News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brett_Morrissy

Olympics: Caddies and Medals
« on: September 06, 2011, 09:58:50 PM »
Local sports radio talkback this morning, discussing caddies and whether or not they deserve and should get a medal if their player places 1,2 or 3 - and what if player and caddy are representing different countries?

So, we know golf is in this Olympics, whether it stays there or not, is not the point for this discussion.

Lets use Adam Scott and Stevie as a controversial example - one from Australia, one from New Zealand.

*Should a caddy win the same medal as his player at an Olympics?
If yes, does the caddies country(NZ) get the medal or the players country(AUS)?

*Should players be made to use a caddy representing the same country, this solving the above issue?

My solution would be that ALL players must carry their own clubs with no caddy - no outside assistance or help, I know the ROG allow for it, but the Olympics make up their own rules anyway. While we are at it - add in a high spin ball and see what kind of a result we get.
@theflatsticker

Kris Shreiner

Re: Olympics: Caddies and Medals
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 10:20:11 PM »
 Brett,

Carry their own bag? Won't happen.

NO medals for the caddies! I know that statement will have my jousting "Go-it-aloners" in shock, but I believe that being a vital component to the contest and earning the rare privilege to participate in such a special event is plenty. When have caddies ever felt they had to have the trophy? That's not what drives most of us that have done the job at some point in our lives. It's about the dough for some at the professional level, but just as important is knowing we did our job well and helped our player to victory.

The Olympic Flag, the one on the course's flagstick...THAT'S what the winning caddies will want! The gear, watching the ceremonies, and being part of the spectacle would provide a lifetime of memories. That would be one great experience, that's for sure.

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 10:29:31 PM »
Ask Marty Glickman and Sam Stoller about getting medals.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 10:47:19 PM »
Could/should it not be a rule that the caddie must be from the same country as the player?

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 11:24:43 PM »
This is not even close. No coach for any sport, team or individual, has ever been issued an Olympic medal:

There is a long standing tradition of coaches being allowed from other countries, because The Olympics is about the athlete.

Mike Benham

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 11:45:41 PM »

This could be the GCA Topic of the Year ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 06:18:50 AM »
Brett,

I absolutely agree with you. No caddies should be present. This is about the individual's ability to trek and navigate his (her, their team) own way around the track. They should be toting their own bag and if not fit enough then carry less!! They should have no support, input or morale boosting from a doppleganger! Plenty rip-snorting support from the sidelines is great but nobody to lean on when the going gets tough. This will be their game for their country. If we are going to have the daft idea of golf as an Olympic sport then it must be an individual effort with no outside interference!

Whoof,  I'm glad I've got that off my chest!

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Scott Warren

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 06:25:29 AM »
No caddies would give it a point of difference against all the other top-level golf tournaments that mean more...

Scott Warren

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 06:58:19 AM »
Brian,

It would be cool. Like college golf. Have the players rocking carry bags in the national colours with their country's flag massive on the full-length pocket.

Tim Martin

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 07:08:15 AM »
Caddies yes and medals no.

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 07:17:15 AM »
No medals for caddies... No problem, especially since coaches don't get them.

But...If you want to disallow caddies you should go ahead and get disqualify any skier who uses a wax tech (all of them). The guys who are fine tuning skis until just minutes before races sometimes as conditions are always changing have an enormous effect on the outcome of the races, so much so that many of the best skiers in the world bring their own.

Also no caddies would drastically slow down play, but this board enjoys 6 hour rounds anyways!

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 07:32:31 AM »
Jaeger,
We're talking about the gowf..... not slipping around on boards in the snow!

Are you pulling my leg when you say "....no caddies would drastically slow down play..".  I would venture that caddies WOULD slow down play.  Caddies rabbit on to their golfers for ages before the two of them finally come to some sort of consensus! Caddies disempower golfers! Anyway the Olympics is often about beating the clock so I suggest that a damn strict time limit is put on the golfers playing of each shot and they simply get penalised a stoke if they fail to beat the clock! Howzat.   Should have 'em around in 3.5 hours which would be terrific.

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 08:28:01 AM »
There are players on the tour that heavily rely on caddies to read greens as they are simply not very good at this part of the game. I think  advice that has a direct impact on the player's performance during the event puts caddies in a slightly different position to coaches.

40+% of the offensive scoring in a basketball game is off of set plays called by a coach.
25+% of the offensive scoring in a basketball game is off of fast breaks and turnovers in an offensive set structured by a coach.

Line-up, substitutions, timeouts, game strategy, defensive match-ups, defensive set all called by the coach.

A caddie gives advice to the player, a team sport coach tells the players what to do. They sit if they don't listen.

For individual sports an argument can be made that a caddie is equal value, but not a team sport.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 08:38:51 AM »
I understand that the PGA Tour pays the caddies during the Ryder Cup.  Who will pay them during the Olympics?

PCCraig

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 08:41:44 AM »
Of course the players will use caddies. Of course the caddies won't get medals.

How about adding one more pipe dream into the mix: wouldn't it be neat if the players used local Brazilian youth as caddies, a la Evans Caddies in the pre-modern day Western Open?
H.P.S.

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 08:45:22 AM »
Imagine how slow the practice day rounds would be without caddies.
@Pure_Golf

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 10:00:49 AM »
Maybe they could take the Tom Watson approach with his long time Open caddie, Alfie, and jus let them hold the medals up once for photos sometime just after awarded.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Scott Stearns

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 08:51:43 PM »
this is a no brainer--CARTS!  each player gets his own.  in my olympics we would use private carts...gas carts if you wanted to.

Can you imagine the gamesmanship possible if seve had a gas cart?

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 10:52:06 PM »
Nope

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back