News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sam Morrow

Re: Which architect has done the most to encourage new golfers?
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2011, 01:59:29 PM »

Guys

‘Who did the most to encourage new golfers’

We all have our own opinions and reasons, mine is based upon, without Old Tom would Ross, Braid and a long list of others including CBM have played golf let alone looked at design.

So in answer to the question I say Old Tom.

Melvyn

Melvyn,

If you go on that basis then God is the most influential GCA of all time. He did create us.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2011, 02:01:57 PM »
R T Jones Sr. built a bunch of executive courses in the 60's and 70's that allowed new players a chance to learn the game on a shorter course that was still fun.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2011, 02:23:11 PM »
The two Bills,  Diddel and Amick.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2011, 02:30:19 PM »

Sam

Sorry mate but he does not exist but Old Tom did

Melvyn

Niall C

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2011, 02:37:00 PM »

Sam

Sorry mate but he does not exist but Old Tom did

Melvyn

prove it.........the last bit I mean

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2011, 03:08:01 PM »

Niall

Prove it - ok

Well here is a face to go with the name

Now all you have to do is get a photo of God.

Melvyn

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2011, 03:54:40 PM »
I'm glad to see Bendelow, Diddel and Amick getting plus points on GCA. They operated on a far bigger stage than those in the UK, but may I throw in the Hawtree family? Should we also include von Limburger and Arana? 

Randy Thompson

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2011, 04:07:46 PM »
R T Jones Sr. built a bunch of executive courses in the 60's and 70's that allowed new players a chance to learn the game on a shorter course that was still fun.
I agree

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2011, 04:42:21 PM »
The best thing Old Tom did for golf in his homeland was to send the Foulis brothers to America. 

Michael George

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2011, 06:14:49 PM »

I honestly don't think the gca has a lot to do with encouraging new golfers.  I still have not met a new golfer that knew the name of one designer or that got involved because they "liked" the golf course.  If in fact the gca did have an impact, it would likely be the local farmer that cut out fairways and greens and made a par 3 for some extra money. 

However, the gca plays possibly the most important role in getting a golfer to become "hooked" on the game.  Almost invariably, a "recreational golfer" becomes an "addicted golfer" when he has the opportunity to play a special course.  When confronted with golf as it was meant to be (in all of its special styles and forms), the golfer realizes the challenge and excitement of the game and usually never turns back.  Whether it be confonting a false front on an approach shot or hitting a majestic shot over a forced carry hazard or avoiding the lake or ocean on one side of the hole - that fire is lit and rarely does it ever go out.  He or she suddenly wants to improve their game so that they can challenge their home course and play more and better courses.

I can tell you the gca of every golf course that has given me this feeling.  I cannot tell you the gca of any of the par 3 golf courses that I played as a kid.
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Tom_Doak

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2011, 12:12:13 AM »
Instead of speculation or the usual playing favorites, this thread should elicit a bunch of personal responses from the members of this board.

My answer stays the same -- I would never have had a chance to play the game regularly were it not for the course Geoff Cornish built a mile from my family's home, that allowed me to play for $1 in the afternoons.  [For Scott Stearns:  say the same about Tom Fazio!]

So, which architect did the most to encourage YOU to play golf?

Sean_A

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2011, 02:13:11 AM »
I don't have a clue who got the most people into the game, but without a shadow of a doubt Donald Ross is the one and only architect I could name that got me into golf. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2011, 04:35:52 AM »
For the UK and if this thread means exactly what it says then since 1970 my answer would be John Day.

John Day is unheard of but built a lot (20) of cheap and cheerful golf courses aimed at the pay and play market.

Bob Sandow is another that has built a lot of cheaper courses though quite capable of some good uns, Rolls of Monmouth was his. Sadly Bob passed earlier this year.

Hawtrees have done the most work in the UK but their work is normally at a higher level.

Between 1930-1970 there was so little new stuff here that no architect in this category could really stand out.

Old Tom, James Braid are the obvious candidates for the early periods.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2011, 05:38:48 AM »
Hawtree did Poult Wood in Tonbridge a municiple where I learnt the game, a Mr Hiseman did the par 3 course.
Cave Nil Vino

Michael George

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2011, 07:45:36 AM »

I can tell you that the first course where I noticed a difference in golf course architecture was Pete Dye at Fowlers Mill in Cleveland in the early 90's.  If this course was better maintained, it would be known by many more Dye followers.  Before playing this course, I was pretty oblivious to where I was playing.  Afterwards I actually asked who designed the course, 
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

michael damico

« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2011, 10:15:32 AM »
Scott Witter
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
                                                                -fz

Randy Thompson

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2011, 10:40:56 AM »
Probably not an architect but person that came up with the idea of the public driving range sure grew the game.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2011, 10:41:11 AM »
Tom,

I'm not sure who designed the original Tony Lema course which is now Monarch Bay in San Leandro, CA.  But thats where I got my start.  The green fees weren't cheap, but they were at least reasonable.... $20 if I recall correctly.  The course is built on an old landfill and has terrific views of the bay.

