News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Re: 9/11 and Golf- Your Personal Stories
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2012, 08:44:11 AM »
Had a fundraiser/party for our surf buddies from California tonight at the Paul Colliton studio on 27th Street. Here we go:

Mike,

Thanks for the photo.

You should explain that the column of light is from the footpad of the twin towers.

As I was driving on the NJ Turnpike Friday night, and on the Throgs Neck Bridge and Cross Bronx Expressway last night, that column of light was clearly visible.

It's a constant reminder of that tragic day and of all those innocent souls, sons and daughters, mothers and fathers, aunts and uncles, brothers and sisters who lost their lives that day.

I also think of those brave fireman and policemen who entered those buildings and climbed those stairs trying to rescue people trapped in that towering inferno, especially those in the North tower after the South tower had already collapsed.

Last night I stayed up until 3:30 am watching documentaries about 09-11-01, many of which hadn't been seen before.

NEVER FORGET !

Michael Blake

« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2012, 10:28:41 AM »
From my favorite twitter feed (Goldman Sachs Elevator Gossip)

Tweets
11 Sep GS Elevator Gossip ‏@GSElevator
#1: Soccer moms in Ohio can shut the fuck up about 9/11 on Facebook. I lost actual friends.

But seriously, spending the first half of my life in Northern New Jersey (the second 20 years in the Philly area) 9/11 hit close to home.
Some friends from high school worked at Cantor Fitzgerald, leaving behind very young children that don't even remember their father.

My cousin is a Port Authority Police Lieutenant who, fortunately, was ordered to not enter the tower because there were no more oxygen tanks left.  He ended up running for his life down the street as it collapsed minutes later. He attended lots of funerals.

Eerily enough, in 1993 he was in the tower preparing to get his physical for the Port Authority as he was in the process of being hired.
He heard an explosion and the floor shake.  It was the bin Laden bomb that went off in the undergound parking garage.

Recently he was asked to leave his post at the PATH and return to Ground Zero to replace a higher up as basically the commanding officer there.  One of his duties is to give 'VIP' tours of the Memorial (President, SEAL 6 team, etc.) Difficult for him to say the least.

Over the summer my wife, her two sisters and their mother wanted to visit, so I called Quentin and he gave us a tour.  Obviously it is a very emotional place, but the Memorial Pools were very peaceful.  Pretty surreal, as I'm sobbing at the names of people I know,
and right next to me there was a couple with their backs to the Pools, smiling as they had their picture taken. Felt like strangling them.
Quentin walked us around the Pools, stopping at different names of people he had known and told stories about them.  It was emotional but felt good to have someone humanize the names on a wall.  I don't know how he does it every day.

He then took us up to the 90th+ floor of Freedom Tower.  It was the construction elevator on the outside of the tower--as bumpy a ride as any amusement ride in Point Pleasant or Seaside.  I was kinda spooked on the ride up and down.  We rode and chatted with the workers.  It was evident how proud they were of the work they were doing, as they should be. They were pretty excited to see some girls up there for a change. There is much less office space since the mighty core of the building takes up so much space.

Quentin is only 5 years older than me but he is my hero.  A former Marine who fought in Beirut.  A very respected Port Authority officer who no matter how difficult it may be for him, feels that it's his duty to honor those and tell stories of some of the names so they are not forgotten.  

Sorry for the long post.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 10:36:13 AM by Michael Blake »

ChipOat

« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2012, 12:04:31 PM »
I was actually in Dornoch and first heard something about it on the 2nd green from an American I knew on the 18th tee box.  He said "a 747 has crashed into the World Trade Center."

Thinking it was, at worst, a horrible accident, I finished my round and inquired in the Golf Shop about anything in NYC.  "Oh yes" they said.  "Both of the towers have collapsed."  Not believing this, they invited me to watch the BBC reporting in the back room where I saw for myself that it was true.

We couldn't get home, anyway but the rest of our trip was quite somber.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2012, 12:40:29 PM »
We should never forget on many levels. Never forget to be vigilant. Never forget to listen to intelligence. Never forget to be just and proportionate in responding to acts and/or threats. We were beaten by nineteen guys who showed up on time on a suicide mission armed with box cutters and our men and women are still dying.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jud_T

« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2012, 04:14:51 PM »
As an aside, I flew into NYC yesterday.  2 positive things:

1.  Enough time has passed that I didn't think twice about the fact that I'd be flying on 9/11.

2.  There was literally nobody in the security line.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Howard Riefs

« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2012, 04:36:50 PM »
As an aside, I flew into NYC yesterday.  2 positive things:

1.  Enough time has passed that I didn't think twice about the fact that I'd be flying on 9/11.

2.  There was literally nobody in the security line.

I experienced the same on my flight yesterday.

