News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andy Shulman

Re: Boat of Garten: Scotland away from the Seashore.
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2014, 11:00:49 PM »
The Boat is definitely worth a visit while en route to the Highlands, which is how me and a friend did it last year.  We went straight from Glasgow Airport to the course - about three hours driving - had lunch and headed to the first tee.  It's definitely a ball striker's track, as it's not friendly to the spray hitter (as we Americans say) and doesn't offer the bomber much, if any, advantage.  The closing hole with its elevated green is especially tough.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2014, 05:08:48 AM »
Lovely simple little uphill 300 yarder, #5. Demanding tee shot to a landing area with view of nicely perched horizon green.

Very tidy.

F.

Martin

The 5th green only dates from 2001. The original green was at the bottom of the hill leading up to the new green and was a miniscule 150m2 affair. I can see that a 'committee' bunker has been added short right. We had one set into the bank at the front right of the green, but that's gone now.

I remember walking out to this green in September 2001 to berate the contractor about the amount of meadow grass in the new turf we'd bought at considerable expense. On getting back to the clubhouse we were a bit perturbed to open the door to the bar to see about 30 people staring at us most seriously. We thought we were in for a kicking. Then we noticed they were watching the TV on the wall behind us. It was September 11. Put our concerns about a few weeds into context.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; JCB, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco

Thomas Dai

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2014, 05:28:05 AM »
Looks terrific. More photos please.
atb

Greg Taylor

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2014, 07:53:42 AM »
I've always had this on my list but never got around to it - pls keep the pics coming.

And full marks to "the Boat" for having the word "Boat" in it's name!

Carl Johnson

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2014, 11:54:02 AM »
I've always had this on my list but never got around to it - pls keep the pics coming.

And full marks to "the Boat" for having the word "Boat" in it's name!

From Wikipedia: "The settlement name derives from the nearby old ferry over the River Spey.  However, its early history does not refer to the "boat" or ferry as Pont's map of 1600 and Roy's map of 1750 named the location simply "Garten".  It is also known as"Osprey village" due to its significant population of Ospreys."

Is this accurate, or reasonably so?

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2014, 01:53:42 PM »
Okay,
Just so I can't be prosecuted under the Trades Descriptions Act, here's one hole which could really do with some attention from the men with the Stihls...

Back to good stuff next!

F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Ken Moum

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2014, 03:10:47 PM »
Soon to play Frazerburg, Petterhead and Fortrose & Rosmarkie Golf Club

Would you drop one of those for Boat of Garten?

I haven't played Peterhead, but of the other two, F & M would definitely fall behind Boat on my list of Scottish courses.  WAAY behind.

I think I'd put Fraserburgh ahead of Boat, partly because their pit hole has the green in the correct place, unlike the more famous neighbor down the coast.  The one downside of Fraserburgh is that they can't control the rabbits.  Despite having some guys who hunt them relentlessly at night, they still come pouring out of the big dunes.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2014, 04:49:01 PM »
Carl,
Check the RSPB site:
http://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/guide/l/lochgarten/

Crikey, this place is becoming a right proper wiki of useless info!

Cheers,
F.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2014, 05:05:19 PM »
The closing five holes are amongst the best on the course. The 14th is another tricky uphiller:

Followed by the 15th, another rollercoaster over a really deep gully:

For some reason, I missed a photo of the cheeky little par 3 16th. Nice little hole over some really mad terrain. I guess I'll just have to go back!

17th. Lovely driving hole to maybe the best green site on the course.

And the home hole. Slopey, rumpled fairway to remind you of all the fun you've just had. Marvelous!

Drag yourself away from the coast for a day or two and discover the 'other' Scotland!

Cheers,
F.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2014, 05:32:27 PM »
Martin,

Top photos. Many thanks for sharing. It's now on my list.

atb

Carl Johnson

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2014, 10:22:19 AM »
Carl,
Check the RSPB site:
http://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/guide/l/lochgarten/

Crikey, this place is becoming a right proper wiki of useless info!

Cheers,
F.

Thanks, I see the bird site.  However, of greater interest is the reason for the "Boat" in the "Garten" name - a former ferry?  This is certainly not useless info  ;).

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2014, 10:43:54 AM »
Martin,

isn't the long up hiller the 13th which now goes through a deep gully to a new green but used to go up over the hill to a green on the top which was still there and being maintained when I played last year. This is followed by a delightful short par 4 dogleg right to an elevated green by the 11the tee and the maintenance sheds.

18 is a cracking hole requiring a shaped tee shot followed by a long and accurate second to an elevated green much like the last at Moray Old but with a drop on both sides. It used to be much easier until I discovered it wasn't a par 5 ::)

Jon

Bruce Katona

« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2014, 03:10:17 PM »
Marty: On your picture and caption of the the need for Stlhl's; you do get a bit of poor weather inland in the cold months don't ou?

Those ice storms with a bit of wind have a tendency to damage those shallow rooted week wooded trees located down in the bottoms of small valleys you know.....happenstance and all but it does happen more than you would think....nudge nudge, hint hint.

Doug Wright

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2014, 03:13:00 PM »
The Boat is definitely worth a visit while en route to the Highlands, which is how me and a friend did it last year.  We went straight from Glasgow Airport to the course - about three hours driving - had lunch and headed to the first tee.  It's definitely a ball striker's track, as it's not friendly to the spray hitter (as we Americans say) and doesn't offer the bomber much, if any, advantage.  The closing hole with its elevated green is especially tough.

We did this as well en route to Dornoch, and The Boat was well worth the visit. A really fun course with quirk included at no extra charge!
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back