News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Randy Thompson

Re: Was Dick Wilson
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2011, 07:04:39 PM »
Joe Lee was quite heavily involved here a Lagunita Country Club and he lived here for a good part of the time of construction. These green average out to 8,000m2 so I beleive that is around the 9,000 square feet mark. Even 6,500 to 7,000 at E-manor would be consider big for that era or no. Lagunita was done early 60´s I beleive, I wonder when the first triplex came out for greens mowers. They insist on cutting at 3mm (3.2 is 1/8 on an inch) on mutated Bermuda so I have had them switch back to walkers but they currently only have three. I feel sorry for the three guys that have to cut six greens at that size, six days a week!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 07:12:24 PM by Randy Thompson »

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2011, 07:38:14 PM »
Jeff I am so pleased to hear you are at La Costa. I like the way you are addressing the history there as well. It was a great disappointment how far they had let it go. It was a good course in its day. I hope they maintain your hard work when it is completed.

michael damico

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2011, 10:12:52 AM »
Pat,

thanks for posting the RTJ/DW story, enjoyed it thoroughly.

I only have a small amount of research and experience in the field compared to all of you, but I don't think Dick Wilson was the only drunk/substance abuser among the group of GCAs
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
                                                                -fz

JMEvensky

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2011, 10:31:21 AM »

I only have a small amount of research and experience in the field compared to all of you, but I don't think Dick Wilson was the only drunk/substance abuser among the group of GCAs

Apparently,Tillinghast was often too drunk to remember what he was told. ;D

michael damico

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2011, 10:39:21 AM »
what struck me the most about the article was the fact that Wilson, like MacKenzie, camouflaged airfields - something I had not known until now. The second was how he handled the depression. The third was the fact that he joined a designer who was what? roughly 20 years younger than him and THAT younger designers' firm.

How often has that happened, where a more experienced designer hops on board with a younger, less experienced designer? If anyone, this group would know...
                                                                -fz

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2011, 11:04:19 AM »
Michael,

Not quite the same, but Ron Kirby joined Nicklaus after years of being a relative success on his own.  He didn't like the business end and wanted to concentrate on design, which might be attractive to many.

I think there are others, as well.  Hey, maybe in a few years, I can lend my name to some up and comer to help him move into the prime time, while assisting the funding of my retirement......and staying somewhat active while slowing down.  It wouldn't be a terrible marketing scenario.....
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Lester George

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2011, 11:17:39 AM »

The camouflage is becoming a topic which interests me and I have discussed with Tom Paul a little. 

I spent 3 years teaching infantry tactics (mostly defense) at Ft Bragg, NC.  Camouflaging defensive postions, individuals, units and equipment was my specialty even though I was a grad of the US Field Artillery School.  I could teach troops to camouflage themselves and get within 40 feet of you and you would not know it.  I think this part of my training was definitely influential in the way I looked at golf and course design as my career began.  I think it was second nature for me.  I didn't start designing until 5 or 6 years later but I am sure I carried over some aspects of those terrain excercises in the Army into my courses.

I wonder which other architects may have done this.  John LaFoy was a combat engineer, I would say he has this trait as well.  Geoff Cornish was in the Canadian Airborne (D-Day) and Mike Hurdzan was Special Forces so I am sure he uses camouflage as a tactic in his designs. 

Can you guys think of any others ?

Lester

David Harshbarger

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2011, 12:34:57 PM »
Lester,

Do you consciously attempt to deceive the golfer with your designs, and use your background in camouflage to execute that plan?

Thanks, Dave
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Todd Bell

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2011, 12:36:58 PM »
Lester,

I believe some drunk named MacKenzie was instrumental in military camouflage.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2011, 01:03:13 PM »
Lester,

I have worn a fake mustache and glasses to my grand openings, and left them on at least until I hear what kind of comments are being made about the course......does that count as camoflage?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

michael damico

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2011, 01:13:29 PM »
Jeff,

a few drinks, a mustache and glasses...sounds like a Hunter Thompson night out...
                                                                -fz

Lester George

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2011, 02:15:15 PM »

Perhaps this should be another thread topic but I will respond to those comments:

Dave,

I do, on occasion try to deceive with uses of the horizon of bunkers or other forms of earth.  I suppose it is conscience.  I do use other concepts such as defilade, infilade or echelon in setting up some hazards but I am not sure I am thinking "hmmmm, let me see if defilade would work here" so I imagine it is just training or habit.

Todd,

MacKenzie's experience was in the Boer War where camouflage was a matter of life or death! 

Jeff,

Yes, in your case that counts as camouflage, and I imagine you often win the prize for being best dressed anyway.

Lester 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back