News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: Why doesn't Silicon Valley have better golf courses?
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2011, 01:54:09 PM »
Here is a listing of public courses in SV and surrounds that are at least worth mentioning on a Four Seasons information page:

http://www.fourseasons.com/siliconvalley/other_recreation/golf.html

Kevin,

That's all fine and good but including Crystal, Presidio, HMB, Pasa, and Pebble as "SV and surrounds" is a bit of a stretch.

Mike Benham

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2011, 02:07:57 PM »

That's all fine and good but including Crystal, Presidio, HMB, Pasa, and Pebble as "SV and surrounds" is a bit of a stretch.

Not sure why this is such a big deal for you. 

Go to any major metro area and if you had to limit the travel to 30 minutes from the hotel, you will likely only have a couple of courses on the list.  Expand the travel window to an hour, the list gets bigger.  At least the Four Seasons is providing accurate travel times to the courses.
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2011, 02:39:20 PM »
Mike — The floodway work will pay for their share of whatever course reconfiguration takes place. The scope and specifics are not determined as we are just now in the planning stages. Basically, the western and norther edges will shift to accommodate a larger, wider and realigned creek channel.

I do not foresee the City undertaking any major improvement work to the course at their cost...unless it were to increase revenue or reduce cost — those would be sensible opportunities.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tim Leahy

Re: Why doesn't Silicon Valley have better golf courses? New
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2011, 03:56:15 PM »
Loved your work at Olivas. Hope you can do the same with Palo. I played there once about 30 years ago and the only thing I remember was the Hof Brau restaurant that was on the premises. Pretty flat and nothing to remember.
You need to come to Sacramento next and redo Hagin Oaks-Mackenzie.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 07:53:29 PM by Tim Leahy »
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2011, 04:24:00 PM »
As I have traveled this great country I have come to the conclusion that people get the courses they deserve.  It is no different than you will find with food, music or beautiful women. Have you ever went out to a fine dinner and seen the women of silicon valley?  Case closed.

Note:  I have not played The institute, but neither have you. 
Sir,
When I was 12 or 13 years old, discovering an interest & teaching myself the game, coming from non-golfing family of moderate means, paying for my own clubs, greens fees & balls, bumming a ride to the closest course when ever I could, did I get the golf course I deserve ..... ??

Mike Benham

« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2011, 05:42:36 PM »

Our work is very similar to what we found at Olivas Park in Ventura, CA (a tired course with no shortage of issues, and issue categories) before we transformed the course into Olivas Links.

BTW, the site is very cool with some great views to the Baylands. Although flat, we see great potential.

Slightly confused here, so even though you haven't fully scoped and spec'd the project, you have defined the style of course that will result?

And let's be serious, as I commented above, the mid-Peninsula / Silicon Valley does not have the land forms to present a great course.  And as to the views, the view out to the Baylands is not exactly like the one to Great Peconic Bay.
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2011, 07:41:50 PM »
Mike — Well, we plan on it being an improvement ... and something that will transform the course. Check in later this year. We have just  begun to look at the possibilities. Your take might be that the land is not very good, but I see it differently. I think if you look past some of the conditions and landscape, the site has a lot of interest. After all, it used to be the natural mouth of the San Francisquito creek as it poured into the Bay. Many of the small depressions and low areas are still there, they have just been allowed to grass over and become overrun with a mess of odd tree varieties.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

astavrides

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2011, 05:04:29 AM »
When is the work scheduled to begin?
When is it scheduled to end?
Will the entire course be closed for a period of time or just parts of it?
Thanks.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2011, 10:06:29 AM »
No firm timetable for the improvements to begin. Not likely before 2013. We are hoping for a short, six month, work window, but that has obviously not been determined. Ideally, 9-holes or more will stay open during all work.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

astavrides

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2011, 11:43:39 AM »
No firm timetable for the improvements to begin. Not likely before 2013. We are hoping for a short, six month, work window, but that has obviously not been determined. Ideally, 9-holes or more will stay open during all work.

Sounds good.  Look forward to it.  Enjoyed what you did at Olivas very much.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2011, 03:55:11 PM »
Thanks for the kind words about Olivas. The end result was better than all of us thought ever possible, and we managed it for a very low investment.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back