News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dave Falkner

Re: Which golf course architects are which musician?
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2011, 11:24:39 AM »
jay

Come stumble my mirth beaten worker
I'm Jezmund the family berzerker
I'm bought for the price of a flagon of rice
The wind buffs the cabin
You speak of your life
Or more willingly Locust the Lurker

Confuse what you can of the ending
And revise your despise so impending
'Cause I soak on the wrath
That you didn't quite mask
I'm getting it clearly through alternate paths
Or mixed in with the signal you're sending

But who can unlearn all the facts that I've learned
As I sat in their chairs and my synapses burned
And the torture of chalk dust collects on my tongue
Thoughts follow my vision and dance in the sun
All my vasoconstrictors they come slowly undone
Can't I live while I'm young?

But no peace for Jezmund tonight
I plug the distress tube up tight
And watch what I say as it flutters away
And all this emotion is kept harmless at bay
Not to educate somebody's fright

is all I need to know about phish

oh that and the parking lots full of trustafarians sucking down nitrous balloons  asking for a free ticket

Carl Rogers

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2011, 11:29:31 AM »
Who would be Mozart?

Donald Ross??

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2011, 11:46:12 AM »

Pearl Jam - Doak

Phish - Mike Devries

Don't both of these guys deserve better?

Depends on your taste in music, I guess.  I happen to like both bands.

Grunge is the best comparison to the new minimalist school.  It was a reaction to the over-produced, over-accessorized, over-hairsprayed bands that came out of the 80's, a movement to get back to the basic elements of Rock.  The sound is raw, and the aesthetic is powerful yet simple (not to be read as plain, just unadorned).  I gave C&C Nirvana simply because Sand Hills put this genre on the map.

As for Phish, I think they define quirk.  As does Devries.  Is there any better album comparison for Kingsley than Lawn Boy?  The who's better argument between Phish and the GD is ridiculous, as one band is the evolution of the sound created by the other.  
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Jud_T

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2011, 11:51:37 AM »

Pearl Jam - Doak

Phish - Mike Devries

Don't both of these guys deserve better?

The who's better argument between Phish and the GD is ridiculous

Yes as it's not even close...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2011, 11:52:47 AM »
Who would be Mozart?

Donald Ross??

"Put simply, if you have played golf just about anywhere in Scotland, it is likely you will have played a course mapped out by James Braid. Braid was a prolific designer of courses in Scotland and the rest of the United Kingdom, although, unlike his contemporaries, he didn't travel to other continents such was his fear of flying. Thus the home of golf is awash with the result of his labours. Thought of as a true genius with regard to designing challenging holes, Braid was considered to be ahead of his time."
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Pete Blaisdell

« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2011, 12:05:38 PM »
Donald Ross could only be Roy Orbison, their works are long term and pure genius and have stood the test of time. I have a pair of Roy's sunglasses (with my prescription) that I wear when I officiate.
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

Jay Flemma

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2011, 12:10:17 PM »
jay

Come stumble my mirth beaten worker
I'm Jezmund the family berzerker
I'm bought for the price of a flagon of rice
The wind buffs the cabin
You speak of your life
Or more willingly Locust the Lurker

is all I need to know about phish

oh that and the parking lots full of trustafarians sucking down nitrous balloons  asking for a free ticket

That is one of their most rockin' songs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cdrgjp7T2A\

And all the nitrous salesmen should be thrown out.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 12:12:53 PM by Jay Flemma »
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

michael damico

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2011, 12:41:23 PM »
love the thread...now we're getting into music!!!

Doak would not be Zappa. From a big fan of them both, I can't draw a correlation.

The Nitrous Mafia is from Philly...so, in that case...the 'jambands' (Phish is one of the few living ROCK bands and not a jamband, hell, PF, the GD, Talking Heads, Zeppelin, Allmans: they all 'jammed' live) meaning Disco Biscuits, Tea Leaf Green, etc...they're the Philly crew CGA's?

I think Ross would be more of the Beatles. Come on now, who has the biggest number of 'hits' according to the 'lay man'?

I don't think Grunge is minimalist (possibly along the chords and their progressions) but Post-Rock would be the answer for that one...of which Radiohead is too mainstream now and could possibly used as a C&C or Doak. I have a problem labelling C&C that though because of their experiences (they are alittle older and would correllate an older band to them, possibly Zappa)

But coming from a HUGE Zappa fan, I would say Dye is Zappa, meaning all of the derivatives from him (C&C, Doak, Hanse, etc) would be the musicians Zappa influenced: Phish, Primus, Sublime, etc.

