News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

When do you know it is time to resign from a club?
« on: September 25, 2011, 12:23:44 AM »
I have resigned from many a club. The last was when I moved close to a club where I was a national member. I asked them what my options were and they told me that to not tell anyone that I had moved would work best. I resigned on that call. Then their greens died. I'm sorry but that made me very happy. I have a few other examples but I'm on an iPad and had a few of the same. Elmer T. Lee to be exact, highly recommended. So, when is it time to drop a membership?

Duncan Cheslett

Re: When do you know it is time to resign from a club?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 04:15:37 AM »
When no-one puts their name next to yours on the competition rota?

When you walk into the bar and no-one acknowledges your presence?

;D

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 06:01:08 AM »

When I look into a mirror in the changing rooms and see John Kavanaugh looking back at me. It's not just a new club but a new life I would be seeking. ;)

Melvyn

Joe Bausch

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 06:28:11 AM »
I joined a club about 12 years ago when five of my golfing buds from school did at the same time.  As clubs go, the investment was very cheap.

But when these same friends all decide to resign from the club after two years and go back to a local muni, I joined them.  It was a combination of things to not renew for a third year, with travel time being more than 30 minutes to the club, and, quite frankly, my friends found the course too difficult and penal with many holes lined with evergreen trees that were not limbed up even a few feet.

But the club atmosphere was also not quite in phase with us.  The straw that broke the camel's back came when one of my member friends called me late Saturday morning from the club, asking if I wanted to play with him.  He knew I had a work obligation late the previous night, and I had not planned on playing until that afternoon (and I could avoid the darn mandatory weekend cart fee!).  But I knew my friend wanted a game so I jumped in the car and was out with him on the first tee within an hour.  Of course, on the first tee I asked him why he didn't join a group earlier.  All were foursomes he saw as he stroked some putts and chips, except for one threesome.  When he inquired if he could join the group, they said 'no'.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 11:37:52 AM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Jud_T

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 07:25:49 AM »
When you tire of the course and/or the dues bill...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mark Johnson

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 12:50:47 PM »
where there are major maintainence issues and noone cares.

JMEvensky

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 01:28:07 PM »

How about major maintenance issues caused by practices instituted by the Green Committee?

Tim Martin

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 03:05:23 PM »
When you start trying to figure out what the per round cost is it`s time to walk away. Additionally when there is a men`s locker room project aspiring to change the perfectly fine lockers that were replaced just five years ago to teak wood imported from Burma run don`t walk to the exits and draft your letter of resignation. Payment for said project will be in the form of an assessment near the bottom of your bill for the next 16 quarters under "House Improvment".
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 04:05:20 PM by Tim Martin »

Sev K-H Keil

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 03:58:58 PM »
If you haven't played a course in 2 or more years AND have no desire / plans to go back in the foreseeable future...

Jud_T

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 04:16:54 PM »
When you get a GCA clue and realize that the course you once thought was the money is really an overpriced, overwatered, overmanacured dogtrack with a ton of money wasted on faux gourmet food, a huge clubhouse, and an overabundance of service that has nothing to do with golf?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 04:28:54 PM »
When you get too old and lame, when you need a driver to reach a couple of the three pars with a driver, when the guys you played with for nearly forty years are all dead, when the annual minimum Dining Room fees are three times the annual cost of dues when you joined and not one resident working guy in town can afford to join.

Bob

Ben Sims

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 04:46:44 PM »
...and not one resident working guy in town can afford to join.

Bob

And people wonder why many private club memberships are on the fritz.  The FIRST thing I checked on when deciding to join a club was how healthy the local membership was vs. the national membership.  Twice a year types don't carry a golf club. 

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 05:32:46 PM »

How about major maintenance issues caused by practices instituted by the Green Committee?

This is what caused me to resign.  This classic course was being modernized out of existance by a bad / rogue superintendent and everytime I went out there I was pissed off.  Then I would get my monthly bill so I voted with my checkbook.

My kids miss going out to some of the functions and family dinners but I figure I have saved $20,000.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 06:11:25 PM »
When you have your daughter on the weekends and she is four.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 06:21:19 PM »
When the Green Chairman anounces the motto for this year is "Soft and True" true story.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2011, 06:47:54 PM »
If you haven't played a course in 2 or more years AND have no desire / plans to go back in the foreseeable future...

Or... when you ask your wife to book something at the club so you can entertain a group of guests and she informs you that she stopped paying the dues four years ago!!!   ;D ;D ;D

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2011, 07:18:25 PM »

Funny story.  A few years ago, when Martha Burke was battling Augusta, her group published the name of every member at Augusta and asked people to call the members to complain.

A guy I knew pretty well at the time finds out that one of his best childhood friends is a member.  So he calls him up and berates him that he is a member at ANGC and never invited him.  The member says he hasn't been there for 5 years.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2011, 09:17:32 PM »
When they accept me as a Member. lol Barny, seriously, I think it is when you do not use a club enough to justify costs or find pleasure in the time you spend there. The second is more important than the first. i never spend enough time at a club to pass the cost test if there was another vote other than mine in the house.

Tom ORourke

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2011, 10:22:27 PM »
When the board makes major bad decisions and then starts sending out notices of assessments need to cover the mistakes they just made. Followed by more assessments needed to cover the members that left after the first assessment. And when they start sending out notices to people who have resigned their memberships, but still have a bond that has not been returned because there are no new members, and start charging them assessments because, even though they are not members, they are still owners. Actually , at that point it is probably too late to leave.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2011, 10:26:49 PM »
When your back or knees prevent u from playing, or you no longer like your games, or the costs get out of control
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Jay Flemma

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2011, 10:39:30 PM »
When the Korean owner (Mr. Park) decided not to put any money into maintaining the golf course at all (Crestwood) and it because an infestation of weeds.

He got his just deserts this year, though.  The EPA showed up and complained that he had to do something to clean up the ponds and creek.  He tried to tell them, "I'll get to it when I get to it."  They promptly told him, you'll get to it now, or we'll shut you down and fine you back Korea, pal.  He got to it all right.  Since he bought the course in the late '80s, he's lost nearly every member in the joint and it went from a great private club to a $20 public goat track with no one on it but beginners.  Shame...it was 7000 yards and terrific in the '80s before he bought it and ran it into the ground like the dictator he is.

He won't even sell the course.  I know several people that wanted to buy it, but he won't budge.  We're waiting for him to die so we can buy it from his poor son, who cuts the grass, runs the pro shop and takes all the heat for his father.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,40394.msg849346/topicseen.html#msg849346
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 10:48:19 PM by Jay Flemma »
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2011, 06:33:11 AM »
Sounds along the same lines as The Addington became over the years.
Cave Nil Vino

Mike McGuire

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2011, 10:26:47 AM »
When only one person signs up for the Senior Club Championship.

David Cronheim

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2011, 10:34:13 AM »

I think that'd be a reason to stay, Mr. Senior Club Champion.
Check out my golf law blog - Tee, Esq.

JMEvensky

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2011, 10:35:33 AM »

Our place is just the opposite.The "competitive" players are the older members--it's the newer members who have no interest in the Club Championship.

I'd be curious which of our clubs has the more common breakdown of younger/older competitive guys.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back