News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Clayman

Re: Are the hardest collection of par 3's,
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2011, 08:12:04 PM »
With the new perfect maintenance meld, the #2 course at Pinehurst could qualify. Even if I shoulda birdied 2 of them. The highhly contoured greens with no rough to stop your ball is my reason. What's your reason Patrick?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2011, 08:46:39 PM »

With the new perfect maintenance meld, the #2 course at Pinehurst could qualify. Even if I shoulda birdied 2 of them. The highhly contoured greens with no rough to stop your ball is my reason. What's your reason Patrick?

Adam,

All four par 3's at Caves Valley have intervening or flanking hazards.

The 4th hole requires a forced carry over water.

The 8th hole requires a forced carry from a high elevated tee with water flanking the entire right side of the green.

The 12th hole requires a forced carry from a very high elevated tee over a hazard to a diagonal green with an upper tier.

The 15th hole requires a forced carry from a lower tee with the hazard also flanking the right side with a high hill on the left side.

All four par 3's have bogie, double bogie and triple bogie written all over them.
They are a severe test, individually and collectively.

The par 3's at Pinehurst # 2, while challenging, don't present the same degree of difficulty from all three tees.

Dean Stokes

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2011, 08:51:23 PM »
Seminole.....especially with the breeze, the hard fast greens, and the 'actual' landing area on the greens to hold the green. Thought that was an easy one for you Pat ;)
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Andy Shulman

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2011, 09:08:16 PM »
A second vote for Golden Horseshoe-Gold, especially for the mid- to high handicapper.  Water in play on all four and especially so on three of the four.

Ron Csigo

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2011, 09:12:13 PM »
I'm going to cast my vote for the par-3s at Lahinch.
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2011, 09:56:32 PM »
Patrick, I am going to disagree. Caves has perfect tee boxes, pure greens, well maintained rough/bunkers and from my understanding, calm weather.

Rye is much more difficult (particularly with the standard wind howling across the course)(Interestingly, Rye is also more fun).
@Pure_Golf

John Shimp

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2011, 10:18:38 PM »
New course at St Andrews is a great call. I wisp of a course that plays quite tough. 9 is just a brutal 3 but the entire set is tough.

David Kelly

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2011, 10:29:41 PM »
Lawsonia, Plum Hollow, Prairie Dunes, Cape Kidnappers, Bandon Dunes and Royal Dornoch all come to mind.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Shane Wright

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2011, 09:57:02 AM »

Totally agree, Lahinch's are very difficult.

Several of the mentions here are a great combination of difficult and fun.  But if you are talking pure difficulty with disaster waiting, Medinah's have to be thrown into the equation.   

Carl Nichols

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2011, 11:16:48 AM »

Totally agree, Lahinch's are very difficult.

Several of the mentions here are a great combination of difficult and fun.  But if you are talking pure difficulty with disaster waiting, Medinah's have to be thrown into the equation.   

Shane:
Good call on Medinah for difficulty.  I'd add AAC to the list as well for similar reasons.

michael damico

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2011, 11:27:38 AM »
I think Crooked Stick's set of 3's should be mentioned, not necessarily the top, but on the list...
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
                                                                -fz

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2011, 11:28:17 AM »
Those poster series fantasy par threes sure look tough......
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back