News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

This is what is and should be happening between GCAers along with sharing a passion for architecture.  I see loads of comaraderie involving members of this club, but in recent weeks there have been such severe personal insults on the Pine Valley thread that I feel embarrased to be associated with the club.  This sort of behaviour in a public forum should in no way, shape or form be tolerated.  The main chap spewing the vitriol must understand that his lack of decorum is unbecoming, but for some reason, I can only surmise a lack of respect for fellow members, he chooses to ignore what surely must be his better instincts.  While I can understand a certain apathy to do with oft repeated outrageous behaviour, is there no collective will to at least try and put an end to this ceaseless and senseless conduct?  If there is a collective will to do something, what should that something be?  One suggestion may be to genuinely look upon board members as club members and embrace what that means from individual and collective perspectives. 

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

DMoriarty

Re: "Much Genial Slagging Going On..." - Ace McBride 28 September 2011
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 07:36:05 PM »
Tommy Mac

You can't be as much a knucklehead as your posts suggest.  It may be best to set your books and magazines down and actually read what you write.

Ciao

Tommy Mac

Are you not surprised at receiving a sharp word when you act in an obtuse manner?

No wonder folks get frustrated dealing with you.  Where did I ever state that Fowler was a penal architect?  Its just made up nonsense on your part designed to hammer home some black or white truth which in reality didn't and doesn't exist.  Because Colt, Fowler, Simpson, Mackenzie, Darwin, and Hutchinson all advocated the use of the cross-hazard it is automatically considered strategic?  These folks were from a strategic schoool of thinking. That means they all believed in strategic design as a general framework, not that they designed exclusively strategic holes.

You obviously don't understand the concept that centreline hazards present more options than cross hazards and are thus more strategic in their nature and that any hazard designed to force a player to play a certain shot is more on the penal side of the spectrum.  Its not a judgement on the value of the architecture, merely a way to easily categorize architecture so we can more easily convey ideas.  This is basic stuff Tommy Mac.  Instead you go on about the depth of a bunker being penal????  "Penal" used in this way is interchangeable with "harsh", or "difficult".  It as nothing to do with penal (which isn't interchangeable with "difficult") architecture.  You are so caught up in the black VS white of this sort of stuff that you miss the big picture.  

Ciao    

Heavy sigh Tommy Mac.  
[Another long, condescending lecture on what Sean terms "GCA 101,"  "GCA 102," "GCA 102," etc. omitted]
If you need more lessons in basic gca from me, we can discuss financial terms off-line.

Ciao

"Chaps" in glass houses . . .
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Mac Plumart

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 07:50:41 PM »
Sean,

I'm clueless regarding the behavior you mention.  Certain topics with certain contributors only lead down a specific (not good) road.  I choose to simply avoid them as I long was turned off by them.  Not to mention deliberatley misleading information posted on them.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 11:35:59 PM »

Sean,

I agree with your sentiments. 

Unfortunately a virtual internet club seems to be unlike any other real world club and the mores that would go with real life clubs.

The only solution I can think of would be for Ran to post some code of behaviour and then enforce it with suspensions.  Sort of like a 5 minute major for unsportsmanlike behavior in hockey.  One other way to reduce the noise would be if the slagee, or other participants, were to just ignore anything and everything the slagger has to say.  Isolate him/them in a cone of silence.  It would get boring for the slagger after a while if no one ever responded to the slagger.  Regrettably the slagger and slagee often exchange roles and all seem to think they can get in the last word.

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 04:09:10 AM »
Bryan

5 minute major - not with with axe man Shanny on duty!

Yes, sending someone to Coventry would be ideal if folks had the will power to see it through, but as you suggest, egos are too much in play. 

David

You can either be part of a solution or not.  Making ridiculous comparisons between my behaviour and yours as a defense would seem to indicate an unwillingness to be part of a solution. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 04:20:29 AM »
Sean,

Indeed 10 games seems about to be the norm.  But, then the local columnists here are suggesting Shanny isn't going to last that long.  They seem to think the GM's are going to conspire to fire him.

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 05:11:16 AM »
Bryan

I have heard the same scuttlebutt.  It is my opinion that if Shanny goes it will be because he wants to go (and that may be due to a lack of support).  I would be amazed if he disappeared before the end of the year as the proof of his appoach should be measured in the reduction of serious injuries and more specifically concussions.  As a guy who has always despised goon hockey I am all for the harsh suspensions.  On the other hand, with the general speed of the game improving in recent years and with more and more players with an ability to move the puck in creative ways, I do think a strong onus in any given situation has to be placed on the puck carrier to learn to defend himself.  We all love to see skill on the puck, but unfortunately these moves often leave players vulnerable to physical play in open ice in which it is next to impossible for a late man back defender to line a guy up.  Often times these hits are not cheap shots, but are sometimes just as dangerous as boarding, elbowing and charging.  Hopefully, partisanship can remain a sideline issue and the focus will remain on keeping the players the fans want to see on the ice. 

Ciao     

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 05:15:00 AM »
It is sad that DG members act in such a derogatory manner towards each others opinion or interpretation of history. The vast majority should have no link with either the rambling argumentative posts or indeed other posts where the contributor may have a sensible, valid and well thought out viewpoint.

I say this because you wouldn't play with a lout because he is a good player or drink with him afterwards.

I am not against reasoned debate but as soon as people slag each other off the do a massive injustice to 1495 other DG members.
Cave Nil Vino

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 06:14:15 AM »

David

You can either be part of a solution or not.  Making ridiculous comparisons between my behaviour and yours as a defense would seem to indicate an unwillingness to be part of a solution.  

Ciao

In the classic 10 round test of GCA.com, I will take 9 of Sean Arble's unique photo essays of unique quirky English courses that I probably won't get to see in my lifetime versus 1 of David's measurement essays and historical speculation of two courses located near Philadelphia that I have been lucky enough to see more than a few times.

I like the pictures in both sets of essays, but the Cain and Abel routine is really old. In the spirit of the Jewish New Year (Rosh Hashanah) maybe THIS will be the post that brings us allllll together!!

Cain leads Abel to death, by James Tissot.
  ;)

JMEvensky

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 03:34:42 PM »

I like the pictures in both sets of essays, but the Cain and Abel routine is really old. In the spirit of the Jewish New Year (Rosh Hashanah) maybe THIS will be the post that brings us allllll together!!

Cain leads Abel to death, by James Tissot.
  ;)

Maybe you should have waited until next Saturday to post this--Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement).

Mike Cirba

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 04:00:46 PM »
Look...if I thought that my leaving this site would end this abysmal behavior, I'd do it this second.

If Ran feels I'm culpable, or that my leaving would help end this mess, then he should remove me.

But, a LOT of other and better and more knowledgeable people have left the site prior to me because of this type of nonsense, and yet it continues on unabated, as long as anyone dares contest their viewpoint or attempts to redefine history.

Watch...I'll leave for the next month on my own accord...frankly, getting insulted personally on a public website every single day isn't exactly my idea of a good or beneficial use of my time.  

But just watch how the Jim Sullivan's, and the Brian Izatt's, and the Sean Arble's, and the Jeff Brauer's are treated when they dare disagree...if you don't believe me then read the last page or two of the Pine Valley thread as it's started already.

The names will change, but the place will remain the same.

See you all in a month or so.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 04:02:26 PM by MCirba »

DMoriarty

Re: "Much Genial Slagging Going On..." - Ace McBride 28 September 2011 New
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 06:56:21 PM »
Good idea.  See you in a month. 

Wait ... Whoops.  What is that on the PV thread?

For the record, Mike couldn't even make it two hours without posting.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 07:00:12 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back