News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Sander

Hello all,

I wanted to see who would be interested in another October GCA round at one of the area's public courses. Last year, 16 of us headed out to The Highlands of Elgin and had a great time ( http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,46100.0.html ). The venue is still up in the air,  but some suggestions have been Shepherd's Crook, Ravisloe, Pine Meadow, a return to The Highlands, and L&M's Spring Valley. It will probably come down to who can accomodate a similar sized group with advanced notice.

The date we are currently looking at is Sunday Oct. 23rd. We'll probably shoot for four groups again and if bookend times are available we could add more. If you are interested, please either reply to the thread, or send me a GCA PM. Also, if anyone has any course preferences feel free to post those thoughts as well. Thanks...

Matt
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 09:39:23 AM by Matthew Sander »

PCCraig

Re: Chicago GCAers - Another fall get together (Oct. 23)?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 11:37:09 AM »
Hello all,

I wanted to see who would be interested in another October GCA round at one of the area's public courses. Last year, 16 of us headed out to The Highlands of Elgin and had a great time ( http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,46100.0.html ). The venue is still up in air,  but some suggestions have been Shepherd's Crook, Ravisloe, Pine Meadow, a return to The Highlands, and L&M's Spring Valley. It will probably come down to who can accomodate a similar sized group with advanced notice.

The date we are currently looking at is Sunday Oct. 23rd. We'll probably shoot for four groups again and if bookend times are available we could add more. If you are interested, please either reply to the thread, or send me a GCA PM. Also, if anyone has any course preferences feel free to post those thoughts as well. Thanks...

Matt

Bummer, wish I could as last year's get together was a lot of fun!
H.P.S.

Michael Baldwin

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 12:07:07 PM »
Matt,

Count me in.  My vote is for Spring Valley – I’ve had it on my list for a while.

Thanks for getting this together.

Zack Molnar

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 12:32:35 PM »
Wish i could make it this year, but I will be out of town. All those courses are still on my Chicago list, so hopefully we can do a spring outing next year.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 12:36:31 PM »
Matt, as we discussed off-line, I am available on the 23rd and would definitely enjoy driving back up to Salem for another crack at Spring Valley. I can't imagine that we'd have any difficulty securing some tee times there mid-morning.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 12:52:12 PM »
I'm in, and I'll play wherever. 

Jud_T

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 01:23:30 PM »
In.  Love Spring Valley but may be a bit chilly then.  Ravisloe?  Warren Course?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Howard Riefs

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 01:39:06 PM »
I'm in. I'd vote for Ravisloe. I'd advise against Pine Meadow as the greens unfortunately weren't in great shape when I played it last month.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Matthew Sander

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 03:42:24 PM »
A little update...

I think we're settling on Oct. 23 barring any unforseen happenings. I've received several responses each for Ravisloe, Spring Valley, and Shepherd's Crook. I've contacted all three and they would all be able to take advanced tee times for a group our size. If you haven't done so, please feel free to post any course preferences or send me a PM. I'll wait a few more days and go with what has been the most popular choice...

So far the ins are:

Howard Riefs
Jud Tigerman (+1)
Bill Seitz
Mark Smolens
Michael Baldwin
Sven Nilsen (+2)
Steve Salmen
Matt Sander

There a few others who have said maybe depending on date and course. If anyone else is interested please let me know. We should have plenty of room and at this point can make as many tee times as we need...thanks...

Matt
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 02:40:57 PM by Matthew Sander »

Ken Fry

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 05:23:34 PM »
I'd like to be in but keep me posted on the venue.  Ravisloe could work for me but anything north of downtown Chicago gets too tough to make it from Northern Indiana.  Thanks guys!

Ken

Phil McDade

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 09:24:15 AM »
In.  Love Spring Valley but may be a bit chilly then.  Ravisloe? 

...because the weather is so much different two miles north of the Wisconsin-Illinois border than the south side of Chicago... ;D ???

I'd vote for Spring Valley, because it's nearer for me, and would love to join the gang. Maybe not a great course, but a fun one with some great holes. My next choices would be Shepherd's Crook -- which has excellent fall conditioning, from GCA correspondent reports, and I could maybe swing a trip to Ravisloe.

Steve Salmen

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 09:56:40 AM »
I'm in.  Doesn't matter where.  Thanks for the invite.

Chris Flamion

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 07:07:14 PM »
The 23rd is one of the few days I'm available.

