Cristian

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 09:30:58 AM »
terrific back nine (-/- 18).

I imagine this course is probably typical for the golfing culture in Scotland; 90% of scots perhaps play golf on courses like this; no-nonsense, affordable, great holes mixed with some quirk.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 09:58:04 AM »

Cristian

No we just play golf and make the best out of what we have - and yes we do enjoy ourselves too.

Honest men playing an honest game for simple good old fashion honest fun - you just can't beat it. ;D

Melvyn

David Kelly

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 12:25:58 PM »
Definitely play Fraserburgh.  As Dan said the 1st and 18th holes are nothing at all but when you get on the other side of the hill the course is terrific albeit with a high quirk content.

Its also the only course I've played where you pay the bartender to play the course.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Jim McCann

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 05:23:46 PM »
Mike

You should definitely play the Corbie course at Fraserburgh.

Here's a link to half a dozen reviews that might endorse that opinion:

http://www.top100golfcourses.co.uk/htmlsite/productdetails.asp?id=499

Phil McDade

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2011, 01:43:13 AM »

Absolutely; a highlight of my trip there 12 years ago. Usually fast and firm, and some solid, somewhat understand links golf throughout both nines. Overall better than Peterhead, although Phead may have one or two holes that exceed anything at Fraserburgh. But once past #1, Corbie Hill is very good.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back