News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Sander

I know it's only a list, but come on...
« on: September 07, 2011, 08:44:23 PM »
GolfDigest.com has a slideshow featuring its top 20 cities for public golf:

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/2011-10/top-20-cities-for-golf#intro

Scrolling through their top twenty brings to mind a conversation regarding the bottom twenty. Some of these cities have been widely panned on GCA for having really poor public golf. Cities such as L.A., Louisville, Nashville, and San Diego are often mentioned as being disappointing for public golf yet they made GD's list.

Other cities that are often lauded for their publics (take Denver and Indianapolis for instance) are left off of the list entirely. Now, I know there is little importance to this list and several non golf factors come into play. However, it seems the quality of golf resides in lowly strata compared to the other criteria...thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 09:35:06 PM by Matthew Sander »

Bill Seitz

Re: I know it's only a list, but come on...
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 09:08:36 PM »
They must put a big premium on climate.  I grew up in Los Angeles and went to college in Riverside, and I'd rather play the public courses in Chicago and Indianopolis over either of them.  Other than Rustic Canyon, I can't think of a lot of publics in L.A. that I really got excited about playing.  As for Riverside, I have no idea why it would be included, unless they figure the "Riverside Area" casts a pretty wide net, as in all of Riverside County, plus a bit of San Bernardino.  In actual Riverside you've got Oak Quarry and...well...Oak Quarry.  If you throw in Moreno Valley Ranch, Oak Valley, whatever they're calling the former SCPGA courses now, and down to Temecula, there's really not much there, but that's stretching it. I'll take the Fort and Trophy Club over all of them.

Besides, climate ought to be offest by course conditions.  Our growing season in the Midwest is shorter, but the rain and humidity tend to make for more well conditioned courses. 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 09:10:03 PM »
If Denver and SLC county is left off this list, there is something seriously wrong. 

Even for a small little city like Spokane I would puts it muni's up against the best LA or San Diego has to offer.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 09:30:34 PM »

The are very generous with their boundaries.. Seattle only has 3 muni courses in the general area and Tacoma is not Seattle last I checked.

As for Oklahoma City being 12th,  Tulsa has much better public golf than OKC.  Lots of cheap public courses in OKC though.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 09:46:43 PM »
I'm not certain this is the best way to determine the best cities for public golf, but it does list the cities with the best public golf courses.  It is the best places to play public golf.   It takes five categories into consideration.  Of the fifty cities that were surveyed the rank in each category is listed.  Here is how the winner ranked in each of the five categories. 

1. Dallas/Fort Worth
Climate: 12
Cost of public golf: 18
Amount of public golf: 7
Quality of public golf: 12
Accessibility: 44
Average rank: 18.6

Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/2011-10/top-20-cities-for-golf#ixzz1XJyAjike
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Joe Stansell

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 10:10:26 PM »

The are very generous with their boundaries.. Seattle only has 3 muni courses in the general area and Tacoma is not Seattle last I checked.

I chuckled out loud when they described Chambers Bay as a 20 minute drive from Seattle. Its barely a 20 minute drive from downtown Tacoma. If you widen the net to include Gold Mountain, then maybe Seattle is competitive. Otherwise public golf in Spokane is significantly better, especially if measured per capita.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back