News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Saltzman

Re: Sahalee CC, WA (Ted Robinson) - A Photo Tour - Hole 16 Posted
« Reply #75 on: September 15, 2011, 03:52:16 PM »
8 North   Par 3   Yards: 215

Elevated tee looks down on a green with water in the front that wraps around the right side. Grass between green and the lake is cut short to collect balls that miss the green. Large bunker on the left side.

On fourth and final P3 of the round, I hit 5-iron yet again.  A feeling of haven't I seen this before is inevitable as this hole shares a lot of similarities with two of the other P3s at Sahalee.

9 North   Par 5   Yards: 525

Dogleg left after uphill tee shot. Too much of a draw could be blocked by large trees on the left or end up in a bunker on the left side of the landing area. Approach area narrows with two large trees guarding left side. Two-tiered green is 120 feet long with three bunkers surrounding the green.

Richard Choi

Re: Sahalee CC, WA (Ted Robinson) - A Photo Tour - Hole 18 Posted
« Reply #76 on: September 15, 2011, 06:36:05 PM »
In my opinion, North 9 is far superior to South 9. If all 18 holes were like North 9, it would rank much higher in my mind. It has much more interesting elevation changes in the fairway and that add greatly to the dimensionality of the course.

I will also say that Sahalee plays much wider than it looks due to wider landing areas (can't see them from the tee) and the fact that wooded areas are completely clear of debris. Even if you hit one in the woods, unless the ball gets stuck in the tree, you can usually find it and play it as it lies. That is far superior to most NW heavily wooded courses that rarely clear areas under the tree. McCormick Woods may have wider playing corridors, but once you hit it into the woods, it is much more difficult to find your balls and that is true for most NW courses outside of Sahalee.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #77 on: September 15, 2011, 07:13:34 PM »
I can buy that the photos make it look more narrow than it actually it is...but still looks to be pretty darn narrow. 

On a side note, I'm guessing Claustrophobics Anonymous won't be holding their annual tournament there anytime soon!  ;D

Garland Bayley

« Reply #78 on: September 15, 2011, 07:56:25 PM »
I imagine the trick would be to use a lens focal point on the camera that is equivalent to the human eye. If you have a wide angle lens, I would imagine the trees would look farther apart than usual. A telephoto would make the trees look closer together than usual.

I off hand am sketchy on the details here, but maybe someone knowledgeable can chime in. If I recollect correctly, the old slr film cameras came with a standard lens that approximated what humans see.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back