The AA gate agent said that flight loads are noticeably lighter on 9/11.

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Bill_McBride

« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2012, 10:08:23 PM »
We should never forget on many levels. Never forget to be vigilant. Never forget to listen to intelligence. Never forget to be just and proportionate in responding to acts and/or threats. We were beaten by nineteen guys who showed up on time on a suicide mission armed with box cutters and our men and women are still dying.

.....and bought one-way tickets for cash and had no baggage.   I'll never understand why that didn't trigger any alarms.....

Chris Wirthwein

« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2012, 11:15:48 PM »
Was in St. Andrews, on a golf trip with three pals, playing just down the road at Kingsbarns. At one point during the afternoon round, a small maintenance truck pulled up alongside of the fairway we were playing. The driver motioned to one of our caddies. He walked over and leaned into the cab. Don't know why but the whole scene looked strange and very serious. The caddie stayed for a few minutes then walked back across the fairway where all four of us had gathered. As he walked toward us, we could all sense he had some bad news to deliver. My mind raced. All I could come up with was that something awful had happened to one of our wives or kids. I didn't want him to open his mouth, but he did.

"I've got some bad news for you, lads," he began. I don't remember his exact words, but he manged to explain the whole story, ending with the news that both towers had collapsed. "We're so sorry lads," he continued. Then he proceeded to remind us about the jet liner that went down in Lockerbie Scotland some years earlier, the result of a terrorist bombing.  I remember him saying, "The Scottish people are with you."

We finished the round with barely a word spoken and returned by car to St. Andrews around dinner time and shuffled into a small pub in search of food. The TV in the corner replayed the jet liner collisions non-stop. We spoke little. And the few locals in the pub minded their own business. They could tell we were Americans, and we could tell they didn't quite know what to say.

I can remember seeing Prime Minister Tony Blair on TV telling the world that the people of the UK would completely support their American allies in the effort to bring the killers to justice. His press conference sound bites were repeated over and over. Strangely, his words provided a bit of comfort. But soon enough it dawned on us that we were thousands of miles from home, on foreign soil -- and all we could think of was how to get home. Calls home that night did little to settle our nerves. Our wives and kids missed us. They were terrified. We were terrified. And nobody could do anything to change any of this. It was Tuesday night. Calls to the airlines gave us no information. Airplanes weren't flying. And although we were scheduled to fly home on Saturday, no one would speculate when or if planes would resume flying...

The rest of the week was a numbed-out blur. Each day we checked for flights, even boats. But there was absolutely no way to return home and no one would speculate if we would be in Scotland for a few days, weeks or longer. We decided to continue with the golf trip. We played our rounds and at each stop, the people we encountered would make a point to approach us and offer their condolences. In some strange way, we must have stuck out as strangers, foreigners, Americans. But the people cared. And they tried to console us.

I remember one instance in particular that happened while we played at Montrose. An elderly man pulling a trolley appeared on a tee behind us. As he was a single, we waved him through and scattered to the edges of either side of the fairway. He hit his tee ball down the middle, but instead of walking to it, he zig zagged his way there, stopping to spend a moment with each of us. "I know you're Americans," he spoke slowly as he stared onto my eyes. "They told me in the clubhouse. We're so sorry," he half whispered. He stopped and did the same with each of my mates. The scene stays with me to this day.

We finally did get a plane out of Scotland -- on one of the first international flight out of Glasgow on Saturday. The airport was clogged with machine gun armed military personnel and the checkin process took hours but we made it onto the plane and into the air. It was a nervous flight, but we were headed home -- back to Chicago and  finally, to our families in Indiana. I learned that in a disaster the most important thing is to be with your family. It was a chilling week without them.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2013, 11:16:17 AM »
Never forget.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Howard Riefs

« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2014, 12:58:26 PM »
Never forget.

Adam Warren

« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2014, 02:32:31 PM »
I was in college at the time and was actually on an off day from class, working at the golf course in my hometown that had just opened that year.  A few minutes before leaving the house was when the first reports of the plane crashing into the first tower were coming out, along with video and coverage of the building.  I thought what an unfortunate event, and left for work thinking nothing more. 

