News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gary Slatter

Re: Over the top greens
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2011, 02:58:57 PM »
the course looked like fun, surrounds look a bit boring with the traffic and buildings, but the course appears to need challenging greens.   I also hear Rick Baril's name mentioned as designer, a few times during the broadcast.  IMHO Rick did some good work at
 White Witch and some excellent work at Cinamon Hill (for RVHagge).
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

GBoring

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2011, 03:10:26 PM »
Jim,

There are numerous pictures of the renovation on my maintenance blog.  I have a section for Construction photos and that will direct you to my photobucket account.  The website is listed under my signature. 

Alfonso Erhardt

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2011, 04:01:41 PM »
I took this pictures this morning at El Encin. Something went wrong with my camera so I missed a couple of greens, but this will give you an idea of what the greens are like. I am a very lousy photographer as the greens are waaay more severe than what the pictures show.

In general, the most difficult part is that the many greens are very, very wide but have very little front to back depth (15meters), making holding shots very difficult unless you are very close and have a wedge in your hand. This doesn't happen that much as the course plays pretty long....

Another feature is that most greens have a depression that runs front to back, dividing them in two or more sections/platforms. The depression is usually 1-1,5meters deep, making two putts from section to section extremely challenging.

Some of the photos follow:

The 3rd, a 190m par three where the green is more than 50 meters wide. I played to where the photo is taken from and had no way of getting to the pin for 2 putts.

The 4th, a par 5.  Photo doesn't do justice to the swales

The 6th. A huge double green with the 8th. The green has a depth of 15-20 meters. The raised platform on the back is a good 1.5m above the bottom platform.

The 7th slopes front to back and none of the green is visible from the fairway. The hole is a 440m par 4 where the only chance of getting to the pin on the picture is bouncing on the front platform and letting the ball run down. Anything else will run past the green and down to a swale.

The 10th, from the fairway and from the side of the green. Although the green can be reached with short iron, please look (again) at the amazing width of the green (more than 50m) and the very little space available to hold the ball when approaching the green. No chance at playing at an angle to take advantage of the shape of the green

The 14th has a very large swale/hollow in the middle where most balls ended up this weekend.

The 16th breaks away with the lack of depth and is a 170m par 3 with a 60 meter long green. Need a very powerful draw to reach the back pin as the hole is played at an angle to the green and over water.

The 17th also features a very long green: 65 meters. You can see that in some sections it is not more than 10-12 paces wide. The hole is a very long par 4 (433m) and the back of the green severely slopes away from the shot.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 04:15:57 PM by Alfonso Erhardt »

Jim Eder

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2011, 04:26:47 PM »
Alfonso,

Thanks for the pictures, they look terrific.  Well done!!  Very helpful to see them in your pics vs just television.

Greg,

Thanks, I will take a look at your blog. Much appreciated.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back