Dave Herrick

« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2011, 11:14:41 AM »
In the spirit of Mr. Doak's post my choice would be Ralph Barton, who I believe designed the NLE 9 hole course at Hanover (NH) CC. When I was first taking up the game I could easily get on that course and have it to myself. There I did not have to be concerned with the self-consciousness that troubles neophytes who are trying to learn the game on a crowded muni.   

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2011, 11:35:02 AM »
My first course was a Benelow (Medinah) and then I was relegated to Rob Roy in Mt Prospect, said to be designed by Dearie, who I later found designed many Chicago Courses, and whose green style I liked.

However, I also often played the little nine hole adjunct course there, which appears to have been designed by no one in particular.  However, providing that low cost golf experience, whoever it might have been, did a lot to get local kids involved in golf.

As I once related to Brian Phillips, he (and Colt, for that matter, who seemed to influence him IMHO) rolled the edges of basically circular greens, giving a nice effect, whereas the Chicago School seemed to place mounds in the inside points of amoeba greens.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Jim Hoak

« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2011, 01:21:46 PM »
For all the criticism (most of it deserved) that Tom Fazio receives on this site, I believe he needs to be the answer to this question.  He has to be seen as the father of the golf retirement community--at least in the US.  And, until the recent collapse of the second home market, I would guess that more new golfers came into golf as the Baby Boomers retired and moved to second-home golf communities.  This would especially be true for women golfers, who began to play golf in retirement.
Fazio's courses may lack in imagination and creativity, but they are fun, relatively easy, beautiful, and welcoming to new golfers.  What  I would characterize as his consistent style in general terms--scooping out fairways to make the ball come back into the center, fun minature golf-style greens, ample space to build many homes overlooking pretty views of courses, long runs between greens and the next tee to ensure that golf carts are almost a necessity, etc.--is certainly conducive to bringing in new golfers.
So, whether you are critical of the end product or not, I think you have to conclude that golf retirement communities produced more new golfers in the last decade than any other trend, and Fazio is the logical answer to the question at least in recent times.

Niall C

« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2011, 01:23:05 PM »
Can't honestly say that any particular architect got me playing more but the course I grew up on was a 1922 David Adams layout. I only found that recently and until I started doing research I'd never heard of him. Turns out he designed quite a number of local courses in the greater Glasgow area and further afield in the early part of the 20th century. Further investigation turned up that as a kid he was Willie Campbells caddie at Ranfurly before Willie went to the US.

Niall

Jim Hoak

« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2011, 06:45:03 PM »
One other point on Fazio courses that encourages newcomers to the game is the number of tee options.  Sometimes there are 6 or more different course lengths to choose from.  While I don't necessarily like that as an architectural feature, it does encourage new players by allowing them options as they improve to move to longer tees.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2011, 09:51:47 PM »
Jim,

Statistically, I would wager Faz does more privates than publics, and they are very high end.  The number of high end private golfers (and clubs)pales to the number of public golfers, and most golfers start on more modest public courses.  So, while you make many fine points architecturally, I would have to say Faz is a move up architect, not one who caters to or influences beginners.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Randy Thompson

« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2011, 10:19:47 PM »
I agree with Jeff, his courses seem to be targeted to the top five to ten percent of the highest income bracket of golfers, not really acessible to the average golfer. Golf is like a drug, you don´t wake up and say I am going to start playing golf and buy a 25,000 dollar membership and layout 2,000 in clubs ect. The normal channel is one goes to a driving range several times and then gets brave enough to play a real course, then you buy clubs...maybe second hand becasue your still not sure..you start to hit some decent shots and the crack gets sent to the brain when you do and you want to feel that again, so you play and you hit 120 bad shots and then comes the one good one..ahhhh que lindo. Now you decide you need that high nore often and you start shelling out money! Thats the road most traveled, the road less traveled I would think would be to buy a house on a Fazio course for a imillion plus and then what the hell whats another fifty thousand for a membership and 2,000 for clubs, it happens but not the road most traveled. and for the record, I think most of his courses are great!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back