News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Hilko

New member introduction and oppurtunity to play
« on: October 02, 2011, 05:08:56 PM »
Hello, my name is Brian Hilko. I have been lurking on the website for a long time. I am a 28 year old golf pro who works at Hinsdale Golf Club just outside of Chicago. Just like most of you I enjoy great golf courses. I am not in love with Chicago golf but there are still some great tracks. I try to get over to Michigan as much as I can. My favorite architects of the past are MacKenzie, Langford, Ross, McDonald, and Raynor. Some of my favorite courses in the Midwest are Lawsonia, Crystal Downs, Floosmoor, Beverly, Skokie, Shoreacres, and Chicago Golf. The current architects I love are Doak, C & C, Dye, Devries, Kidd, and Hanse. Some of my favorites from theses guys are Greywalls, Kingsley, Lost Dunes, and the courses at Bandon. I love everything about golf and look forward to participating more on this site.

I also would like to give some GCA members the chance to play Hinsdale. I would like to get 2 groups together for Monday, Oct. 17th. The time would be 1 p.m. The course would be closed so we would have it to ourselves. No carts will be available but I do not think that will be a problem with this group. Just send me a message if you wish to play. If the day is washed out or too cold we can push it back a week. I will be gone for a week in Bandon and Monterey so I might not respond right away.

I love this site. I also look forward to talking and meeting some of you.

Brian
Down with the brown

Melvyn Morrow

Re: New member introduction and oppurtunity to play
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 05:31:29 PM »

Hi Brian

Welcome, lurking is great but its not like the real thing  ;)

Melvyn

Anthony Gray

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 09:26:21 AM »

Welcome Brain. Have you played outside the US?

Anthony

Brian Hilko

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 10:15:12 AM »
No unfortunately. I will be going to dublin next fall to visit my cousin. I will defiantly be playing some golf. I have been craving links golf since my first visit to bandon. One of my favorite moments was sitting sixty yards from the green on the ocean hole at Old mac. The shot was downwind and instead of pulling out the wedge I slapped putter up the hill and made birdie. From that moment I was hooked. I can not wait to make my first trip across the pond.
Down with the brown

Howard Riefs

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 12:08:24 PM »
Brian,

Thanks for the introduction and welcome.  I'm not too familiar with Hinsdale GC.  How does the course compare with others in the area such as Butterfield?

How is membership holding up in the economy and the opening of nearby Chicago Highlands?  I know that they attracted some members from Butterfield.

Also, if you're available on Oct. 23rd, a few of us are getting together and you're more than welcome to join us.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49789.0.html
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 02:29:56 PM »
Hi Brian,

I am good friends with your clubhouse manager, Jim Kravcik.  Do me a favor
and give him my best!  Welcome to the gang!

Brian Hilko

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 01:21:37 AM »
Howard- The western suburbs has a wide variety of clubs. I feel Butterfield is one of the strongest golf courses in the area. My rankings on golf in my part of Chicago goes like this. 1.Chicago Golf(nothing is even close) 2. Butler 3. Chicago Highlands 4. Butterfield 5. Edgewood Valley 6. Hinsdale 7. Oak Park 8. Naperville 9. Ruth Lake 10. River Forest 11. Riverside 12. Lagrange  

To be honest you could flip flop Oak Park and Hinsdale depending on your preference. Hinsdale has a better piece of land and oak park has a better set of greens. Hinsdale is a great club. I did not love the restoration because it was not really a restoration. Little was restored from the original course. I do like the removal of trees and the squaring of the fronts of the greens. It really adds a distinct feel to the course. Doak rated the course a 4 and I think is was pretty much on target. I would rate it a five now but defiantly no more than that. Hinsdale would of benefitted from moving bunkers more into the line of play similar to a Milwaukee cc. The course still has too many bunkers that only penalize a bad golfer. The course is also pretty easy if you keep it in play. The big plus for Hinsdale is the land. It really is a beautiful piece of property compared to most Chicago Clubs which are flat. The routing is basic with the front nine inside and the back on the outside. It works well though.