The course had just opened that year, and the clubhouse was not complete, so we were in a mobile unit, without the luxuries of a clubhouse like a television.  I missed many of the events of the day, and really didn't even catch word until later that afternoon of the second plane and towers falling.  One of my co-workers was pretty torn up and was sent home, so I worked the rest of the day.  There weren't a whole lot of people out to play that day either, I assume due to the events of the day.  I would turn 19 in a few days, so I wasn't often up on world events outside of sports.  I don't think things really registered for me until I got home that evening and it was everywhere on the television.  An incredibly sad day that I will never forget, even if I didn't realize it at the time.  It was probably more my reflection back on the day that evening that allows me to have the memories I do have. 

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2014, 03:52:31 PM »
I'm in Poland, visited Auschwitz today for the first time. Talk about never forget, Hilter killed 11 million, 6 million Jews, and 3 million were from Poland. Another era, another mad man

Never forget!!!!
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Anthony Butler

« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2014, 07:41:12 PM »
My wife had a ticket on Flight 11 out of Boston that morning. On Monday evening, she received a call informing her the meeting in Los Angeles was being postponed for a couple of days. Unfortunately, one her colleagues was on that flight.. If the name Bill Weems is familiar to you, you probably stayed for the credits at a showing of Fahrenheit 911.. Apart from documentaries, he also did a lot of location scouting and production work for ad agencies in Boston and NYC.

More than 13 years since that day, it's hard to imagine what life would be like if she had not received that phone call... Certainly this photo and about a million others would never have been taken:

« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 08:14:29 PM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Howard Riefs

« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2015, 09:58:29 AM »
Never forget.

JJShanley

« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2015, 10:16:29 AM »
I played golf in Edinburgh that morning, before the school year begun.  I got home to find my mother with a look of shock on her face staring into the middle distance.  I knew something had happened but assumed it had to do with my father or sister. 

I didn't pay attention to the tv until some moments later, after she had pointed to it.  I don't think I'd ever seen her so upset or shocked.  The sight of her sitting slumped in a chair lives with me as I contemplate this anniversary.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2015, 10:46:10 AM »
My wife was on NJ Transit, heading into the tunnel that goes under the Hudson River, as her office was across from the United Nations, when she called me at work to say she could see there was a building fire downtown. 

A few minutes later someone else called me to say that a plane had hit one of the Towers and to click onto Yahoo to read the story.  I tried to ring my wife back but, if you remember, there was cell phone equipment on the Towers and as a result no cell phone service (or phone service for that matter) was available.

She told me two days later that they watched the Towers come down from their conference room.  There was no way for us to contact one another for much of the day, so I had no idea where she was, or if she had gotten off NJ Transit downtown and taken PATH or the Subway uptown.

Remember also, almost everything was shut down; F16's were flying over Manhattan in case another plane was going to try and crash into another building; so there was little chance to take a train, bus or anything other means of public transportation home. She stayed with a friend overnight at her apartment, where she finally called me that night to say all was well and that she'd be home the next day.

For weeks afterward, the local paper would print lists or memorial articles about locals who didn't make it out of the buildings.  I hated reading those, since every week there was a another person I knew, did business with or played golf with, who had been lost.

I went to the site once or twice during clean-up, it wasn't a great experience.  Once re-construction of the PATH Station and the Freedom Tower began, I'd go by the site all the time as I had business downtown.

Aaron Marks

« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2015, 11:48:04 AM »
I was a sophomore in high school near Chicago.  I'm sure it was scary being anywhere on that day, but high schools are full of misinformation.  It was a long day.  I remember that our Spanish teacher (first class of the day), did not think it was an important event.  Class went on while we could see other students crying in the hallways...

So where does golf fit into this story?   Well - all after-school activities were cancelled for the day, including golf practice.  Our golf team had it pretty good, we practiced at a number of public courses, and were lucky enough to be invited to Flossmoor CC, Idewild CC, Calumet CC and Ravisloe CC on a number of occasions.  But, once or twice a year we had the chance to play Olympia Fields.  OLYMPIA FIELDS!!!! Of course, in 2001, we were set to play Olympia on September 11.

