News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

The VP and Speaker discuss Sand Hills and Dismal
« on: September 08, 2011, 06:53:42 PM »
Just saw the most amazing thing..   CNN's showing the House and VP Biden enters and heads up to the podium with the Speaker.

Give each other a big smile and handshake, and then CNN says "let's hear what they have to say".

Speaker Boehner says to Biden, 'I was out in the sandhills of Nebraska - the middle of nowhere.  Played these courses - Sand Hills and Dismal...  Had the round of my life (?) under par...  We take a break and go back out for 9 more and I had 6 pars and 3 birdies and missed a 4-footer that would've been another birdie".

Pretty cool - Boehner has great taste in golf courses!    

Here's the video:  http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/boehner-biden-talk-golf-ahead-obama-speech-005659224.html
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 01:49:46 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Mac Plumart

Re: The VP and Speaker discuss Sand Hills and Dismal
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 06:57:42 PM »
I'm interested!!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 07:11:51 PM »
Dan, FWIW (probably very little!) one of my 'Nova golf colleagues was Biden's high school football coach.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Ron Csigo

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 07:33:47 PM »
Pretty cool!

I was out at Bighorn this March warming up on the range before my round next to some guy with his back to me.  About 5 minutes into it, I noticed a bunch of Brock Lesnar clones wearing sunglasses and earpieces surrounding the range.  What gives?  Surely these guys were not here for Jim Thornton.  I hit another ball and someone comments, "Nice swing!" I look up to thank the person for the compliment.  Turns out it was Mr. Boehner.   

Wonder what other top flight courses Mr. Speaker has played this year?  Seems to me that he plays some pretty good ones.
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Jim Colton

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 07:37:52 PM »
Just saw the most amazing thing..   CNN's showing the House and VP Biden enters and heads up to the podium with the Speaker.

Give each other a big smile and handshake, and then CNN says "let's hear what they have to say".

Speaker Boehner says to Biden, 'I was out in the sandhills of Nebraska - the middle of nowhere.  Played these courses - Sand Hills and Dismal...  Had the round of my life (?) under par...  We take a break and go back out for 9 more and I had 6 pars and 3 birdies and missed a 4-footer that would've been another birdie".

(I've got it on my DVR and can post it to YouTube if anybody's interested)

Boehner's a 7-8 handicap. Pretty impressive. My guess was it was at DR and not SH.

I was on the same golf course as Mr. Biden last summer.

Matthew Schulte

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 08:00:02 PM »

(I've got it on my DVR and can post it to YouTube if anybody's interested)

Boehner's a 7-8 handicap. Pretty impressive. My guess was it was at DR and not SH.

I was on the same golf course as Mr. Biden last summer.

Jim:

My guess would actually be that it was at Sand Hills.  I think SH is actually easier to score on than DR.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 08:05:52 PM »
About 10 years ago I played a round with the (not then) Speaker and two staffers at Olympic. The pro shop put us together as it was a slow rainy day in March and our respective clubs had arranged the games. Although we're far apart politically we had a good time on the course and the 19th hole. It seems his game hasn't changed. No vanity or fantasy handicap for him.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 08:22:25 PM »
Speaker Boehner and his team were out a few weeks ago for several nights of R&R.  John did indeed shoot 71 at Dismal, he lit it up and had a blast!  I've never seen him smile more!

We were honored to have John out and were grateful to have a lot of time with him.  He was very gracious and spent time with all guests that weekend - it was very cool. 

The Capitol Police were first rate guys and made the visit positive for everyone here. 

He also played SHGC and very much enjoyed it as well.

The firepit was very relaxed and it was a great time for all who were out.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 08:22:54 PM »
About 10 years ago I played a round with the (not then) Speaker and two staffers at Olympic. The pro shop put us together as it was a slow rainy day in March and our respective clubs had arranged the games. Although we're far apart politically we had a good time on the course and the 19th hole. It seems his game hasn't changed. No vanity or fantasy handicap for him.

How much did you win?   ;D

Eric Smith

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 08:47:22 PM »
That's really cool. Can you imagine if he and Willie Nelson happened to be there at the same time? ;D I recall Willie's stories of White House rooftop excursions with the Secret Service when Carter was in office...

Anyway, I spent some time this summer on and off the golf course with this guy...maybe you saw him a few minutes ago after the President.

He says he's rated like 45th or 46th best golfer in the Congress. He's a legit 10 or 12 for sure.

I invited him and other family members out to Dismal next summer. Maybe hearing how much the Speaker enjoyed it, he'll give it greater consideration. :) That would be pretty neat.

Jud_T

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 09:10:26 PM »
Perhaps all political decisions should be taken on the golf course.  Then boorish behavior and slow play wouldn't be tolerated and anyone who didn't act in the club's best interest could be simply tossed out.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 09:56:44 PM »

Let's extend the conversation here for the GCA nuts!!!

Biden to Boehner:

John, Bam was playing The Vineyard Club that week. Freakin hurricane cut it short. Can you believe that s*%T?!

Boehner to Biden:

Joe, Bam deserves what he gets. The Vineyard Club has that crazy maintenance policy. We need BIG maintenance budgets!

