News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jordan Wall

11 at Shinnecock
« on: October 13, 2011, 09:09:49 PM »
Is there a better short par-3, with regards to design and test of skill, in the world?

I cannot think of one that I have seen or played.  The false front, coupled with the fall off in back, demans precision distance control; not easy given the uphill nature of the shot and the wind which seems to be often present on Long Island.

The bunkering on either side of the green demands accuracy.  A slightly pulled or pushed shot is dead.  Not to mention, the bunkers are deep and even hitting the green from them is no given.

I've never played a better, more difficult short par-3 in terms of design.  Not only is it extremely demanding, but it flows with the golf course.  Shinnecock offers a string of amazing golf holes that demand precise shots to avoid a big number; at under 160 yards, even the eleventh fits the trend.

Is there another par-3 in the world that provides such a test of golf?

John Shimp

Re: 11 at Shinnecock
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 09:21:19 PM »
10, 11,12 are tough and really different.  11 is a great hole.  Can't swing hard there as its so big to hit it straight.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 09:35:24 PM »
10 was brutal.  I hit my best approach shot of the day there, a 3-iron from 200 yards into the wind.  It landed left and bounced onto the green, close to the pin, then subsequently rolled 50 yards down the hill.  I walked away happy to make a 5, disappointed that such a great shot ended up so poorly but at the same time with a new respect for the difficulty of Shinnecock.  Of course, then came 11.

Alex Lagowitz

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 09:36:37 PM »
The 11th at TOC is just the test and then some...
Miss short and find yourself faced with a false front.
Miss long and your dead.
Miss long and left and your in a DEEP ditch
Miss left and its a tough up and down (just ask Bobby Jones)
Miss short and right and your in one of the toughest bunkers on the course
Hit it on the green, and you still have your work set out to make a 2 putt, especially if the pin is on a different tier than your ball
Take in the factor of Scottish wind and you have yourself a golfing hole

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 02:01:31 AM »
The 12th at Woodhall Spa.
Cave Nil Vino

Jim Nugent

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 02:58:36 AM »
If you are looking for short but difficult, hard to top 17 at TPC Sawgrass.  Especially for mid to high handicappers.  It even gives the pros fits. 

Donnie Beck

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 06:39:27 AM »
I wouldn't call Sawgrass difficult. Penal Yes! It is a pretty boring do or die hole. #11 at Shinnecock you can hit 2 or 3 well struck balls and still not be on the green surface. It is by far the shortest par 5 in the world.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 07:09:32 AM »

One of the truly great par 3's.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 07:47:13 AM »
Jordan

I would exactly say it's a short P3 ? more of a mid length one perhaps at 185yds ?

That said - I think its a great hole and one of the better uphill P3's going round. I thought I had hit a pretty good shot into it - landed in the middle of the green but just rolled through and fell off the back.

My playing partner commented that he saw Greg Norman "miraculously" get up'n'down from a similar area. He was spot on - it's a damn tough shot from back there :)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 04:18:05 PM by Kevin Pallier »

JESII

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 08:07:40 AM »
Kevin,

Unless they've added 30 yards in the last few years the hole is well below 185...but does 155 make a short par 3 nowadays? Good question for conversation...I'd put the hole on the dividing line between short and medium length par 3.

One of the coolest holes in the world without question.

Eric Franzen

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 08:47:02 AM »
154 yds from the US Open tips, 150 from red and 145 from the green members tee - according to the yardage book that I picked up during a round a couple of weeks ago. Simply an amazing par 3.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 10:16:39 AM »
Arguably today's green speeds do not fit well with this brilliant hole. 

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Dave Falkner

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 11:27:03 AM »

The 17th at St Georges NY  120 brutal yards

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 04:16:47 PM »
Kevin,

Unless they've added 30 yards in the last few years the hole is well below 185...but does 155 make a short par 3 nowadays? Good question for conversation...I'd put the hole on the dividing line between short and medium length par 3.

One of the coolest holes in the world without question.

