News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Boon

History of the routing of Hankley Common GC
« on: October 04, 2011, 08:53:12 AM »
While at Hankley Common as part of this years Buda Cup, I took plenty of photos, but Scott thread here
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,44140.0.html
and Philips from a few years ago here
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,30891.msg608578
probably show the course well enough already. However, I thought some might be interested in a couple of plans I managed to get quick photos of from the clubs history book. Unfortunately, I only got hold of this just before we were leaving so didn’t have a chance to read any detail.

First, the plan which shows the original layout along with Braid’s proposals, though my apologies, as I didn’t manage to get the date:

Second, the plan from 1924, which shows the actual layout built:

You can see how the 1924 plan, that the 10th, 17th and 18th appear to be pretty innocuous little par 3s. Therefore it was these 3 holes that were removed when Colt came along later and added the current 10th, 11th and 12th.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Scott Warren

Re: History of the routing of Hankley Common GC
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 03:43:53 PM »
That's really interesting, James. Thanks for posting that.

I wonder what led Braid to build three such holes on such an expansive site? Unless the club didn't own the current 10-12 land at that time.

Does it mention any changes Colt made to the existing Braid holes?

James Boon

Re: History of the routing of Hankley Common GC
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 04:29:40 AM »
Scott,

The short 17 and 18 appear to be from the earlier layout, though I too am surprised he didn't expand the layout and build some holes to replace those. Plenty of people suggested they were surprised how compact the course was with so much land around, but I suspect they didn't own or have rights to it all when they were building it.

Unfortunately I only got a fleeting glimpse at the history book before we left, but I'd be happy to e-mail the secretary with any questions and see if he can be of help?

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back