News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gary Slatter

Re: GB&I courses you wish you hadn't played
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2014, 02:30:40 PM »
I was disappointed with the K  Club, but it was early April and wet.  However, my partners were outstanding and the rounds were wonderful.
At first I did not appreciate the Castle Course, but now it has turned into a fine new links type course, according to several supers.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2014, 06:39:35 PM »

The "best" course I've played over there that I would not go back for was Gleneagles.  Didn't do anything for me and if stranded there I'd grab my wedge and head out to the "wee links" par 3 course instead.

Chris,

which one? There are three and I find it hard to believe it could be either the Kings or Queens which are both great courses.

Jon

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2014, 10:21:47 PM »
I've played 71 in GB&I and the only round I regret is one I played at Lytham & St Annes... not because of the course, but because it was pouring rain and I mostly just remember looking at the ground as I trudged along... plus, I lost a few quid to the Baildon Butcher.  :(

Oh come on...it wasn't that bad  ;D ;D

You had a GREAT day! Played like a champion in all that rain. I was so impressed. But, I remember almost nothing about the course... just a hole here and there. We need to go back.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2014, 11:10:21 PM »
I've played 71 in GB&I and the only round I regret is one I played at Lytham & St Annes... not because of the course, but because it was pouring rain and I mostly just remember looking at the ground as I trudged along... plus, I lost a few quid to the Baildon Butcher.  :(

Oh come on...it wasn't that bad  ;D ;D

You had a GREAT day! Played like a champion in all that rain. I was so impressed. But, I remember almost nothing about the course... just a hole here and there. We need to go back.

Whitty, I remember our great match vs Andrew and Lloyd Cole at Elie.  We didn't lose!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2014, 04:02:56 AM »
Aye, it was brilliant!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Simon Pain

« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2014, 06:01:12 AM »
Dornoch, a wonderful course even if the last 2 holes are pretty weak ruined by rude and arrogant staff only interested in taking your money. Tain a very disappointing links course with rude staff AND members. Turnberry Kintyre flat dull and uninteresting course of identical holes with about 2 exceptions where it goes up to the lighthouse. An absolute rip off at £90 trading off the back of the magnificnet Ailsa course - true value £35 a round.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2014, 06:40:24 AM »
Dornoch, a wonderful course even if the last 2 holes are pretty weak ruined by rude and arrogant staff only interested in taking your money. Tain a very disappointing links course with rude staff AND members. Turnberry Kintyre flat dull and uninteresting course of identical holes with about 2 exceptions where it goes up to the lighthouse. An absolute rip off at £90 trading off the back of the magnificnet Ailsa course - true value £35 a round.

Simon,

I am not sure I would describe either of the last two holes at Dornoch as weak. A for Tain, it is a great course tee to green IMHO but suffers from one of the most mundane set of greens I have ever come across. If they were to improve these they would have a fabulous course. For me you are spot on with Kintyre though hopefully Mr. Trump will remedy this in the near future.

Jon

Chris Cupit

« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2014, 11:11:32 AM »

The "best" course I've played over there that I would not go back for was Gleneagles.  Didn't do anything for me and if stranded there I'd grab my wedge and head out to the "wee links" par 3 course instead.

Chris,

which one? There are three and I find it hard to believe it could be either the Kings or Queens which are both great courses.

Jon

I played Kings (2 rounds) and Queens (1).  I guess I just didn't "get it" on either course.  I wasn't a fan of Muirfield either so..... ::)

Maybe "I wish I hadn't played" is too strong for any of those three courses--I just was expecting more and was left with that "eh" feeling. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2014, 11:37:58 AM »

Chris,

Jon

I played Kings (2 rounds) and Queens (1).  I guess I just didn't "get it" on either course.  I wasn't a fan of Muirfield either so..... ::)

Maybe "I wish I hadn't played" is too strong for any of those three courses--I just was expecting more and was left with that "eh" feeling. 

Was the rough way up at Muirfield?   ;D.   I thought it might be the "purest" course I've ever played.  There were no weak holes and every one was laid out right in front of you.  But my only day there was calm and the rough not too high and thick.  I can see how a windy day with high, thick rough could cause one to not want a return visit. 

Chris Cupit

« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2014, 09:55:06 AM »
Bill,

It was a British Mid-Am years ago.  I will admit my poor play may have influenced me but while the club could not have been a more gracious host (club opened up for wives at the player's party and every member I met could not have been more pleasant), the course just seemed blah. 

The ground was extremely flat.  While I appreciate the history of the routing and the placement of the bunkers was fine (if that means bunkers are right where you will drive the ball) they were all similar in how they played. Again this is common at links courses and I am ok with that too.

Is did not think the greens were particularly interesting, all the par threes seemed to play the same. 

My favorite hole was 11.  Up and over the hill was a nice change of pace.  The downhill, dogleg 8th was interesting.  Par three 7th (?) I liked and 17 was really good and I loved the cross bunkers. 

I'm certainly glad I played in the Campnship so I need to amend and say I am glad I played Muirfield.  It just wasn't a wow for me.

jeffwarne

« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2014, 05:19:20 PM »
It's great to hear about the courses that folk posting herein have played in GB&I.

