News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BHoover

New Member Introduction
« on: October 06, 2011, 10:30:50 PM »
Hello everyone.  I have been following Golf Club Atlas for a while now, but I just became a member today.  I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself.

My name is Brian Hoover and I'm currently living in Columbus, Ohio.  I've been here in Columbus since 2002 when I started law school at OSU.  I'm 34 and my wife and I (along with our two dogs and cat) live in the German Village neighborhood just south of the city.  I've been working as an attorney for the past 6 years.  Just recently left law firm life to take an in-house legal position.

I grew up in Northeast Ohio, which was where I first discovered the game.  In high school, I had the opportunity to work and play at Brookside CC in Canton.  That course was my first introduction to Golden Age architecture.  I recently had the chance to play there post-renovation and I was blown away.  Brookside still is my favorite course. 

I currently play my golf at Columbus CC.  I've been fortunate to play most of the courses here in central Ohio and am always looking to experience new courses.  Despite growing up in NE Ohio, I'm still working on playing some of the greats near Cleveland.  Kirtland and TCC are at the top of my list. 

I guess my favorites that I've played would be: Brookside (Canton), NCR, The Golf Club, Scioto and Muirfield Village.

I'm really looking forward to joining this community and expanding my knowledge of golf course architecture and the history of the game.  Thanks!

Brian

Mac Plumart

Re: New Member Introduction
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 10:37:58 PM »
Welcome!!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

mike_beene

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 12:24:20 AM »
congratulations on getting out of the law firm life.Twenty years in it have made the last 6 out very appreciated.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 05:00:29 AM »
Welcome Brian

Ever travelled O/S to play golf ? Any dream golf destinations ?

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 06:20:18 AM »
Welcome Brian,

How long is your season over there? How often do you get out to play?
@theflatsticker

Michael George

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 06:45:44 AM »

Brian:

Welcome to the board.  Glad to have a fellow Ohio golfer in the group.  I still have not garnered the guts to do so, but I certainly congratulate you for leaving private practice.  I am a corporate attorney at a law firm in northeast Ohio.  41 years old, happily married with 5 great kids and a large gca library that my wife thinks was money thrown away on "golf books that no one else would want".  I  would love to host you at Sharon GC sometime with Bill Steele, a fellow Columbus guy on the site.   

Growing up at Canton Brookside certainly must have been a treat.  I have regularly called it the most underrated golf course that I have ever played.  Playing there tomorrow for the third time this summer.  Plan on taking photos in the fall and posting a photo tour on the site.

Take care and keep in touch.

"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

BHoover

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 09:19:07 AM »
Thank you all for the welcome. 

Kevin, I've made a few golf trips out of Ohio.  But I haven't played many places of particular note.  I've been to the UK and Ireland twice, but unfortunately, neither time did I have the chance to play.  The first time I went over was to spend a summer in Oxford while in law school.  I did take the train down to Sandwich for the 2003 Open, which was great fun.  When I went to Ireland, I walked a few holes on Lahinch, but regrettably I wasn't playing the course.  So one of my dream trips would be to play some links golf in the UK/Ireland.  I'm trying to get permission from my wife to go to Bandon next fall (we'll see).  If I ever have the chance, I'd like to play some of the old clubs in the NE (Merion, Shinnecock, NGLA, Newport, PV...all would be dream destinations).

Brett, our golf season in central Ohio generally runs from April through October.  This year has been pretty lousy (lots of rain in the spring and early summer, extreme heat in the summer, and then more rain recently).  The past couple of years, the best time to golf has been October and November because we had very little rain and plenty of wind, which kept the course firm and fast.  Unfortunately, we don't have enough of that type of weather...although it has been really nice this week.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a nice October and November.

Brian

BHoover

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 09:27:23 AM »
Michael,

Nice to be welcomed by a fellow NE Ohioan.  I grew up in North Canton, and my wife is from Bath, so we make the trek up to NE Ohio frequently.  I would love to play Sharon at some point.  I've never played there, but I've heard great things from a friend of my wife's parents who is a member.

As for the law, I worked as a transactional tax attorney at one of the big firms here in Columbus.  It was a good experience, but I'm happy to have moved to an in-house role.  I certainly don't miss the billable hour, but I definitely learned a lot at my old firm.  And I met a lot of great people and had the chance to play some great courses with the partners.

Canton Brookside should be fantastic this time of year, especially with the weather we've had this week.  I've told my wife that if we ever move back to the area, that is where I would want to play.  I think it's still my favorite.  Enjoy it tomorrow.

