News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: What course is The Holy Grail of access?
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2011, 12:14:18 PM »
Honestly...

The course that intrigues me the most at the moment is NGLA.  Sure Augusta would be nice and all, but from what I've seen of pics, NGLA seems to be in its own category.

Phil McDade

« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2011, 12:19:57 PM »
Kalen:

I'd probably take NGLA 7 rounds to 3 over Augusta National, purely as a matter of golf. But even I've been invited, in a roundabout way, to play NGLA through proper manners and procedure and all that. I don't even know anyone who's been invited to play Augusta National, aside of the few folks who have posted about it here.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 06:14:44 PM by Phil McDade »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2011, 12:21:25 PM »
Kalen:

I'd probably take NGLA 7 rounds to 3 over Augusta National, purely as a matter of golf. But even I've been invited, in a roundabout way, to play NGLA through proper ettique and procedure and all that. I don't even know anyone who's been invited to play Augusta National, aside of the few folks who have posted about it here.

Phil,

Its good to be you my man!!   ;D

As a reference point, I've only played 1 course East of the Mississippi River....unless you go far east to India!!

Dave Falkner

« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2011, 12:57:08 PM »
I would have to agree  being asked to join one of the clubs at St Andrews  would be the shit 

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2011, 02:09:49 PM »
When I saw the title of this thread, I almost didn't bother to read it, because I assumed Pine Valley would be mentioned in almost every post. Not so.

I guess anyone can get on there.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Sean Leary

« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2011, 02:16:40 PM »
When I saw the title of this thread, I almost didn't bother to read it, because I assumed Pine Valley would be mentioned in almost every post. Not so.

I was shocked when I found out how many members they have (over 1200 as of a few years ago). Mostly non local members that bring a group with them when they go, so there is at least a bigger number to start with from an invite perspective.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2011, 02:20:47 PM »

If you look at the Top 25 Courses played thread, it seems like PV is on at least half of them.  I was/am amazed.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 02:49:18 PM by Mark Saltzman »

Jim Jackson

« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2011, 02:48:21 PM »
Besides the ones already mentioned, Peachtree anyone?

George Pazin

« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2011, 03:12:01 PM »
No golf course is.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tim Pitner

« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2011, 03:36:29 PM »
What about Fishers Island or Newport?

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2011, 03:43:44 PM »
Jim,
I have always been intirigued by Peachtree. I know people in Atlanta that have either  never heard of it, or don't know where it is.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2011, 04:25:35 PM »
I think the reason so many people have played PV is the members are playing golfers and they are encouraged to bring guests.

ANGC is strange as I must know a dozen Deal members who've played there and probably the same again who aren't members. As far as I'm aware we do not have a member in our ranks.

Brits who've played Chicago, Seminole, CPC and National are harder to find.
Cave Nil Vino

Robert Thompson

« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2011, 04:48:12 PM »
I've played Magog.

And I found a ball last year at Goodwood near Toronto with the Domaine logo. At that point Goodwood, which still has no members and is invite only, had 500 rounds played over three years.

The two that come to mind that I do not recall anyone from here bringing up that they have played are

Domaine LaForest & Memphremagog

Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2011, 09:41:20 PM »
What's cool is that I get older, I care less and less about access.  Today, at 51,  it's all about the people I play with - I don't care if it the worldl-class Merion East or your typical local muni.   

jeffwarne

« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2011, 10:48:13 PM »
What's cool is that I get older, I care less and less about access.  Today, at 51,  it's all about the people I play with - I don't care if it the worldl-class Merion East or your typical local muni.   

Agreed,
and to take it a step farther, the best places to play are places where access isn't even a consideration.
Sadly, with many who play golf, ACCESS is the main consideration.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jud_T

« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2011, 09:03:36 AM »
Kingsley Club

Why beat myself up over unattainable goals?

Tim has a fine point.  Thanks to the past 20 years of GCA and the crap economy there's loads of good to great public and private golf that's accessible.  There's really only a tiny percentage of courses that are truly inaccessible to many of us.  I may make a few more notches in my bedpost before I'm done, but I'm not losing any sleep counting 'em...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2011, 10:39:05 AM »
How about the golf course on the Balmoral Estate in Scotland.  They allow one charity a year to use the course for one day.  That may be the only day of the year the course is accessible without a connection to the Royal Family.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2011, 10:49:11 AM »
The putting green at The White House.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Bill Seitz

« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2011, 10:55:09 AM »
Ullrich I bet ANGC is cheaper than the average CC in the USA, they are not exactly short on revenue streams.

Something tells me that if you're one of the lucky few who are extended invitations to join ANGC, then the fees really isn't a consideration.  Which is to say, I doubt many people have rejected an invitation to ANGC because the fees were too high.  They aren't asking too many people who can't afford it.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2011, 02:33:36 PM »
Thank goodness I live in the UK where almost every course is available for visitor play, even if there may be restrictions. Some are even available at weekends.

But as you mention Holy Grails, should we nominate Temple, Quaker Ridge, Vicar's Cross, Bishop Auckland, St George's, St Enodoc and every other saint from St Nom to San Cugat, not to mention pilgrimages to Rome, Canterbury, York, Lincoln....(don't think there's a course at Santiago de Compostella). And then there are those saints unique to Wales such as St Mellon and St Deiniol.... Plenty of scope for a very long list. 

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2011, 12:10:08 AM »
Isn't the old saying when trying to specifically write letters of introduction - that when it comes to ANGC "dont waste your stationery".

The same cannot be said for a lot of other private clubs throughout the World.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back