A few of us went to Olympia and played, even though practice was cancelled and there was no coach.  The significance of 9/11 wasn't totally apparent to me then, today there is no way I would go and play golf on ANY course if something similar happened.  My parents and grandparents can remember where they were when JFK was shot.  I'll always remember 9/11 as being a horrible day, but I'm glad that when I think about how I spent my day, I didn't dwell or have any fear, I played Olympia Fields.  There would be ample time for dwelling and fear later. 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 11:53:23 AM by Aaron Marks »

PThomas

« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2015, 12:11:46 PM »
Westchester has a plaque remembering the members it lost on that terrible day
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2015, 01:49:44 PM »
I was working as an Asst. Pro at Nissequogue Golf Club near St. James, NY.  I was living in Brooklyn, making the arduous commute daily, as my fiance (now wife) worked in the city and wanted to live close.  I was only an apprentice and not a class A member and the other two pros were off at a tournament at Inwood CC, (I think the MetPGA Championship).  The starter got a phone call and looked at me and said, "turn on the tv right now."  I turned it on and watched live as the 2nd plane struck.  Knowing that my fiance was on her way to work, I called her.  No answer.  Her office was on Wall St. and she would usually get off the subway right under the WTC.  After an hour of not hearing from her, I started to get pretty worried.  Then the buildings fell.  Right after they fell the other assistant pro came to the club as they had cancelled the tournament he was at.  He said, "I know Adriana (my fiance) is in lower Manhattan. Go get her." 

I left immediately.  I tried the LIE at first.  Made it about 15 miles and then it turned into chaos.  The authorities were shutting off all access to NYC except for emergency vehicles.  The three-lane highway had turned into total pandemonium, seven cars wide, with emergency vehicles in the emergency lanes and dirt/grass medians flying by.  The whole time I was calling and getting nothing but busy signals.  The phones were too flooded for me to get through.  Finally, my phone rang and I recognized the number as my fiance's.  I was terrified that I was going to pick it up and it was going to be a policeman or firefighter telling me she was hurt or dead.  Fortunately, it was her.  She had made it to a friend's place in the Lower East Side.  She had witnessed the 2nd plane hit at almost directly underneath the building.  She then watched both buildings fall with her own eyes from less than 10 blocks away.

After a long journey of almost 6 hours I made it on side streets to the Williamsburg Bridge.  There I waited until she walked across.  Everyone coming off that bridge looked lost and ghostly.  I remember looking at the skyline and thinking the fangs had been pulled from Manhattan.  It is burned in my memory forever.  It was truly the worst day of my life and the weeks and months following were the saddest.  Seeing endless funeral processions of firefighters and policemen on a daily basis was so heart wrenching.  I'll "never forget" that.  Those funerals.  Those infinite posters on every streetlight and telephone pole of people who were missing.  That fear that I'd lost the love of my life. Those things never leave you, and I was one of the "lucky" residents of NYC metro area that didn't actually lose loved ones that day.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 01:51:42 PM by Jeff Fortson »
#nowhitebelt

Michael George

« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2015, 02:13:01 PM »
Was at work and went home after the second tower was hit.

I arrived home and sat on my back patio thinking about things when a fighter jet literally flew right over my house heading east (seemed about 100 yards above me but I am sure it was more).  I live in northeast Ohio, directly over the area where Flight 93 was redirected East toward Washington DC (the audio of that flight is from the control tower in Cleveland).  I went inside.  About 30 minutes later, the news reported the demise of Flight 93. 

That day remains the most surreal day of my life.  My first reaction, like every American, was total shock, followed by an empty feeling of uncertainty, wondering (and almost trying to prepare myself) for another attack.  I remember watching TV wondering if another attack was about to happen.  That being said, as terrible of a day/week/month that was and followed 9/11, I will always remember how much better people became during that time, valuing family, friends and country and ignoring the nonsense that often occupies our American culture.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 02:32:49 PM by Michael George »
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2015, 01:15:05 AM »
I was working as an Asst. Pro at Nissequogue Golf Club near St. James, NY.  I was living in Brooklyn, making the arduous commute daily, as my fiance (now wife) worked in the city and wanted to live close.  I was only an apprentice and not a class A member and the other two pros were off at a tournament at Inwood CC, (I think the MetPGA Championship).  The starter got a phone call and looked at me and said, "turn on the tv right now."  I turned it on and watched live as the 2nd plane struck.  Knowing that my fiance was on her way to work, I called her.  No answer.  Her office was on Wall St. and she would usually get off the subway right under the WTC.  After an hour of not hearing from her, I started to get pretty worried.  Then the buildings fell.  Right after they fell the other assistant pro came to the club as they had cancelled the tournament he was at.  He said, "I know Adriana (my fiance) is in lower Manhattan. Go get her." 