We usually only lose members to death or being transferred to a different state. The club is non-equity and priced reasonably. We still have a large wait list. Hinsdale is more of a social club. Most of are hardcore golfers have a second membership. We probably see the least amount of guest play in the area because most our members enjoy playing with each other. Butterfield and Chicago Highlands a are priced much higher so we don't look at them as competition.  Overall I like Hinsdale because the club is not flashy. My membership is really good to me and the club is pretty drama free compared to some of the past places I have worked. I love how our members do not mind carrying there bag from the parking lot. I love how we use pull carts despite being a private club. It is nice to have such a low key place to work at. I also love that we hate outings!! Monday is my golf day!!!!!!

I will try to make it for the event but it will be tough with my schedule on a Saturday. I will let you know if I can.

Roger-  That is great to hear! Jim is a really good guy. I can't get him to go out on the golf course though. I will tell him you said hello.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 08:07:06 PM by BHILK »
Down with the brown

Howard Riefs

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 06:57:08 PM »
Brian -

Thanks for the background on Hinsdale and an overview of the golf clubs in the western suburbs. Very insightful.  Also interesting to learn of the large number of Hinsdale members that also hold membership at Chicago Golf.

What's your perspective on Chicago Highlands?  Is it as polarizing as some say it is? (FYI, there's not a lot of love here for Art Hills courses.)

Thanks. 
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Brian Hilko

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 09:56:44 PM »
I know Hills is a hot topic. I do not hate Hills. I just feel he tends to have courses with 15 or 16 decent holes and then your like what the hell is this hole. I worked on a course he redid and I have played 2 others he did work to. I enjoyed all 3. Miami Beach is a decent track that wasn't much to talk about before Hills brought in. I still wouldn't rate it above a doak 4. Naperville and Ruth Lake were well done. Naperville was impressive because he had to completely reroute the back 9. I really like Naperville now. As far as Highlands goes it is still a work in progress as a club but the golf course is special. I had more debates on this course than any other in Chicago. It seems that you either love or hate this course. Every time I play it I become more of a fan. Here is my list of pros and cons fro Highlands.

Pros-
Every time I play this course the wind is blowing and the course has played firm. Big plus and unique to Chicago for the most part.

I really like the routing. The walk isn't to tough and the 9th doesn't come back to the clubhouse but you are close by after the tenth if you can't play 18.

Hills took some risks but most of them paid off. I love some of the connecting fairways. I did like the bowl setting for the green at 2. Number 7 green and the 30 yards in front of the green are just plain fun. Great short par 5 if your going for it in two. I have a con though if you play it as a 3 shotter which I will mention later. Number 9 is a hole you will never forget whether you hate it or love it. I compare it to bandon trails number 14. I do think the green needs a little softening though. 10 is great long par 4 down hill that has a great green site. 12 is another good risk reward par 5. 13 is an unusual par 3 that is semi blind with mounds blocking the green. I like that you can see part of the green and they use the long flagstick. I felt the hole works. 14 is just a fun birdie hole that was needed on the back. Plus you can use the slope of the green to work it into the pin. 17 is a beautiful short par 3 with a tough green.

I heard someone say this in an earlier post about Highlands. The greens might be the most pure set of greens I have putted on.They roll better than any I have putted. My buddy said they were a 14 for the club championship. They were tough enough at about 11. I can't even imagine.

This is one of favorite member courses because I have had fun from every set of tees I have played. 7500 hundred was a bit much but not awful. Most courses I hate moving up tees but here I enjoyed the course from the 3 different sets I have played. Also having 3 practice holes is amazing. I haven't played them but that is a really nice touch. I would really enjoy being a member at Chicago Highlands.

Jeff, the head pro, is a class act. The course is in good hands with him in charge.

Cons-
I know some say the location by the highway but I didn't mind it.

