News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Malcolm Mckinnon

Best Names for Weird Pars
« on: October 14, 2011, 10:11:55 PM »
What are your favorite names for a Par made under unlikely circumstances?

I'll start...

Here in the New York Met area if you mishit your drive onto another hole and still manage to make par we call that a "McGreevey" in honor of the former NJ Governor, Jim.

For you on-NYC area folks Jim McGreevey resigned as governor of New Jersey after disclosing that he was gay.

Bada Boom

John Kirk

Re: Best Names for Weird Pars
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 02:44:13 AM »
This deserves a response, somehow.

Barkies are kinda funny.  Perhaps a new thread should be started on barkie pars.  "What Is Your Best Barkie Par, And Can You Actually Remember One?"

Sandies are not funny at all.

I have no good names, but i tried.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 03:22:00 AM »

Seve - from the wrong fairway. Or a parking lot.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 05:59:14 AM »
Drive it into the woods, then hit the second into the woods and still make par - Tarzan.
He went from tree to tree as well.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 12:27:11 PM »
The somehwat rare AquaMan...

Hit it into a water hazard and still save par.  I've done this only once on a shortish par 4.

Alex Miller

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 12:45:51 PM »
The O.B. Keeler.

I did this once on a par 5 where I hit my second OB and my 4th to 3 feet.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 12:49:09 PM »
Par after playing from a fairway and greenside bunker:  An Eva Braun.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Alex Lagowitz

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 03:00:01 PM »
An Oscar Bravo Par...hit it OB and still make par...did that once on a par 4

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 10:39:20 PM »
The "Seve" that I know is a par made without ever making any contact with the fairway.

Malcolm

Tim Martin

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 03:42:14 PM »
I always liked the terms Blue Collar par and Working Man`s par.  Both mean pretty much the same thing in that you hung in there and didn`t give up.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 03:47:28 PM »
Pars from Mars. Birdies from Uranus.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 07:01:04 PM »
Pars from Mars. Birdies from Uranus.

A frequent occurance at some of the "common land" courses in the UK.
Making par after driving into dung is a shi##y
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 10:43:56 PM »
A buddy made par on Saturday on our toughest hole which is a long up hill par 5 with a difficult green and green site not to mention the side hill lies your approach has to be hit from. He managed it by getting a considerable assist by bouncing it down the cart path at least 50 yards beyond what he might usually hit a good drive, comically dancing and directing the drive along its way. After he holed out for his 5, I simply called it a ladies-aid par.

He got a long cart path bounce on his drive 3 holes later which should have left him with a wedge in to the par 4. Unfortunately, he ended up dead stymied behind a tree that would not otherwise have been in play. Therefore, he did not accomplish the second ladies aid par of the round that I had predicted after he hit his tee shot.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Scott Stearns

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 10:15:36 PM »
i live in new york and have for 22 years. have never heard mc greevys name on a golf course and hope i never do.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back