News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Clayman

Number 2 is ...
« on: October 04, 2011, 06:08:36 AM »
TheSheit!

For those over 50, that's a good thing.

I don't have time to post much right now, but, suffice to say, the restoration of Pinehurst #2 is truly amazing.

Since I have no previous experience at the famed resort, I can only extrapolate backwards on what it must have been like. The current course rivals Bandon Dunes, and Ballyneal for the fun, freedom and joy, one can now experience playing Links-like golf in the US of A.

One of our long time top secret posters was instrumental in the direction C+C was able to go, in the restoring of Donald Ross's beloved course.

More to follow....
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Adam Clayman

Re: Number 2 is ...
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 06:37:12 AM »
Some call it the Austrailian look. You know, when there's no stupid rough stopping a ball from rolling into a bunker. Well, the Deuce is replete with this effect, and not a stitch of rough. To say this is an ideal is an understatement. For me, it represents the core principles of the sport, allowing balls to ultimately reach their final conclusion in an almost unpredictable manner. I say almost because for the creative shotmaker, sometimes these things are predictable.

After a long summer of growing in the sodded greens, yesterday, they were double cut and rolled to perfection. Their firmness was nearly ideal, even for the national open.

After the round our group was treated to a talk by Bill Coore, where he detailed the process and the mindset that the team followed. What was fascinating was how open minded they were going into the project. Btw, that's code for not really knowing how to proceed until after further research, and a little help from our top secret poster.     .....
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 07:02:30 AM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mac Plumart

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 07:33:50 AM »
Adam...

I agree the "new" #2 is truly world class.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Michael George

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 07:38:42 AM »

I have read in multiple places that Don Padgett II, who is the son of the old pro at Pinehurst and is current General Manager of the resort, was instrumental in returning #2 to its roots.  He grew up at the resort with his father and remembered much of how the course used to be.  While C & C obviously were responsible for the changes, the direction was routed by Mr. Padgett.

Also, we should not forget Mike Davis at the USGA.  Pinehurst would not have done anything if it was not blessed by the USGA.  Mike Davis was fully supportive of the renovation, which allowed it to happen.

"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Anthony Gray

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 08:09:09 AM »

I have played it on two occasions before the restoration and did not plan to return. But now I agree it looks great. Not sure if I will ever see it as one of those "fun" courses I've grown to love.

Anthony

Matt MacIver

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 09:42:36 AM »
I liken #2 to The Old Course (and very few others) for these reasons: it's near impossible to lose your ball; they're challenging for all levels; the green complexes and varied pin placements create multiple shot options; both low and high scores are possible (TOC = wind; #2 = green speeds); so...they're both extremely fun, creative, non-boring courses. 

However, and sadly, both are pricey for non-locals so multiple plays to get to know the subtleties is not available.  Hence why first-timers don't often "get them". 

Having played #2 both pre- and post-, I do like the new "look" better as well as the no-rough.  But several non-gca.com golfers and my non-golfing wife thinks the new scruffy look is ugly.  So there's more education to be done, but it's a great start. 

Mike Hendren

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 09:45:49 AM »
I have heard concern expressed that the renovation will yield extremely low scores for the U. S. Open as the sandy areas are generally hard-packed and much easier to play from than the previous rough.  In other words the course will play right into the hands of the bomb and gougers.  

Any thoughts from those who've been there?

Mike
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 10:11:00 AM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

PThomas

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 09:59:33 AM »
I agree Adam: a great course got even greater
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

hhuffines

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 11:54:03 AM »
Mike,

While I agree with Adam that the "new" course is great, I'm not sure the sandy waste areas are where they need to be yet for golfers like me, much less professionals.  I'm sure it will take some time to find a good mixture of sand, pine needles and organic material but as for now its much too easy to hit a quality shot from the scrub.  I did encounter a couple of areas that had 6-8" drainage gulleys and no one is getting out of those successfully.  I wonder if the resort will allow those to remain.  I was also confused as to which sand areas were waste versus a true bunker that is raked.

That said I am among those who love the new look and am appreciative the resort folks were brave enough to do this!!!

Hart

Matt MacIver

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 01:01:20 PM »
I have heard concern expressed that the renovation will yield extremely low scores for the U. S. Open as the sandy areas are generally hard-packed and much easier to play from than the previous rough.  In other words the course will play right into the hands of the bomb and gougers.  

Any thoughts from those who've been there?

Mike

I think the hard-pan will be easier to play from than the old rough, on full swings (100 yards+); probably can even spin the ball some.  But I think the wispy grass in the natural areas will cause more "rub of the green" lies vs. simply rough. 

Around the greens, I think the hardpan will be harder to play from vs. "regular" sand bunkers; can't wait to see the pros try a flop shot from the hardpan on those firm, turtle-backed greens. 

William_G

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 03:46:47 PM »
Love the newly restored #2!!!!..
played there yesterday, and the course was the best condition it's yet been in as Mr. Coore was playing,,,the resodded greens double cut, rolled, and some tough hole locations...
the wire grass in the new waste areas has some more planting and growing to do
it is so much better looking and exciting to play without wall to wall bermuda, it's awesome

however it is also easier at this point as the new waste areas offer easy recoveries

several new US Open tees were added for length and plays at par 70 for the US Open

interestingly the US Women's Open will be played the week after the men in 2014

very cool for new #2 and kudos to the owners as well as C&C.. getting aerial photos of #2 from around 1935 allowed for the proper restoration

thanks!

It's all about the golf!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 11:22:41 PM »
With almost 3 years until the 2014 open, the evolution of the course is only beginning. Concerns about easier are not only silly, they miss the point entirety. Going low will be well earned if anyone does it. I.e. The 5th fairway maybe 48 yards wide, but where these guys bomb it, the cant  is greater, reducing the effective width to less than 15 yards if the fairway is to be held.

Yes, the resort, (Mr. Padgett) were the ones who contacted the design team about making the changes. And yes, Mike Davis and the usga have given their blessing to the return of the deuce. But it was left up to the design team to decide where, and how to do it.

The wrong road taken, back during the golden age is being slowly reversed. The last thing we all should do is to promote the game mind that sent the sport into the bowling alley like fairways and principles that made American golf enter the dark age.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 05:31:41 PM »

Tom Yost

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 06:37:57 PM »
Isn't it a contradiction where the USGA (seemingly) embraces a return of the width at #2, meanwhile they want the rough grown in and fairways narrowed at Chambers ?

Matthew Sander

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 06:42:30 PM »
Tom,

I share your sentiments and feel that narrowing the fairways at Chambers really reduces some of the strategic interest of the course. I guess the distinction that can be made is that narrowing the fairways at #2 would leave relatively narrow fairways, while narrowing the fairways at Chambers will leave fairways that are still quite wide in most cases...only a thought...

David Hendler

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2011, 07:48:29 PM »
I am a new member to GCA and this is my first post. I am high single-digit player, love golf, college football, Yankee baseball and golf!  I play primarily in South Florida but have travelled the world looking to play some interesting/historic/unique layouts.

I was very excited to read this post as I am playing No 2 next Thursday! The write-ups have all been positive. If anyone is interested I will post some pictures from my round there and try to take as many as possible.  Looking back at previous postings I saw there was some debate about the Dormie Club and hope to chime in on that after playing there next week.

Cheers,
Dave

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back