Some holes have to be tweaked a little. I did not like the hidden bunker in the fairway on umber 8. The hole is a solid golf hole with out it. If your going to have a risk reward bunker it makes it more fun to see it. Number 7 is a great hole but the lay up feels awkward. You have to hit the shot way left if you want to lay up. I think they would benefit from having more fairway area to the right. I still love this hole though. The green site is crazy fun. I love how hills used mounds in the landing area if your going for the green in two. On the back 9 i feel the course loses it's links feel. i didn't really care for all the water on the back. Also the holes have square tee boxes. The course just seems to get stuck in between a links and parkland. Number 15 is a 4.5 par. The holes plays over 500 from the 2 back tees as a par 4. The fairway in my opinion could be much bigger. Also the double green concept just doesn't work. The left green never gets used and the right green is just so hard to hit from 225 plus. I like 4.5 pars but this hole was just a tad too hard in my opinion. I say keep the length, widen the hole, and make a larger green that is more accessible. Than the hole will be a bit better.

Sorry to ramble on for so long but Highlands has been the talk of town around here. Good or bad. I really hope everything comes together over there because the course is special. It may not be a top 100 but it is defiantly worth checking out if you have the chance. I love it more and more each time I play it. I think it will go down as Hills best course when all is said and done.

Down with the brown

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 09:27:33 AM »
My membership is really good to me and the club is pretty drama free compared to some of the past places I have worked.   

Perfect description of what makes certain clubs special places to work.  Working for a "drama free" membership is a wonderful thing.

Mark Johnson

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 12:14:46 PM »
Howard- The western suburbs has a wide variety of clubs. I feel Butterfield is one of the strongest golf courses in the area. My rankings on golf in my part of Chicago goes like this. 1.Chicago Golf(nothing is even close) 2. Butler 3. Chicago Highlands 4. Butterfield 5. Edgewood Valley 6. Hinsdale 7. Oak Park 8. Naperville 9. Ruth Lake 10. River Forest 11. Riverside 12. Lagrange  

I noticed a couple major omission there ---   Black Sheep and St. Charles.   Is this because you think those 12 are better or just because they are both too far west.   I generally agree with the ranks you have there, though i think edgewood and ruth lake may be a bit high.   In all honesty, I think Hinsdale can hold its own with Butterfield.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 06:33:06 PM »
Here is my list of pros and cons fro Highlands.

Thanks for the thoughtful assessment and analysis of Chicago Highlands.  I look forward to playing it sometime.

Jonathan Decker

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 12:54:13 AM »
Like Howard, I appreciate the insights on the western clubs.  Very useful information for while traveling through town. 

I have a similar background in that I am an assistant golf professional working in Wisconsin.  Headed south in a few weeks to work at Naples National so I could be possibly looking for a game along the way.

Played Lawsonia last week for the first time, very much drinking the Kool-Aid and wanting to go back again.

Looking to do some networking with other golf professionals, so if you are at all interested send me a message or reply.

JD

Brian Hilko

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 10:03:22 PM »
Mark- I did not include Black Sheep because I haven't had the pleasure of playing there. Black Sheep is right at the top of my list of places I have to try to get out to next year. I love Esler's work. Speaking of Esler the 6 holes at St. Charles are unreal. Just way to much fun. Talk about hidden gem. I don't even think the members know they have those 6 holes!! Just kidding. I really enjoyed my day at St. Charles. I just didn't include it because it is so far west. I will post a photo report on the 6 hole course so everyone can see how much fun those holes are.

Jonathan-

I drink Lawsonia Kool-Aid by the gallons. I know this is a bold statement but if you said I could play 10 rounds in Wisc. it would go 3 at Lawsonia, 3 at Milwaukee, 2 at Straits, 1 at River and 1 at Blue Mound. I had the benefit of playing 54 holes at the Links on a windy day and fast and firm conditions. One of the most special golf days I have ever had. 
Down with the brown

Mark Johnson

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 11:25:22 PM »
Mark- I did not include Black Sheep because I haven't had the pleasure of playing there. Black Sheep is right at the top of my list of places I have to try to get out to next year. I love Esler's work. Speaking of Esler the 6 holes at St. Charles are unreal. Just way to much fun. Talk about hidden gem. I don't even think the members know they have those 6 holes!! Just kidding. I really enjoyed my day at St. Charles. I just didn't include it because it is so far west. I will post a photo report on the 6 hole course so everyone can see how much fun those holes are.