I'd be interested to know however, which courses you wish you hadn't played and the reason(s) why.

atb

Honestly can't think of any in the UK and Ireland, but I tend to do a lot of research beforehand on people's opinions I respect and share.
The closest I can think are courses I have chosen not to return to when in the area, but I certainly don't regret having played them.
Maybe Machrihanish Dunes as it was an absolute slog, but I actually want to return there as I saw great potential esp with the sheep tachkling the rough.

here in the US there are of course a few, but even competitive rounds tend to be at pretty good classic courses, though playing in the MET Open years ago at Metedeconk certainly qualifies as regretful ::) ::)

« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 05:36:49 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Paul Gray

« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2014, 05:29:16 PM »
I've thought about this each and every time it's appeared somewhere near the top of the tread list and I've concluded that I am genuinely pleased to have experienced each and every course I've played.

I confess to being genuinely angry at what I've seen on occasion but, nonetheless, there's not a single course which I haven't learnt something from, be it a negative or a positive.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Ryan Coles

« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2014, 10:05:55 PM »

Really surprised to read that Simon. Always found the welcome to be warm, without being forced or false like you can get at some places. Ditto the comments re: members they've always seemed proud to talk up their Club's to visitors.

Doug Wright

« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2014, 01:23:16 PM »
The Struie at Royal Dornoch.

Played it between rounds on the championship course (which is my all time no 1) and didn't enjoy it. In 2005 most fairways were lined with impenetrable gorse. In 3 return visits, haven't given it another chance.

I suspect it's a lot better than I give it credit for but I prefer Golspie and Tain.

Agree re Struie--perhaps because we we were required to play it when we'd much preferred to play 36 at the championship course. Or perhaps it was the gorse and the unmemorable holes. Also Dromoland Castle was mentioned above--a boring wet slog of a parkland course. Can't believe we wasted a morning there (the hotel was OK though). I think the course has been redone since I played there; it sure needed it.

A pretty small percentage of the courses I've been fortunate to play in GB&I, however.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Brett Wiesley

« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2014, 01:49:04 PM »
I'll second Dromorland & Doonbeg

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2014, 03:42:57 PM »
Simon Pain - surely a "rip off" is poor planning. No one is forced to play a golf course so there are options to play elsewhere and find value.
Cave Nil Vino

Jason Topp

« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2014, 04:27:25 PM »
Dromoland would be my candidate although I played it after some work was done and found it perfectly acceptable for a warm up round the day we landed.

I still do not think I can put it on the list because the weather was beautiful, the course was acceptable and the place had a fun vibe that day.  The US President was visiting shortly after we played and the grounds were filled with security people roaming the property.  There were a few people in our group of 16 that could have been the target of their surveillance. 

Jud_T

« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2014, 06:00:40 PM »
The European Club-  An unrelenting championship test that was not only beyond my abilities in a stiff breeze, but was not what the doctor ordered at the end of a golf-heavy trip.  Another go at Baltray, Portmarnock, the Island or even RCD would have been significantly more enjoyable, even for the sticks in the group at that point in the journey.

Turnberry-  Tough to really judge the course itself given that we played in the toughest conditions ever- i.e. sideways rain and 60 mph gusts (yup, you read that correctly, SIXTY!!)  Out on the point you had to lean into the wind so as not to be blown over.  I hit driver 360 downwind and hit the same club hole high on a 120 yard par 3 into it's teeth.  Still, I have the sinking feeling that I'd have been better off with another go at Prestwick and 95 quid in my pocket.  The haggis is not to be missed however.  Sadly, it's no longer on the menu.

Ballybunion Cashen-  Hard to pass up the free round at the Cashen they threw in with a time on the Old Course but as we learned at the University of Chicago, there is no such thing as a free lunch.  Our first hint should have been when the caddies requested carts.  In hindsight I would have paid dearly for either another round on the Old or a massage and a few hours in the pub.  One of the more severe properties you're likely to see.  When you look up 'Goat Track' in the dictionary, there's a picture of this course, primarily because only a goat would comfortably walk his second round of the day on this course, and he wouldn't be foolish enough to play golf while he did.  Combine massive dunes with tight fairways and a 30 mph cross wind and it's a recipe for disaster for all but the most masochistic.  The last thing one wants to do after seeing a slight fade turned into a banana slice or a baby draw turned into a duck hook by the 'breeze' is hike up a massive, steep dune to hack his ball out, hike back down said dune only be faced with yet another similarly penal shot.  UGH.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Doug Wright

« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2014, 06:14:26 PM »
Ballybunion Cashen-   Combine massive dunes with tight fairways and a 30 mph cross wind and it's a recipe for disaster for all but the most masochistic.  

Sounds like Prairie Dunes... Oops, wrong thread!

Twitter: @Deneuchre

James Boon

« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2014, 05:10:02 PM »
Let's be honest, most of you are talking about courses you probably won't go back to or there are certain things there you really didn't like rather than wishing you hadn't played? ::)

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back