News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: Why Such Mediocrity?
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2018, 12:07:16 PM »
Bill,

I think that's an interesting post.  Quentin has certainly taken lots of chances with his quirky, off-beat, and at times very controversial topics in his movies. My personal favorite in this category of director is Paul Thomas Anderson.  His movies are very unconventional and range across several genres.  My personal favorite being "There will be Blood" which is nothing short of cinematic masterpiece.

I think about a GCA equivalent and the only one that comes to mind is Desmond M, but I don't think his courses are as well liked comparatively as these guys movies.

P.S.  My GCA dream has always been to get a parcel and give free reign to the architect to build something really unique...

Tom_Doak

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2018, 12:30:27 PM »

What architects, past or present, would most be like Tarantino in terms of wanting everything with their name on it to shine?

The amateur designers, who didn't care about money:  C.B. Macdonald, George Thomas, Hugh Wilson.

Also:  Mike Strantz, who would only build one project at a time.

Today:  me, and Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw.  We could easily have done twice as many projects as we have, but being that busy would drag down the quality of the work.  It's more important to us that everything we do is a really good example of our work.  You could make the same case for lots of guys today, because there isn't enough work to go around, but you won't really know if it holds true until they have a chance to spread themselves too thin.  ;)

The hard part of this is, you don't do great work on your own.  We've got lots of talented people helping us, and they are more expensive to keep around than a new pool.  They are getting better at handling renovation jobs on their own, but I still spend more time away from home on that stuff than I'd like to.
[size=78%] [/size]
[/size]

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2018, 12:43:21 PM »
Almost everyone thinks that they're doing good work -- but often they're not. Others are doing the work much better, because they're more talented, work harder, care more, aim for/intend the very best, and aspire to achieving the heights of the craft instead of catering to the realities of the marketplace. Time will shake out today's truly top courses from the 2nd best, and in 20 years we'll see/realize that now as in the past, the folks who do truly great work are rare.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2018, 12:54:33 PM »
Peter,

I agree with this.  Like I posted in the other thread, its not about a lack of desire, just one of ability...

And its nothing to be ashamed of, I'm in the same category in my profession!  In that spirit I offer of up the fine words of Salieri from Amadeus.."I absolve you"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yog8qXhQR2U
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 12:56:49 PM by Kalen Braley »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back