Jonathan-

I drink Lawsonia Kool-Aid by the gallons. I know this is a bold statement but if you said I could play 10 rounds in Wisc. it would go 3 at Lawsonia, 3 at Milwaukee, 2 at Straits, 1 at River and 1 at Blue Mound. I had the benefit of playing 54 holes at the Links on a windy day and fast and firm conditions. One of the most special golf days I have ever had. 

You'll love black sheep.  The primary 18 is definitely top 3 in Chicago.  It would be a top 100 course if ownership actively pursued it.   Where would u rank st Charles against the 13 on your list. 

Howard Riefs

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2011, 12:26:07 AM »

Not feeling it for Erin Hills?

Brian Hilko

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2011, 08:35:42 AM »
I just didn't like anything about the course. Erin Hills will be a great place to watch a tournament and is a great place to stay. The staff was really fantastic to us there. The golf course just didn't do it for me.
Down with the brown

Mark Johnson

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2011, 09:10:53 AM »

Not feeling it for Erin Hills?

Or the Irish course for that matter either.

Brian Hilko

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2011, 12:08:26 PM »
I have not played the Irish unfortunatly. The last few times I have been to Kohler we have only played one course due to time constraints. Usaully we stop by Kohler for a round if we are going to Lawsonia or Greywalls. I would love to play the Irish but how can you pass up straits if you only have one round to work with. Next year I am going to try to get up to Big Fish and I might try to knock out all 36 at Whistling. So many courses to play!! Thank God I am only 28.
Down with the brown

David Hendler

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2011, 01:03:42 PM »
I was up at Kohler last weekend and played the River once and the Straits twice (once from the whites, once from the blacks).  It was a different course from each tee set.  The River was amazing, the greens were in top form, hard and true.  The Straits was an unforgettable experience.  The course was in great shape, a great walk out there.  The only downside was the pace of play.  I can post some pictures if anyone wants to see them.

Mark Johnson

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »
The thing i love about the Irish course is that it is a challenging course but is playable for a mid-single digit as well as a 20.

If we are being honest, I think we'd agree that any double digit handicap probably has no business playing the straits course (especially if the wind is blowing).    The irish course, I think can be a more enjoyable experience.

While it doesn't have a signature hole, there are several very creative one which have multiple lines of play.  The devils elbow hole (either 4 or 5 on the front) is a great example of this.

Dan Moore

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2011, 08:46:09 AM »
Brian,

Who did the renovation work at Hinsdale? 

Does the club have documentation of who designed the course when it moved to the current site? 

Thanks. 
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Howard Riefs

Tough courses & the double digit hcp player
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2011, 12:04:47 PM »

If we are being honest, I think we'd agree that any double digit handicap probably has no business playing the straits course (especially if the wind is blowing).    The irish course, I think can be a more enjoyable experience.

Mark -

What's your threshhold for the tough courses where the "double digit handicap probably has no business playing"? Should they/we*  stay clear of some/most/all courses on this Golf Digest list of the 50 Toughest Courses? http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/golf-courses/2007-03/americastoughest_0703

Sure, the Irish would potentially be a more enjoyable experience for scoring and for accompanying playing partners who hold a single digit handicap.  But isn't the lesson to play the appropriate tees?  The double digit handicap likely isn't teeing it up at Straits from beyond the green tees. http://www.americanclubresort.com/golf/ws/straits_scorecard.html.  

At least I didn't.

* 13 handicap index
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 12:06:36 PM by Howard Riefs »

Brian Hilko

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2011, 09:34:48 PM »
I do have to see the Irish Course. I will defiantly make a point of it next summer. I do not agree that the straits is unplayable. I found if played from the right tees the course is very playable. There is a great mix of long and short holes so you don't feel like you get your butt kicked on every hole. If the wind is up it is pretty tough but then the player should know better and move up a set of tees. I was pretty surprised how playable  the straits was. If you do miss you will be punished but that is part of the experience. I didn't feel it was over the top though.

As far as the designer of HGC. The course was laid out by Jock Adams, the original grounds keeper. Robert Fouilis would later had the bunkers and modify the course. There is some evidence that Langford and Ross stopped by to look at Hinsdale but probably never did much work. The course is officially a Fouilis.
Down with the brown

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back