All the best.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 09:52:41 AM »
Brian,

Welcome.  Any fan of Brookside is a friend of mine!  I went to Jackson K-8 so we're from the same neck of the woods.

Here's a taste of Brookside for you from #10 tee

Hey MG,

Get on those photos and start a tour!  I was supposed to play Brookside last week, but my host had to cancel and so my next visit will have to wait until spring. 

Pete Blaisdell

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 01:12:31 PM »
Welcome Brian. Looking forward to your posts on Ohio golf. Does not get any better than The Golf Club and the tee shot on the second at Scioto is one of my favorite " looks " in the game.
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

BHoover

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 01:19:05 PM »
Welcome Brian. Looking forward to your posts on Ohio golf. Does not get any better than The Golf Club and the tee shot on the second at Scioto is one of my favorite " looks " in the game.

Thanks, Pete.  Happy to be part of the discussion.  The Golf Club is fantastic.  I can't wait to get out there again.  As for Scioto, I haven't played it post-renovation, but I'm actually heading out there next week.

Brian Laurent

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 09:09:59 PM »
Brian...welcome to the GCA board! You mentioned you were browsing on here but not that you are now an active participant.

Becker...I think you guys may have a mutual friend in common.

Hoping we can actually get out and play again sometime this summer. Enjoyed meeting you at the Brookside (Columbus) Invitational.

B
"You know the two easiest jobs in the world? College basketball coach or golf course superintendent, because everybody knows how to do your job better than you do." - Roy Williams | @brianjlaurent | @OHSuperNetwork

PThomas

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 09:26:07 PM »
welcome Brian - I eat at Katzingers deli a lot when I go to Columbus for work..
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

BHoover

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 09:59:39 PM »
Brian...welcome to the GCA board! You mentioned you were browsing on here but not that you are now an active participant.

Becker...I think you guys may have a mutual friend in common.

Hoping we can actually get out and play again sometime this summer. Enjoyed meeting you at the Brookside (Columbus) Invitational.

B

I actually just became. Member on here last week. I'm going to Jax this weekend, but we should get together and play in the next couple of weeks. I spoke with Elliott about all of us getting together to play soon.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2011, 11:19:09 AM »
Welcome Brian!

I am a Cleveland area guy, and its always nice to know of other Ohio GCA'rs.  We had a small Cleveland area layout early this summer and I'm hoping to do another one next year...please stay on the lookout for that, would love to have you included.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

don_bartlett

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2011, 04:05:55 PM »
Welcome Brian, from another new member.  Have you played Muirfiled Villiage before and after they redid 16 green?
I visited Columbus last summer and couldn't get onto MV, but I got to play Cook's Creek.  It's a good John Cook and Hurdzen design.
Welcome to the site.

BHoover

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2011, 05:12:03 PM »
Welcome Brian, from another new member.  Have you played Muirfiled Villiage before and after they redid 16 green?
I visited Columbus last summer and couldn't get onto MV, but I got to play Cook's Creek.  It's a good John Cook and Hurdzen design.
Welcome to the site.

I haven't played the Village after the new 16th hole was built. When I played there last year, the area around the green was being sodded. It looked like a good hole, though. As for Cook's Creek, I've played there many times. The only problem is that the course sirs next to the Scioto River, so it's always soggy, if not soaking wet.

don_bartlett

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2011, 01:52:31 PM »
Yes it was wet -  really wet when I played it - yet they still had the sprinklers on at 7am....  Good layout, although I found that the course was quite penal - the way they have the mounding that surrounds most holes creates strange bounces and usually ends up costing you...
I tried to play Muirfiled when I was there but they were still working on 16...  One day I'll get there.

Andy Silis

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2011, 08:07:51 AM »
Welcome to the site......Your Pro at Columbus CC Gary Taylor is a good friend and one of the class PGA Professionals in all of golf....

Andy Silis
National Sales Manager
Tour Edge/Exotics Golf Mfg.

BHoover

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2011, 09:39:21 AM »
Welcome to the site......Your Pro at Columbus CC Gary Taylor is a good friend and one of the class PGA Professionals in all of golf....

Andy Silis
National Sales Manager
Tour Edge/Exotics Golf Mfg.

Thanks, Andy.  Gary Taylor at CCC is a great guy.  I've really enjoyed my experience out there.  I just wish the conditions were a little better...firmer fairways and fewer trees.  CCC has fallen on tough times, but hopefully things will improve at some point.  But GT and the rest of the guys in the golf shop do a great job in spite of the limited resources.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2011, 10:54:50 AM »
welcome Brian, glad to have you on board...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back