News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Triskaidekaphobia by Noel Freeman is posted...
« on: June 01, 2003, 05:23:20 AM »
...under In My Opinion.

At first, I thought Noel had sent me information on some new hot Russian course but as with many Bob Huntley posts  :), I learned a new word. Noel's latest contribution centers around the 13th hole where he both highlights and ponders why there are so many great ones.

Noel lists a baker's dozen of favorites and the list could go on and on: the 13th at Prestwick which remains one of the great links holes of all time, its half par equivalent hole in the U.S. for severity of green complex is the 13th at Crystal Downs, Doak's best hole ever is a thirteenth hole, Rustic Canyon's 13th is one of the finest/most fun three shotters I've ever seen, the great Cape 13th at The Ocean Course at Kiawah, my favorite hole at Friar's Head (I think) is its 13th, and so on and so on.

Why are there so many truly outstanding 13th holes??

Cheers,
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:06 PM by -1 »

Ben Cowan-Dewar

Re: Triskaidekaphobia by Noel Freeman is posted...
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2003, 06:53:57 AM »
Minus the green, 13 at Cape Breton is one of my favourite par fours that Thompson designed. All these holes represent a crucial point in the round, so it is fitting they would be so excellent.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2003, 08:31:34 PM »
Ben,
       Another Thompson great, is the devilishly tough par-4 13th at Niakwa in Winnipeg, Mb. that runs parallel to the Seine river.

Tyler Kearns

CHrisB

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2003, 09:41:01 PM »
My favorite 13th holes:

Par 3's:
Muirfield
Merion (East)
Yale
Holston Hills
Delaware Springs

Par 4's:
Royal County Down
Salem
Prestwick
CC of Charleston
North Berwick
High Pointe
Waterwood National
Furman GC

Par 5's:
(I can't think of a single par-5 13th hole that I've played that I can list as one of my favorites.  If pressed I'd have to say the Old (Ross) Course at The Homestead.  I believe the only par 5 listed in Noel's article was ANGC #13.  What other great par-5 #13's are out there?)

Of my favorites, the only ones that would even merit cosideration as the best holes on that course are at Muirfield, RCD, Salem, Prestwick, High Pointe, Furman, and maybe CCofC.

It would be interesting to examine how many great holes lie at each position of the round; I wonder how strong the #13's would be in the end.  I can't help but think they actually wouldn't do as well as one might think, despite the holes that have already been mentioned in Noel's article and this followup thread.  Seems like they might have trouble stacking up against the best #16's, #17's, or #18's, and maybe the best #14's and #15's, and that's just the last 6 holes.  But this is before I really begin to think about it, and at the time I'm writing it's much too late to think!

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 04:44:03 PM »
This post is almost 10 years old and there should be many new additions.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 02:34:51 PM »
This post is almost 10 years old and there should be many new additions.

Joel, in terms of additions, I've mentioned some below (though they aren't exactly new), but having just read Noel's piece, I'm certainly in agreement on at least one of his choices.  I just returned from a long weekend at Kingsley, and the 13th hole may have been my favorite hole on the course, except for maybe number 2.....and all the other holes on the course (I really loved this course).  Below is a link to Tim Bert's excellent write up and ensuing discussion of the 13th hole.  It's a short par four with a wild green. 
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,37381.msg805472.html#msg805472

The most difficult pin position is probably the very back finger of the green, which can't be more than seven or eight yards wide, and is difficult to putt to from almost every other part of the green.  Fortunately, at the request of our host, the superintendent cut an extra pin back there for the duration of the weekend, so each time we played it, we had the option to play to that pin.  Par was an excellent score.  Tim's last two photos capture this portion of the green pretty well.  In one play, I was putting from the left fringe for birdie.  I walked to the green with both putter and sand wedge.  I had no intention of playing that shot with a wedge, but the likelihood of putting the ball past the pin into the back left bunker was so high, it seemed prudent to bring it along.

Though I did manage a few pars to that pin, my most memorable play was the first time we played to it.  I drove the ball into the front bunker, leaving a 50 yard shot from a greenside trap!  I left it a bit short, and it trickled into the left bunker.  I blasted out from there over the green into the back right bunker, which may be the most difficult from which to get up and down.  I hit the bunker shot of my life to a few feet for a rare "three bunker bogey". 

Other favorite 13th holes not mentioned already:

Cog Hill is a personal favorite (and the one I've played the most), especially now that the baranca has been restored in front of the green.  It's a real bear from the gold tees, and no pushover from the blues and whites.  Of course, I may be biased because the shot I holed from 185 yards there earlier this year. :)

Riviera, a par four which calls for a draw from the tee, and a cut from the fairway, with plenty of trouble left.

Lawsonia Links, with the echelon bunkers framing a really beautiful tee shot, followed by the decision of playing down the valley with a shorter blind approach, or laying back higher with a better view, but a much longer approach. 

Jud_T

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 03:21:57 PM »
Bill,

Good call.  My favorite hole on the course.  #2 is the hardest IMO... 8)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 07:30:58 PM »
The 13th at Pine Valley has to be included.  It's one of the best par 4's on the planet.

John Kirk

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 12:02:44 AM »
Stanford University has a nice 13th hole, about 430 yards on very flat ground.  A textbook study on staggered bunker placement and playing angles.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back