Jim

My apologies - I mixed up the 7th and 11th yaradges.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 10:50:54 PM »
It is a great hole. 7 at MPCC shore gives me the same feelings on the tee. Although 11 at Shinny is a better hole.

John Kirk

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2011, 02:40:25 AM »
The one time I was fortunate enough to play the course, wife Cheryl parred 11 from about 125 by getting up and down from just off the green.  Priceless.  I don't remember what I made, par or bogey.  It doesn't matter what hole; Shinnecock was a peak experience.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2011, 07:05:36 PM »
Just played it today with a 2 club left-to-right cross wind, truly one of the best short par 3's I have ever played. All four balls ended up in the right bunker, including a pro, a 1 hdcp, 3 hdcp and 9 hdcp :) That cross wind dis not care who was hitting! However, the pro got up and down from plugged lie, as did the 1 from good lie. I made "birdie" with safe four, but one more roll of the ball after a good sand shot, and I would have been down the hill long and left.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2011, 07:30:01 PM »

Jordan,

I think one of the assets of the hole is that it doesn't overpower you, it doesn't require a very long shot.

At 155, it's within almost every golfer's ability to reach the green without pressing.

But, accuracy is at a premium and the consequences for missing the green can be dire.

With the tee lower than the green, the golfer immediately feels disadvantaged.

Wind can also be a huge factor complicating the golfer's decisions on the tee, even if the wind is helping.
Going long is the worst possble outcome for most golfers.

The convex shape of the green, falling off in front, makes the hole more difficult.

The severity of the greenside bunkers adds to the consequences should the golfer fail to hit the putting surfaces.

I've often wondered, on this hole, if a golfer misses the green, is he better off in the bunker or outside of the bunkers.

I usually prefer to be in the bunker, but, I'm not sure that's always the prefered choice on this hole.

In the modern era, when most courses are lengthening their par 3's, # 11 remains true to its roots and shot values, yet retains its challenge against the modern day golfer and his equipment.

It has to be one of the better par 3 holes in golf.

Doubtful that anyone can master it consistantly.

John Shimp

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2011, 07:36:51 PM »
Do those who have played bothnthink 11 at Toc to be as difficult as 11 at sh as alex asserted?  I do not. 11 at sh requires more precision in my view,  the target is smaller, and the uphill nature seems to mae a straight strike harder.  Sh and 11 always seem to h ave some real windwhen ive played.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2011, 08:27:21 PM »
Does 11 at Plainfield belong in this discussion?

Bill Brightly

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2011, 08:57:21 PM »

I don't think so Mark. Plainfield 11 is certainly a devilish little hole, but I think it is much more about the steep front slope rather than the green complex as a whole. And it is shorter than SH #11, so I feel it is far easier to hit Plainfield's green with a 9 iron than the 6 or 7 you need at SH. Plus, given its location, the wind is much more of a factor at SH compared to the parkland setting of Plainfield.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2011, 08:59:24 PM »
Thanks for the explanation, Bill.  Having played Plainfield for the first time today it was the first thing that came to mind.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2011, 11:46:57 PM »
Do those who have played bothnthink 11 at Toc to be as difficult as 11 at sh as alex asserted?  I do not. 11 at sh requires more precision in my view,  the target is smaller, and the uphill nature seems to mae a straight strike harder.  Sh and 11 always seem to h ave some real windwhen ive played.

John,

I think # 11 at SHCC is more difficult.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2011, 11:47:48 PM »

I don't think so Mark. Plainfield 11 is certainly a devilish little hole, but I think it is much more about the steep front slope rather than the green complex as a whole. And it is shorter than SH #11, so I feel it is far easier to hit Plainfield's green with a 9 iron than the 6 or 7 you need at SH. Plus, given its location, the wind is much more of a factor at SH compared to the parkland setting of Plainfield.

Agreed

jonathan_becker

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2011, 03:42:46 PM »
Jordan,

I made a nice little BIRDIE here this past thursday in a 30 mph cross wind from the left.  Easy hole  ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back