Biden to Boehner:

Dude, you are stealing our thunder tonight. Who did you play with at Dismal?

Boehner to Biden:

Some asphalt contractor. Bam passed the TARP and this dude paved everything in the Midwest and joined everything in the Rockies.

Biden to Boehner:

Wait, was it a Doak or a Nicklaus?

Boehner to Biden:

You are right. It was a Nicklaus in Nebraska. That guy works like a dog. 24/7 365, he is building courses around the world, risk his own capital, supports his family, pays his taxes, never retires. Jeez, Bam and I need more Nicklaus courses. I know we could not work out that debt thing but let's make sure we both get another term.

Biden to Boehner:

No problem. We can ride the backs of the American entrepreneur, small businessman and worker.  I figure Warren’s secretary and her tax rate can carry us another term!! My lobbyist has an opening tomorrow at Congressional. Any interest?

PS. Written by a lunatic moderate Independent, who is praying that Bloomberg or Christie reconsider!!

PPS. I apologize to my Fat, Bald, Drumming friend in Scotland. The above is NOT really an architecture post!!  ;)

Dan Herrmann

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 10:30:32 PM »

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 11:09:04 PM »
Chris
Did you put John and Dirt together for a dinner.
That would get things moving.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 11:24:26 PM »
I believe Dan Quayle used to be a scratch or better golfer. 

Kinda scary to think these guys might be putting in the time it generally takes to shoot par or better on top courses. 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 11:29:18 PM »
I missed Mr.Speaker by a week.  Oh how I hope the satellites were moved before my arrival. We were drone worthy one night.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 12:05:30 AM »
I was very pleased (and honored) Speaker Boehner had a great experience.  We get a few notables out our way, all of which receive discretion.  Future Senator MacArthur Plumart was here at the same time.

Now that he is "on the record", I'm comfortable commenting.  We will see him again.  He was also very intereted in the Doak course and is a fan of Tom and his work, just like his is with TGB.

John is a good guy with a heavy load, just like all those who serve this country.  Its easy to forget this and, like all of us, they need and deserve some R&R.

The day John left, we hosted another esteemed gentleman with his bride, Jane.  The next day, Doak and Dirt arrived, followed by Kavanaugh.

Cap't Ben Sims had the pork chop tonight as we celebrated some great work and results on the Doak Course.

You just never know who you will run in to out here.  Its what make this place and area very, very special.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 01:02:15 AM »
Here's the real-life transcript of the conversation regarding the Speaker's "round of the decade" courtesy of Shackelford

Boehner: "I played a little golf in August, and I was at Dismal River Golf Club out in Sand Hills, Nebraska. It's in the middle of nowhere. One of the hardest golf courses you'll ever want to see. Sand Hills and Dismal. Seven birdies, five bogies, I shoot two under."

Biden: "You're kidding me!"

Boehner: "So we have lunch, sitting around for about an hour, and I thought, why don't we go play nine more holes. Six pars, three birdies, and I missed a four foot, straight in birdie on the last hole.

Biden: "No!"

Boehner: "So the next day I go to Sand Hills, I shoot 86."

Biden: (Indecipherable)

Boehner: "One day I play great, the next day I play awful. But this was the round of the decade."

Biden: "That's incredible!"

Boehner: "I haven't done this in 12 years, I shot 67 one time down..."

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2011/9/8/hot-mike-files-boehner-takes-biden-through-his-august-golf.html
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 01:04:16 AM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Chris Johnston

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2011, 09:34:13 AM »
Just wait until he sees the Doak course!

Thanks Geoff for the transcript and Howard for posting.

Golf could use some good vibes!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2011, 09:41:21 AM »
Dismal never fails to surprise or impress me.  I, like my friend Jim Colton, was positive the low round was shot at Sand Hills.

The one thing my friends have trouble grasping is why Dismal and Sand Hills did away with their slope and rating.  We take turning in every score very seriously because of our friendly wagers.  Personally I love the idea of getting away from the handicap system while on vacation.  This video will serve as evidence as why it is an excellent policy.

Which nine holes did Mr. Speaker play on his final loop?  I bet either way he took one more shot at #10.

btw:  When Nuzzo said John and Dirt I thought he was talking about me.  Wow, I can be full of myself.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2011, 10:00:19 AM »
How come he didn't mention the Doak course? :)

It seems he was a little too busy saying it was in "the middle of nowhere" -- and regaling the Veep with a score-by-score record of his own performance.

Everyone knows how fascinating that is.

All emoticons ... well, you know.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Will Lozier

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2011, 01:03:54 PM »
The Speaker is a legend in his own mind!  Not surprising that he isn't a good listener!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2011, 01:27:47 PM »
The Speaker is a legend in his own mind!  Not surprising that he isn't a good listener!

Will,

Make it to VP or Speaker of the House and you are more than a legend in your own mind.  I have a new admiration for our Vice President watching him listen to that story.  I have been trying to learn how appear to give a shit about things that I don't.  I'm going full Biden next time an employee comes to me with a personal problem.  They will still get nothing but won't know it until they are half way home.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2011, 01:42:16 PM »
... going full Biden...

A phrase that should live on after us.

Very useful.

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back