News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Nichols

Re: So what do you do when your club closes? Musgrove Mill GC
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2011, 06:24:15 PM »
If it is true that the operating costs for the entire club are only $700k/year including running the cottages and F&B, I'd be shocked if it didn't get swooped up in a hurry.  Unless McConnell is asking an unreasonable sum for it.

The 1500 members of GCA could cover that at less than $500 each/year.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2011, 06:57:41 PM »
If it is true that the operating costs for the entire club are only $700k/year including running the cottages and F&B, I'd be shocked if it didn't get swooped up in a hurry.  Unless McConnell is asking an unreasonable sum for it.

What would the acquisition cost be? Anybody call and ask?

« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 07:08:01 PM by Bruce Wellmon »

Bryan Drennon

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2011, 07:40:33 PM »
If it is true that the operating costs for the entire club are only $700k/year including running the cottages and F&B, I'd be shocked if it didn't get swooped up in a hurry.  Unless McConnell is asking an unreasonable sum for it.

If anyone wants to get serious with this proposition pm me. I live in Columbia and would gladly do any legwork needed to get the ball rolling.

Mike_Young

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2011, 08:55:47 PM »
Guy, remember this thread one year from now.  We are about to see many more courses like this close this year.  The owner is right to close it.  If there is a buyer it will have to be a cash buyer and it will require start-up cash also.  I know of seven right now that will not be operating a year from now.  In the end golf will be better for it.
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

SL_Solow

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2011, 09:24:28 PM »
With due respect to my friend Barney, we tend to overrate the influence of sites like this and of the rating process.  Supply and demand is driving incidents like this one.  It is unfortunate for the members but Mike Young has it right; there is an oversupply of golf courses and it won't necessarily be the architecturallyy interesting ones that survive.

JC Jones

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2011, 09:37:33 PM »
Guy, remember this thread one year from now.  We are about to see many more courses like this close this year.  The owner is right to close it.  If there is a buyer it will have to be a cash buyer and it will require start-up cash also.  I know of seven right now that will not be operating a year from now.  In the end golf will be better for it.

Didn't you just buy Long Shadow or have something to do with it being saved?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2011, 12:58:16 PM »

Mike, I understand what you are saying, but I am not sure golf is better off when a club like MM closes.  It is never a good thing when quality courses like MM close.  Golf is the poorer for it.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mike_Young

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2011, 03:13:00 PM »

Mike, I understand what you are saying, but I am not sure golf is better off when a club like MM closes.  It is never a good thing when quality courses like MM close.  Golf is the poorer for it.
Tommy,
I understand but at the same time quality by itself will not work.  IMHO
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2011, 03:37:38 PM »

Tommy,
I understand but at the same time quality by itself will not work.  IMHO

Unfortunately, you are correct. Quality isn't enough. The old saying rings true for MM: location, location, location. 
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back