I left immediately.  I tried the LIE at first.  Made it about 15 miles and then it turned into chaos.  The authorities were shutting off all access to NYC except for emergency vehicles.  The three-lane highway had turned into total pandemonium, seven cars wide, with emergency vehicles in the emergency lanes and dirt/grass medians flying by.  The whole time I was calling and getting nothing but busy signals.  The phones were too flooded for me to get through.  Finally, my phone rang and I recognized the number as my fiance's.  I was terrified that I was going to pick it up and it was going to be a policeman or firefighter telling me she was hurt or dead.  Fortunately, it was her.  She had made it to a friend's place in the Lower East Side.  She had witnessed the 2nd plane hit at almost directly underneath the building.  She then watched both buildings fall with her own eyes from less than 10 blocks away.

After a long journey of almost 6 hours I made it on side streets to the Williamsburg Bridge.  There I waited until she walked across.  Everyone coming off that bridge looked lost and ghostly.  I remember looking at the skyline and thinking the fangs had been pulled from Manhattan.  It is burned in my memory forever.  It was truly the worst day of my life and the weeks and months following were the saddest.  Seeing endless funeral processions of firefighters and policemen on a daily basis was so heart wrenching.  I'll "never forget" that.  Those funerals.  Those infinite posters on every streetlight and telephone pole of people who were missing.  That fear that I'd lost the love of my life. Those things never leave you, and I was one of the "lucky" residents of NYC metro area that didn't actually lose loved ones that day.

It's amazing what a small world we live in. Your (now) wife was probably less than 3-4 blocks from me. I worked on the corner of Wall & Broadway at that point on the 20th floor, fresh out of college- I had started work less than a month before that. I took the N to the 4 that morning like normal but I remember what a beautiful fall day it was and how much I wanted to play hooky and go play golf. The train stopped at City Hall abruptly- I looked at my watch, 8:48 AM. Nothing surprising- trains would stop there for an extended time all the time. The conductor then came over and asked everyone to get off- again, no big deal, I could walk the rest of the way. I got down to John St and police officers had blocked off access any farther on Broadway. There was a cloud of smoke so I thought maybe they were doing a movie/tv shoot or something- again, these things were common (but not usually at rush hour). I tried to cut down John St and down Nassau. At that moment a low rumble got louder and louder before culminating in a sound I will never forget. At that point I knew my initial opinion that this was all a harmless movie shoot was horribly wrong. I took off running in the opposite direction until I got to the Holland Tunnel. I packed into a van and got dropped off in Jersey City... I knew the best place to be was anywhere but there. I got word Amtrak was still running so I walked all the way to Newark. I had no idea what the right streets were but I knew if I roughly followed 78 I would get there. Some time after noon I got there and took a train to Philadelphia because I knew I could sleep on my college buddy's couch. The magnitude and scars of the situation finally hit me when we got to about Elizabeth and the towers were gone. I began to cry uncontrollably and everyone on the train was doing the same.

It was the worst day of my life and I had what-if nightmares for many years thereafter. The short term healing began the night Mike Piazza hit the game winning home run for the Mets but the long term healing may never be completed. Never Forget those that were lost that day and those that tried to save them.

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2015, 01:08:31 PM »
9/11 is always an emotional day for me. From 1996-2000, I worked at Cantor Fitzgerald on 105 1 WTC. My new place of employment at the time was directly across the river from the towers at Exchange Place in Jersey City. I'll spare everyone a recount of the chaos from that morning, but I do remember heading out to Suburban to play later that week to get away from the TV for a few hours.

Spending time on the golf course was very therapeutic. I vividly recall the pristine late summer weather and the tranquil beauty of my surroundings.

Every year I think about how fortunate I am to be around and I lament that so many of my friends weren't as lucky.
Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2016, 10:33:18 AM »
Never forget.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2017, 09:11:20 AM »
Never forget.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2017, 09:54:13 AM »
My wife's birthday is 9/11. That 9/11 day, in some partial way, caused my son and his friend Alex to chose their unique paths in life:

It's a little long, but here is our/their story:

https://medium.com/@carousel51/9-11-memorial-visit-by-mike-katie-sweeney-in-the-post-annapolis-era-dc053f68c413
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back