News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ryan Farrow

The Top 20 Cities for Golf
« on: September 08, 2011, 10:37:15 AM »
http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/2011-10/top-20-cities-for-golf#intro

Pittsburgh #2? I think they got this confused with Pittsburgh's ESPN NFL Power Ranking for Week 1. I'm just going to give them the benefit of the doubt, must have been a misprint. I love my hometown and all, but seriously?

*Also note how the Dot in on Philly.....

Golf Club Atlas.... Have at it!

Jud_T

Re: The Top 20 Cities for Golf
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 10:40:41 AM »
Interesting that Chicago's not in the top 20.  Lots of expensive mediocre public golf in a crap climate... :-\
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Lou_Duran

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 11:56:32 AM »
Los Angeles #4?  Please!!!!

Dallas does have a bunch of good, often inexpensive daily-fee golf.  I would rank it high on access, quality and volume, and low on climate.  The only thing going for the L.A. (SoCal) public scene- Rustic Canyon excepted- is its world-class climate.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 01:33:51 PM »

Someone already started a unfortunately titled thread on this subject...

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49602.0.html

As I stated before Tulsa has much better public golf than OKC (#12).

And Seattle at #6 is a joke. 

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 04:32:50 PM »
Clearly this list had no intention of informing golfers of those cities where the (truly) BEST courses are located. Fine.

I don't have the link handy, but Lorne Rubenstein aruged that Toronto has the most "really good" courses of any city in the world just a few days ago in the Globe and Mail. (You can find this blog-type post at the Globe's web site, I'm sure.)  

Perhaps he's right. Toronto area courses might not compare at the top of the world rankings, but there's quite a wide selection of really interesting courses in the Greater Toronto Area, dating from the Toronto Golf Club (c. 1912 or thereabouts) to present.
jeffmingay.com

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 04:41:12 PM »
Clearly this list had no intention of informing golfers of those cities where the (truly) BEST courses are located. Fine.

I don't have the link handy, but Lorne Rubenstein aruged that Toronto has the most "really good" courses of any city in the world just a few days ago in the Globe and Mail. (You can find this blog-type post at the Globe's web site, I'm sure.)  

Perhaps he's right. Toronto area courses might not compare at the top of the world rankings, but there's quite a wide selection of really interesting courses in the Greater Toronto Area, dating from the Toronto Golf Club (c. 1912 or thereabouts) to present.

Here's the link to the article Jeff mentioned:

http://globeandmail.golfcanada.ca/professional-tours/golf-news/?articleId=2156741

Interesting that Mr. Rubenstein mentions that Tom Doak wanted to see Devil's Paintbrush because that's my 'on deck' photo tour, stay tuned.

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 04:46:36 PM »
St. Louis for public golf? Seriously?
H.P.S.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 05:08:49 PM »
Still really can't get over the inclusion of Riverside, and I'm not really sure why it wasn't just lumped in with LA, unless they're talking about all of Riverside county.  There's Oak Quarry, which is alright, and Moreno Valley Ranch, and that's pretty much it.  I guess climate was really, really important. 

Tim Leahy

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 08:25:05 PM »
Los Angeles #4?  Please!!!!

Dallas does have a bunch of good, often inexpensive daily-fee golf.  I would rank it high on access, quality and volume, and low on climate.  The only thing going for the L.A. (SoCal) public scene- Rustic Canyon excepted- is its world-class climate.

My guess is that LA area is greatly expanded and there are a lot of public golf courses, just not a alot of "great" public courses. Weather is very hard to beat. But they must not have counted in pace of play, because LA has to have the worst pace of play in America, around 6 hours on the weekends and 5 hours during the week.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

JLahrman

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 08:42:45 PM »
I grew up in Cincinnati.  There are no really great must-see public courses in the area.  But there are a lot of halfway decent, not-overly-expensive courses to play.  And the climate only totally rules out golf in January and February.  So I'm not surprised to see it on this list, given the stated criteria.

Michael Underwood

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 05:00:27 PM »
Denver not being listed somewhere in the Top 20 is crazy.  There is some really good public golf in the Denver metro area.  I would put Denver well above Dallas, Houston, OKC, Kansas City, St. Louis, Portland, and Seattle - and these are just the ones that I know something about. ::)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back