News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Jacksonville golf options - input appreciated
« on: September 13, 2011, 09:26:55 AM »
A good friend of mine is heading down there, and as he tends to do on all trips, he asked me what I knew about the area. I drew a complete blank (other than the obvious TPC). Any info on best options, public or private, would be much appreciated.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jeff_Mingay

Re: Jacksonville golf options - input appreciated
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 09:53:21 AM »
George,

I think Timuquana Country Club is a neat place. Old Donald Ross course redone by Bobby Weed and co.
jeffmingay.com

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 10:04:25 AM »
Pablo Creek
Sawgrass CC
Hammock Dunes (two courses)

Howard Riefs

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 10:30:17 AM »
-- Ponte Vedra Inn, Ocean Course

Additional nods for:
-- Sawgrass C.C.
-- Pablo Creek
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Sam Morrow

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 10:33:19 AM »
Isn't there a cool old muni down there that Ross did?

Dean Stokes

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 10:35:08 AM »
Is he looking to play golf George? A lot depends on where he is staying.....it is a huge city. If he is on the beach, Timuquana is an hour away. If he is in Amelia Island, Sawgrass is over an hour away! Can he get on the private courses? Otherwise adding Pablo, Timuquana and Sawgrass CC is pointless.......
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Dean Stokes

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 10:35:31 AM »
Is he looking to play golf George? A lot depends on where he is staying.....it is a huge city. If he is on the beach, Timuquana is an hour away. If he is in Amelia Island, Sawgrass is over an hour away! Can he get on the private courses? Otherwise adding Pablo, Timuquana and Sawgrass CC is pointless.......

Hyde Park.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Howard Riefs

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 10:53:14 AM »
A lot depends on where he is staying.....it is a huge city.

Dean isn't kidding.  Given my inner Cliff Clavin for needless trivia:

Jacksonville is the largest city in area in the continental U.S.

http://www.coj.net/About-Jacksonville.aspx
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

George Pazin

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 11:12:01 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. My friend is a member of an old Ross course, so I know he would love some of the suggestions. I don't think access is an issue, he's a great guy with lots of friends!

Interesting thoughts on the location question, I don't know where he's staying. I'll forward a link to the thread, see what he says.

Thanks again.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Dean Stokes

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 11:37:52 AM »
Timuquana and San Jose CC are the best two Donald Ross. Pablo Creek and Palencia are both good courses (Fazio and A Hills). Sawgrass CC is a good test. Long Point on Amelia Island is good.

BCrosby

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 12:16:03 PM »
Hyde Park is interesting and inexpensive. They played a PGA event there back in the day.

I've never been clear if it is Stanley Thompson or Ross or some combination of both.

Bob

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 12:17:17 PM »
Sam M,

I believe you're talking about Palatka GC, about an hour South of the city limits. It's a bit scruffy around the edges, but for $25.00 it's a darn good value. While it is reputed to be a Ross design, a recent visit by the Ross Society found the name of another gent on a routing that the pro produced. A bit of a mystery there, though it has some of the most devilish holes and greens you can imagine. It also hosts the Azalea Amateur, usually in March, which has a top field and the 5,900 and change yardage gives'm fits!

The immortal Tommy Bolt, who played the course, gave the BEST quote I've ever heard in describing a course . When asked his take of Palatka he said, "That's the hardest little catbox I ever played!" Priceless.

Hyde Park is worth a play. The other usual suspects mentioned are all sold bets. Another track that usually is is fine shape is St. John's Country Club, off of  Rt.  210, I believe. It's always good to call ahead to check on conditions. One thing I'll say for the golf folks here, they tell it like it is when you ask about the shape of the course. Refreshing.

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back