News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bart Bradley

last minute invite to The Olde Farm
« on: September 28, 2011, 04:34:22 PM »
My schedule has just opened up for a round at The Olde Farm this FRIDAY September 30th in the morning. Anyone interested? Send me a PM.

Bart ;D

Bart Bradley

Re: last minute invite to The Olde Farm
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 10:06:28 PM »
I have one taker  :D so far.  We are going to meet at 900am!  Anyone else want to come? 

Bart

ChipRoyce

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 11:28:13 AM »
Bart -
Very kind of you to extend the invite - I'm down in Raleigh and was pleasantly surprised that its only 4 hrs to your location (hop skip and jump by our standards).
Unfortunately, couldn't clear my schedule this time.
Thanks again!
Chip

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 11:54:09 AM »
Mr. Bradley--

Wonderful invitation; PM sent!

--Tim Gavrich
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Brian Ross

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 01:19:39 PM »
Argh!  Wish I had seen this earlier.  Can't do it this week, unfortunately.  Next time!
Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in.

http://www.rossgolfarchitects.com

Bart Bradley

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 01:55:09 PM »
Mr. Bradley--

Wonderful invitation; PM sent!

--Tim Gavrich

Tim:

You are in.  See PM.

Brian:

Sorry.  Will keep trying.

Bart

Bart Bradley

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 04:55:09 PM »
I have a full group for tomorrow  8).  I am sorry if you missed out this time.  I will try again in the future. 

Have a great day.

Bart

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 04:57:13 PM »
Kind invite, Bart.  I do love The Olde Farm.

WW

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 02:39:18 PM »
Many thanks to Bart for hosting us on Friday.  It was a great time on a great course.  I was happy to finally put some unfamiliar faces on some very familiar names.  Bart was a gracious and patient host.  Tim Gavrich and Mike Hendren were great to play with.  I hope I can return the favor someday! 

I got some great ideas for lighting our lawn and building an outdoor firepit/fireplace.  Unfortunately, experiencing the fireplace was not voluntary since I almost had to hit out of it after my wayward tee shot on #10.  The “long barn” concept is one of the coolest things I’ve seen on a golf course in a while.  Greens running 13 were awesome as well.

Love GCA.com for making days like this possible....  Thanks again Bart!

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 07:07:41 PM »
Let me second this note of gratitude and appreciation.  It's always wonderful to meet fellow GCAers, especially those who are as knowledgeable as Dr. Bradley, Mr. Hendren, and Mr. Wolfe.  I was by far the GCA luddite of the group, and it was wonderful hearing their perspectives on The Olde Farm and a number of other courses as well.

And I second the admiration for the Long Barn.  A nice touch for sure.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Bart Bradley

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 07:23:02 PM »
There is nothing more fun than sharing your golf course with nice people.  Accordingly, I had a blast on Friday.  For those who didn't make it this time, I will try again soon.

Best,

Bart ;D

Mike Hendren

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 10:06:51 AM »
When Bart's next invitation drops, don't think twice.  A very neat club and among the best conditioned courses I've played.  The setting is sublime and the incorporation of farm elements such as the barn, pavilion and fence rows enhance the experience.  Bart, Roger and Tim were indeed delightful partners who enjoyed their golf but didn't take themselves too seriously - my kind of guys.

Now for the architecture.  Having only played Bobby Weed's Glen Mills I was looking forward to seeing the golf course.  Generally, the course is expansive with plenty of room off the tee.  The green sizes are generally large, accessible by ground and feature significant movement.  While a modern course, it has somewhat of a throwback feel (notably the opening hole) as par is best defended on and around the greens.  There are generous and sensible chipping areas that invite indecision.  Local knowledge is paramount as the ball tends to migrate away from the hole even when the approach is well struck, leaving the potential for a three-putt bogey given the movement in the greens and their extreme speeds.  While a delight to putt, the combination of the contours and speed is arguably over the top at times as some putts simply could not be nestled close to the hole.  I think each of us de-greened at least once.  This does, however contribute to the course's defense as one simply must remain below the hole.  In that sense, I'd say this is a second shot golf course (or approach for one and three shotters).  

The course plays firm and fast.  For example, Bart used a putter for his second at the 331 yards 5th hole to roll his ball down into the punchbowl green.  Fun stuff.  

Weed also makes excellent use of angled greens, placing an emphasis on club selection and distance control which can vary by one to two clubs from the same distance depending upon hole location.  

My favorite holes were the first and 6th.  The latter is a one-shotter with the green set hard against the long barn.  The right side of the green is perfectly straight and parallel to the barn, running from 11 to 5 o'clock from the tee.  The left green edge is narrow at the front and widens arbitrarily to the rear.  This shape and the green's depth yield great elasticity for distance and hole placement.  Than again, all hillbillies are a sucker for a nice barn.  

This course could be a real brute in competition and could host a professional or top amateur tournament tomorrow.  At the same time, it won't beat up the middle handicapper when played from the appropriate set of tees.  High praise.

Thanks again, Bart, Tim and Roger.  

Bogey

« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 10:10:24 AM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Eric Smith

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 03:23:08 PM »
Anyone have the sliders? Yum. I love The Olde Farm and am glad to see more GCAers having the opportunity to experience it through Bart's generous invitations. These sort of things are truly one of the hallmarks of this site and I'd just like to say thanks again to Bart for sharing his club in this way. Thanks Bart!

Michael George

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 03:45:47 PM »

Eric:

The only thing this site needs is an ombudsman to negotiate with my wife when great invitations like this are extended.  I do my best with her, but could certainly use some help. I doubt there are any takers for that position.

"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Eric Smith

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 04:50:58 PM »
MG,

I nominate Ron Csigo. His celebrity caused my wife to allow me to go on multiple trips with him this year. Try him out.

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 09:09:13 AM »
Let me second this note of gratitude and appreciation.  It's always wonderful to meet fellow GCAers, especially those who are as knowledgeable as Dr. Bradley, Mr. Hendren, and Mr. Wolfe.  I was by far the GCA luddite of the group, and it was wonderful hearing their perspectives on The Olde Farm and a number of other courses as well.

And I second the admiration for the Long Barn.  A nice touch for sure.

For those, like me, who had to look this up...

Ludd·ite noun \ˈlə-ˌdīt\[/b]:
one of a group of early 19th century English workmen destroying laborsaving machinery as a protest; broadly : one who is opposed to especially technological change

Perfect adjective to describe the folks on this site.  Little did I know I played on Friday with a gentleman and a scholar.  Well done Tim!

Ron Csigo

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 12:28:04 PM »
MG,

I nominate Ron Csigo. His celebrity caused my wife to allow me to go on multiple trips with him this year. Try him out.

It's amazing how a pair of show tickets will change a woman's perspective.  Anyway, I would be happy to help.  Anyone interested, shoot me a PM.  
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 12:59:16 PM by Ron Csigo »
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2011, 01:03:40 PM »

Perfect adjective to describe the folks on this site.  Little did I know I played on Friday with a gentleman and a scholar.  Well done Tim!

I was flattered until I realized both references were for Tim!

See you at Dixie Cup.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back