News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dean Stokes

Bandon trip
« on: September 29, 2011, 04:27:34 PM »
Well gents, I am officially in Oregon for my first visit.....weather unreal (80 and not a cloud in the sky). Just finished Pacific Dunes.....Old Mac in 30 mins. Hard to explain how much fun this morning was. More to follow and I hope I can get my pictures downloaded on here at some stage. Magnificent. Bye.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

JLahrman

Re: Bandon trip
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 04:35:49 PM »
Why are you posting on the internet?  Plenty of time for that after you leave.  Have fun.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 04:42:49 PM »
It's hard to top the first visit, but for me the second, third and fourth were just as awesome.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Dean Stokes

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 11:10:18 PM »
Just finished Old Mac.......day one in the books. Pacific Dunes 1 - Old McDonald 0. Not close for most of us. Tomorrow am is Bandon Dunes and the pm is Bandon Trails.........what a great facility with wonderful service. Looking forward to the Trails personally which on many occasions has been touted as the best to me.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Dean Stokes

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 08:26:26 AM »
Day 3 coming up......all four courses now played-all four seasons experienced! I had heard/read how good this place was and it was hard to believe but now I am a believer. The courses are excellent, the service/staff are all cheerful and attentive our caddies have been knowledgeable/keen/fun/professional.
We played Bandon Dunes and Trails yesterday and what a day it was. Two totally different courses, both a treat. I have never played Pebble but I cannot see it being any better than standing on 16/17 of Bandon Dunes. We sat at dinner last night and ranked the courses as we liked them. Results varied. One more day......Old Mac again this morning which I am looking forward to seeing again, possibly in some wind. Hopefully pictures to come!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 12:51:55 PM »
You could have been in England, temps still in the low 80s, today was a record for October.
Cave Nil Vino

Bill McKinley

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 02:48:09 PM »
Trip sounds awesome!  Can't wait to go there myself
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 12:22:57 AM »
Dean

Can one be "unofficially" in Bandon ?  :)

Seriously - would look forward to hearing more detailed thoughts on the courses once you've had the chance to review your trip.

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 08:25:26 AM »
Dean

Can one be "unofficially" in Bandon ?  :)

Seriously - would look forward to hearing more detailed thoughts on the courses once you've had the chance to review your trip.

I was unoffically in Bandon a couple of weeks ago and have the photos to prove it. Here are links:

http://sports.webshots.com/album/580920075LiCaZR   Old Mac

http://sports.webshots.com/album/580919994vDLOkZ  Trails

http://sports.webshots.com/album/580918935FJoanV  Pacific

http://sports.webshots.com/album/580919773YqmOjH  Bandon Dunes

« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 08:32:21 AM by Stewart Abramson »

Dean Stokes

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 10:28:20 AM »
Great photos Stewart. That saves me a job! We are finished......got a good soaking at Old Mac yesterday but still enjoyed. The whole trip is just a golfers delight. I am going to let it all sink in and think back through the golf. At this time I am fairly sure Bandon Dunes is #1 however. I just wish it was a little closer and I would already be planning another trip.

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 02:45:29 PM »
I just wish it was a little closer and I would already be planning another trip.

You read my mind.

Bill Satterfield

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 10:38:40 AM »
So how would you rank the four courses at Bandon?  I'm getting ready to go back for the first time since 2004 and am anxious to see how Old Mac and Trails weigh in; I've also played over 300 new courses since visiting Pac and BD and am excited to renew how I feel about them.  Over the past week I've talked to two guys about Bandon and asked them to rate them.  Here is what I got:

1.  Bandon Trails, Bandon Dunes, Pacific Dunes, Old Mac
2.  Old Mac, Pacific Dunes, Bandon Dunes, and Bandon Trails

It never ceases to amaze me the differences of opinion at this destination.  Pacific seems to get more #1 from the people I've talked to than the others, but not by a landslide.

Michael Hayes

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 11:05:53 AM »
I am involved in an annual trip to bandon that has been going on for 8 years, last year we had 32 players, most of which had 10+ rounds of experience on BD and PD, 5+ rounds on BT and 2 rounds on OM.  I polled the group and the Ranking was as follows...

BD barely topped PD, with BT and OM in 3 and 4.  Every course had a first place vote, PD was never voted out of the top 2...

Michael
Bandonistas Unite!!!

Jud_T

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 11:18:02 AM »
Aside from name recognition and blazing the trail, I'd love to hear the rationale for BD being #1.  Most single digit players I know prefer BT and most everyone else PD (I know we've been down this road, but at least it ain't another Dismal thread  ;)).
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 11:21:54 AM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Michael George

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 11:31:13 AM »

Having just come back from there, ranking the courses, while fun, is next to impossible.  All 4 are so good that you are picking hairs when you distinguish between them.  Also, they are so different that each has its strengths.   

If I had to play 1 course every day, it may be Bandon Dunes, as I think it is more forgiving then the other courses.  You can miss shots and not get killed.

If I could go back and only play 1 course, it would be Pacific Dunes.  There really is not a bad hole and it requires you to hit good shots. 

The most unique golf experience there is Old MacDonald (unless you play NGLA frequently).  It just has some really fun golf shots - I want to play #7 again more than I want to play any other hole at the resort).  I really loved playing 3, 7, 8, 12, 14, 15, 16 and 18.  Just fun golf.

The best test of golf is probably Bandon Trails.  It really rewards good shots and punishes bad ones.  Wind is usually not as much of a factor.  However, as someone in my group said - BT is a great golf course but I can find comparable courses in the midwest.  I cannot get the other 3 anywhere close to where I live.
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Kalen Braley

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 12:42:00 PM »
Michael,

Interesting comments on Bandon in general.  I'm curious which courses are comparable to BT in the Mid-West?

Thanks in advance,

Kalen

Michael George

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 01:25:42 PM »

Kalen:

It was a generic remark by someone in my group.  I did not say it.  I referenced it due to the course not being on the cliffside of the Pacific.  The Pacific Ocean is a pretty nice feature on a golf course that you don't get in the midwest.   

However, based on comments made here, I would guess that Bandon Trails is similar to the links like courses in the Nebraska and Colorado sandhills.   
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Kalen Braley

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 01:35:57 PM »

Kalen:

It was a generic remark by someone in my group.  I did not say it.  I referenced it due to the course not being on the cliffside of the Pacific.  The Pacific Ocean is a pretty nice feature on a golf course that you don't get in the midwest.   

However, based on comments made here, I would guess that Bandon Trails is similar to the links like courses in the Nebraska and Colorado sandhills.   

Thanks Michael,

BT looks awesome, as I've yet to play it...so I was interested what else out West would be comparable as well to give a play.

Kalen

Dean Stokes

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 08:15:00 AM »
We played all the courses and Old Mac twice. My favorites In order would be Bandon Dunes, Pacific Dunes, Bandon Trails, Old MacDonald. When I have more time I may explain my reasoning(there are so many holes to remember!)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back