News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

William_G

Re: Not a game changer??
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2011, 10:13:02 AM »
Like it or not, you will be seeing a proliferation of long putters IMO now that the stigma has been taken away by young pros winning with them.

and the manufacturers see that
It's all about the golf!

Brent Hutto

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2011, 01:36:43 PM »
So if some guy won a couple majors next year running up to the ball and hitting it without setting his feet (like in that Adam Sandler movie) I guess we'd have an outcry that the Rules ought to mandate your feet be set for a certain number of seconds before striking the ball, no?

Or riddle me this. If Jim Furyk decides to add cocking a leg and passing wind to his already ridiculously interminable putting "routine" and proceeds to go on a tear and be Player of the Year annually from 2012-2015 will that be a game changer? Or will it be outlawed for the more straightforward reason of "It's really ugly and we're not going to allow it".

This whole thing comes down to the really ugly argument, dressed up with various high-sounding invocations about the history of the game and so forth.

William_G

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2011, 04:08:22 PM »
the principle of the belly putting controversy is whether it is a game changer or not..

like it or not

thanks

Wrong. The principle at issue is whether the rules of golf should dictate how a stroke is made. For hundreds of years until the croquet ruling, it was unthinkable. And most people consider that a bad decision in the first place - made primarily (if not solely) on the basis of "it looks funny" rather than any legitimate rationale consistent with the history or spirit of the game. That same mistake should NOT be made again.

I see your point and anger.

I'm happy that croquet swinging was banned, so I'm not most people, and it can now be seen as founded on it being non-traditional.

A golf swing is not traditional when the club you are swinging is hinged on your body, regardless if you are winning a major or winning a $5 dollar nassau.

I look forward to some rational discussion by the R & A and the USGA on this topic.

Thanks
It's all about the golf!

Brent Hutto

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2011, 04:17:25 PM »
I look forward to some rational discussion by the R & A and the USGA on this topic.

But the only way to interpret "rational" in this context is to mean "reflects your own subjective likes and dislikes" about how people make a putting stroke. This is an argument born of an emotional reaction that is purely subjective.

In that sense it is perfectly rational of you to want the rules to be written in a way that relieves you of having to feel such intense dislike for how some people choose to putt. But you still need to understand it for what it is. There is no "rational" way to judge the desirability of someone swinging a putter while it touches, yada, yada, yada.

It's like advocating a "rational" dress code, meaning one that requires collars on shirts and all hats to be worn brim-forward. It's only rational in the sense that someone who experiences emotional disturbance at the sight of a backward ball cap wants that particular thing outlawed.

William_G

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2011, 10:49:51 PM »

But the only way to interpret "rational" in this context is to mean "reflects your own subjective likes and dislikes" about how people make a putting stroke. This is an argument born of an emotional reaction that is purely subjective.

In that sense it is perfectly rational of you to want the rules to be written in a way that relieves you of having to feel such intense dislike for how some people choose to putt. But you still need to understand it for what it is. There is no "rational" way to judge the desirability of someone swinging a putter while it touches, yada, yada, yada.

It's like advocating a "rational" dress code, meaning one that requires collars on shirts and all hats to be worn brim-forward. It's only rational in the sense that someone who experiences emotional disturbance at the sight of a backward ball cap wants that particular thing outlawed.

you are out of your mind ;)
It's all about the golf!

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2011, 04:37:23 AM »
William,

I am out of my depth.....but I still love it when Brent H. waxes lyrical!

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back