I'm in. Don't care where

Jud_T

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 06:21:58 AM »
Phil,

It could easily be 45 at Spring Valley and 50 at the Rav. 
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mark Smolens

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 10:55:08 AM »
Has anyone been to Ravisloe lately? We were there with Weekly Challenge in August, and the conditions were pathetic. Greens were slow, bumpy, and many bare patches. Rough was full of weeds (I know, you're not supposed to hit it the rough). Fairways filled with unrepaired divots.

If the desire is to stay south, there has to be a better alternative. Palmira, Lost Marsh, Balmoral? I'd even rather go to the souless, over-watered, faux links at Harborside than back to Rav. . .

Phil McDade

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2011, 12:41:33 PM »
Phil,

It could easily be 45 at Spring Valley and 50 at the Rav. 

Very good! ;D

Phil McDade

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2011, 12:44:23 PM »
Has anyone been to Ravisloe lately? We were there with Weekly Challenge in August, and the conditions were pathetic. Greens were slow, bumpy, and many bare patches. Rough was full of weeds (I know, you're not supposed to hit it the rough). Fairways filled with unrepaired divots.

If the desire is to stay south, there has to be a better alternative. Palmira, Lost Marsh, Balmoral? I'd even rather go to the souless, over-watered, faux links at Harborside than back to Rav. . .

I'd have to say that the last time there was a mini-GCA get-together at Spring Valley in the fall, the course played really quite fast & firm --faster and firmer than Lawsonia. Spring Valley is no doubt a bit (well, maybe more than a bit...) rough around the edges, but I've rarely played it and thought it was a soggy experience. They keep that place running pretty quick most of the time, and we've still had a pretty dry fall around here.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 02:11:06 PM by Phil McDade »

PThomas

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2011, 06:54:14 PM »
my daughter will be in from college , so i am a maybe right now

thx for organizing
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Matthew Sander

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2011, 11:53:11 AM »
Hello all,

Another updated list of ins for the 23rd...

Howard Riefs
Jud Tigerman (+1)
Bill Seitz
Mark Smolens
Michael Baldwin
Sven Nilsen (+2)
Steve Salmen
Chris Flamion
Phil McDade
Matt Sander

Is everyone OK with Shepherd's Crook? I've also received some suggestions for 36 between SC and Spring Valley. Are there any takers for 36? Since it is later in the year, we'll have to get started fairly early in the morning to get both rounds in, but I can book morning and early afternoon times at either course. Just let me know...

I'm going to book 4 tee times so if anyone else is interested, we have plenty of room...thanks...

Matt
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 03:31:47 PM by Matthew Sander »

Howard Riefs

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2011, 12:02:15 PM »
Matt,

Either 18 at SC or 36 at SC and SV work for me.  If it's the latter, we aim for a Seitz trifecta:

Howard, a friend of mine and I did the trifecta earlier this year.  Shepherd's Crook in the morning, Spring Valley in the afternoon, and Mars' Cheese Castle for beer and brats afterward.  They're fully stocked with New Glarus as well.  It's also nice that Wisconsin allows mixed six-packs. 
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Jud_T

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2011, 12:03:49 PM »
SC is great, preferably late morning, early afternoon. could be 65 or 40 out...

Bill Seitz

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2011, 04:35:12 PM »
Matt,

Either 18 at SC or 36 at SC and SV work for me.  If it's the latter, we aim for a Seitz trifecta:

Howard, a friend of mine and I did the trifecta earlier this year.  Shepherd's Crook in the morning, Spring Valley in the afternoon, and Mars' Cheese Castle for beer and brats afterward.  They're fully stocked with New Glarus as well.  It's also nice that Wisconsin allows mixed six-packs. 

I'm running low on beer, so if we head up north, I'll be making a New Glarus run either way.  I could do 36 if the weather allows it. 

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2011, 02:40:11 PM »
watch out for illinois #45, he goes for the nuts

Mark Smolens

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2011, 04:00:57 PM »
I'm in, but if it's cold I'm bringing a cover and a heater and taking a cart  :D

Matthew Sander

Re: Chicago GCAers - Another fall get together (Oct. 23)
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2011, 05:39:00 PM »
After receiving several responses on the board and via PM, I think we'll stick with one round at Shepherd's Crook. I'll be calling tomorrow to reserve four tee times (I think we'll start around 11:00 or so to give the day a chance to warm up). We do have room for more, so if anyone is interested, please let me know via this thread or PM...thanks...

Matt

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back