News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul OConnor

$10,000 Putter?
« on: September 07, 2011, 10:27:58 AM »
The recent putter cover thread got me thinking about the prices on some of these Scotty Cameron putters.  I see a couple on EBay for close to $10,000.  If you spend that kind of cash for a club, do you ever play with it?  Or does it sit in the vault, for display only.  If anyone here has a really nice Scotty collection,  could you possibly post a few pictures, so we can all see how sweet they are, and some rationalization for the pricing?

My putter is a cut down Zebra, black, 30+ years old, no headcover,  Cost about $40.  Same putter for about 25 years.  Still works pretty good every once in a while.

C. Squier

Re: $10,000 Putter?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 10:41:57 AM »
You playing on Thursday? (I know, dumb question)  I'll put one in your bag to take for a spin....just use the headcover!

Talk to Doug too, he's a collector as well. 

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 01:59:07 PM »
Without looking sometimes people post crazy prices on ebay that are meaningless or vastly too much. That aside collecting putters is quite a big thing, some of the most popular are the Pings that have Slazenger on them but they are c$500. Clubs used by famous golfers are quite collectable. I have a few but nothing in the crazy range.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

C. Squier

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 02:13:05 PM »
Without looking sometimes people post crazy prices on ebay that are meaningless or vastly too much. That aside collecting putters is quite a big thing, some of the most popular are the Pings that have Slazenger on them but they are c$500. Clubs used by famous golfers are quite collectable. I have a few but nothing in the crazy range.

That is true, but I've seen Cameron putters transact in the $40,000+ range.  A $10,000 Cameron, especially one of his early pre-Titleist handmades or custom putter wouldn't be an oddity. 

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 02:55:23 PM »
Well if its $10,000 now it will probably only go one way. BUY  ;D
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

RDecker

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 04:32:17 PM »
I myself have 5 different camerons of different shapes and sizes.  mostly I find that if I use an expensive putter I'm less likely to toss it
(ha, ha).  The Camerons do feel really good in your hands and are noticeably more balanced than the offerings I've seen from Odyssey, Nike et all.

Tim Martin

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 06:51:28 PM »
People collect all kinds of items and pay princely sums that seem crazy to those that have no interest in them. Vintage watches, fountain pens, stamps, coins and other items are all considered art to those that make a market in them. Why should putters be any different? George Carlin said that if you nail two things together that have never been nailed together before some schmuck will give you $20 for it. To answer the OP`s question I would imagine that you don`t put these clubs into play but I guess that would depend on the purchaser.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 08:43:45 PM »
Lots of people actually drive their Bugattis/Ferraris/Lamborghinis/Bentleys.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 08:48:47 PM »
I would buy and play with that putter under one condition, it would have to know how to swim.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back