News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dean Stokes

Bandon in October
« on: September 15, 2011, 11:36:48 AM »
Gents, I may have the opportunity of going to Bandon at the end of September/ beginning of October.....what kind of weather can you expect out there at that time? Thanks in advance.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Kalen Braley

Re: Bandon in October
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 12:27:57 PM »
Here you go Dean,

Some great info here with historic averages on rainfall and temps amongst other things.

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/History.aspx?month=10

Michael Dugger

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 12:40:26 PM »
All you can do is live right, meditate, pray and hope for good luck.

Karma can do wonderful things.

Bottomline?

It's a crap shoot.  I've had great weather, clear, somewhat windy 10-20 mph, and 50 degrees in November.

And then the next day it will blow 50MPH and hail.

Rain gear on, rain gear off.  Freezing, then too hot.

Just book it and be prepared for everything.  There are no guarantees in Oregon.
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Steve Kline

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 12:50:29 PM »
I played five days in Bandon in early October. The first two days were perfect weather - light breeze, upper 60s maybe low 70s and sunny. The next day was little windier, a little cooler, slight mist for just a little bit but overall a beautiful day. The fourth day was miserable - extremely windy, rainy, cold. The last day was one of the most beautiful days I have ever played golf - 65, sunny, slight breeze. Played Bandon Dunes in the afternoon and when you first saw the ocean on #4 there was a haze/aura/sheen in the air over the green and ocean. It's hard to describe but it was spectacular and I will always remember it.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 06:42:00 PM »
It's guaranteed that rain will pour down if you don't bring your rain gear.   Based on past experience I would prepare for the worst and hope for the best. 

Mike Hamilton

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 06:50:16 PM »
It's guaranteed that rain will pour down if you don't bring your rain gear.   Based on past experience I would prepare for the worst and hope for the best. 

But would not let the weather affect my decision.  Long underwear, gore-tex, and good whisky and you will be fine.

Dean Stokes

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 08:08:16 PM »
Thanks gents. It looks like a go........the waterproofs and wooly hat, maybe even hand warmers will be packed. Now then, how will the golf be? I never expected to be going to Bandon at this point in time.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Doug Wright

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 08:21:29 PM »
In the words of an Oregon company, Just do it.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 11:28:08 PM »
Thanks gents. It looks like a go........the waterproofs and wooly hat, maybe even hand warmers will be packed. Now then, how will the golf be? I never expected to be going to Bandon at this point in time.

We're just yankin' your chain, Dean, October is probably the best weather of the year at Bandon.  Enjoy!

But do go prepared!

Jud_T

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 12:07:50 PM »
After 2 trips in the middle of the worst summer winds, next time I'm going in the fall...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Kalen Braley

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 12:16:00 PM »
I developed a new Bandon strategy.  Seeing how I live only 8-9 hrs away by car....

I'll watch the forecast and when there is a 2-3 day break in the weather in the middle of January...I'll jump in my car and head for a couple of days at the cheapest rates of the year.  The next best thing to being a local right?  ;D

Joe Stansell

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 08:19:00 PM »
I played Bandon Dunes the day after Christmas las year. We had every element possible during our round. I still loved it.

The locals suggested that the two best times to visit were during November and March, FWIW. They thought both of those months tended to be better than during the Summer. Or so they told me.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back