Another would be James Brown > George Clinton > Dr. Dre/Snoop Dogg > any rapper today
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
                                                                -fz

michael damico

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2011, 12:45:10 PM »
The who's better argument between Phish and the GD is ridiculous, as one band is the evolution of the sound created by the other.  

the Dead are a more loosely based improv whereas Phish is a more driven, composed improv.
                                                                -fz

Jud_T

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2011, 12:50:27 PM »
Radiohead would be good if they didn't jump the shark 10 years ago...As far as I can tell Doak has yet to jump the shark.

If you want to talk relevant minimalism how about the Black Keys?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 12:53:11 PM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Kalen Braley

« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2011, 12:54:55 PM »
Radiohead would be good if they didn't jump the shark 10 years ago...As far as I can tell Doak has yet to jump the shark.

If he has, it was when he agreed to build that course in the middle of the desert that includes a pond with mini waterfalls.

michael damico

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2011, 12:59:13 PM »
or the Bamboos? Dr. Dog? Black Joe Lewis & the Honeybears? Deerhunter? Dumpstaphunk? Marc Ribot? Medeski, Martin & Wood? Mono? Mogwai? Morphine? Neu!? Sigur Ros?

Eventhough I've never played a Kidd course yet, I'd say (with only seeing on here) he's like Explosions in the Sky

who would be CCR? Otis Redding?

Jim Croce...Mike Strantz?
                                                                -fz

Jud_T

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2011, 01:06:18 PM »

Jim Croce...Mike Strantz?

now you're talking..or Coldplay....
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 01:18:12 PM by Jud Tigerman »

michael damico

« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2011, 01:10:18 PM »

If he has, it was when he agreed to build that course in the middle of the desert that includes a pond with mini waterfalls.

Sebonak?
                                                                -fz

Dave Falkner

« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2011, 02:32:36 PM »
jay whether or not chalkdust is good musically is at least an arguable point  ...........   however  whether or not the lyrics are inane and insipid is NOT open to discussion

Jay Flemma

« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2011, 02:36:50 PM »
Yeah, but the songs kicks a truck load of bee-hind - how about this version where they do "Whole lotta Love in the middle of it??!!!"

http://www.youtube.com/user/HarpuaFSB#p/c/A70A8C6759118F1D/19/p4cmL9NalU0

Strantz = Yes meets Jeff Buckley - some of Mikes holes (11 MPCC) look like they could be Yes album cover art.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Ben Sims

« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2011, 02:42:45 PM »
Did CCR ever get out of a song well?  Any archies known for crescendos everywhere but near the finish?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 02:44:35 PM by Ben Sims »

Kirk Gill

« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2011, 02:52:16 PM »
CBM - Cole Porter

Reese Jones - Michael Bolton

Jim Engh - Van Morrison
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

David Harshbarger

« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2011, 03:01:39 PM »
Nicklaus Design, Tom Fazio - The big music companies.  They put out a lot of product that sells, some of it is timeless, some of it not.  The key being they feed the market what the market asks for, and consistently deliver best new chart-topping product, even if the hits seem dated not much later.

Stanley Thompson - Aaron Copeland - Big bold expressions of North America that leap out of the land

For the Minimalists, I can't see them as Grunge, though I agree that they share with Grunge the genesis as a reaction to the over-commercialized, inauthentic, rock that dominated the radio and MTV as the 80's wore on.  Where I differ is that to me, Grunge was a self-destructive response whose energy consumed the genre, while the Minimalists are more of a measured, and lasting response.

How Phish gets into any of this conversation, I'll never understand.
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Jay Flemma

« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2011, 03:22:31 PM »
Read the article, and you understand.  Learn about the history and legacy of the band and you understand.  It's all about tapping into the social zeitgeist f each architects work.

michael damico

« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2011, 03:40:35 PM »
Jay,

wouldnt you say someone else like Nuzzo is a correlation to Phish - someone who has put themselves out there by word of mouth or the internet alone? Mr. Nuzzo hasn't hit it as big as Phish has (yet), but has gone against the 'grain' and has promoted himself via word of mouth (as much as you can say that in today's day in age)
                                                                -fz

Jay Flemma

« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2011, 03:42:51 PM »
Not even close.  Phish is a flat-out Hall of Fame first ballot selection.  They are legendary.  Mike is just beginning his career.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2011, 03:46:09 PM »
no Van Cliburn yet? or Vladimir Horowitz?

MacKenzie = Chopin ??

Hugh Wilson = Holst?

Having had the opportunity to hang out with TD & team for 3 days at the Bay of Dreams, I do not see how any contemporary musician or group could apply.

Strantz would have to be in the category of Fusion, Progressive Jazz, Bartok, Mahler or Stravinski (you take a defined idiom and push it beyond a conventionally conceivable extreme).

michael damico

« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2011, 04:02:34 PM »
Strantz - the Poets of Rhythm?
                                                                -fz

Jay Flemma

« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2011, 04:05:51 PM »
Strantz - Yes meets Jeff Buckley

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back