News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

what's on the ground at Heritage Creek (Warwick, PA)
« on: March 19, 2009, 10:02:35 AM »
Last summer I got a sneak peek at the 6 holes already completed at the Heritage Creek Golf Club, located just outside of Philadelphia.  This is a Kelly Blake Moran layout that I'm anxious to play when the rest of the course is completed.  Currently the holes in place are 6 thru 11.  Below is a 2007 aerial from Google Earth with my annotation showing the current 6 holes and the 5th green (now here's a contest we should have to map out the other holes than KBM has in mind!):

I believe the 5th green is also complete (part of what looks to be a fun little par 3 over the Little Neshaminy Creek):

I didn't do my usual and snap hundreds of photos, but I think I got enough to give you a sense of what is there and what might be to come.

Hole #6:  a par 4 of about 370 yards.  I don't have a good view from near the tee, so I'll link to one from KBM's web page.  There is a large bunker left that can come into play off the tee that you can perhaps sense in the pic:

Here's the bunker, which the big hitters can consider carrying (~260 yards) to leave the best angle in when the pin is left:

Here's a view from the middle of the FW maybe 150 yards out:

There is a large hump in the green near the front right.   This pic from just over the green shows it pretty clearly:

A large closely mowed area exists over the green:

The 7th hole is a slightly uphill par 3 (185 yards from the tips) with a somewhat unusual fronting bunker and two others left and right.  The view from the tee:

Here is a view from near the front right part of the green looking back to the tees, giving a partial view of the fronting bunker that has a big island in it leading to some fun for those ending up near it!

It wasn't until I was putting that I could really feel the significant slope in this green from back to front.  This picture from the back of the green doesn't really show it very well:

There is an interesting strip bunker, reminding me of the one right of the green on the 15th at Cobb's Creek, to the right of the green:

The next hole, the 8th, is across the street.  It is a 435 yard par 4.  Here is the view from the tee (with the 9th being a par 4 running back alongside it to the right; you can see much of the 9th fairway in this pic to the right of the large mound.  Then you cross back over the 8th tee to play the par 5 10th to the left).

There is a large bunker left separating the 8th and 10th holes:

A good tee shot leaves a view like this for the second:

And a view from short of the green, which sort of shows a swale between those bunkers and the green:

The 9th is a par 4 of 405 yards.  Here is a view after a long drive to a very big green:

The area back right of the green is mowed as a fairway all the way up to the 8th tee:

The 10th hole, a shortish par 5 (485 yards) is probably the one that most got my attention on my only trip there.  Here is the view from near the tee, with the green in the distance, just to the right of the water tower:

The Matt Ward's of the world will boom a drive down to near where the FW narrows and lateral hazards come in play left and right, leaving a shot of 200 yards in.  Regular players might struggle with the decision to hit all the way to the green, which does have bailout room short and right, or lay up to the narrow landing area for their 3rd:

This view from the left edge of the green shows there is trouble long as well (and you can see the 11th green in the distance):

This pic from just long and left of the green, looking back, gives a good feel for the hole I think:

The 11th is a 180 yard par 3 with a carry over some junk:

This view from just short of the green suggests a coffin bunker is left of the green, and there is another saving bunker long, with a real neat spot for a Sunday pin back right:

« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 03:47:24 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: what's on the ground at Heritage Creek (Warwick, PA)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 10:23:26 AM »
I met a resident of the original 55+ section of Heritage Creek last year and she mentioned that the residents are trying to get the developer to build 3 more holes. I haven't heard anything since. I doubt many more of the higher priced new McMansions are selling to enable the developer to complete the course.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Willie_Dow

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 10:29:51 AM »
Joe:  The routing and pics remind me of Riverton CC, across the Delaware River in NJ.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 10:42:54 AM »
I met a resident of the original 55+ section of Heritage Creek last year and she mentioned that the residents are trying to get the developer to build 3 more holes. I haven't heard anything since. I doubt many more of the higher priced new McMansions are selling to enable the developer to complete the course.

2010 is the possible opening according to an article by Drew Markol of PhillyBurbs.com (the link below to a Google cache of the expired article).

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:c8L9rFI1LIsJ:www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/242-07062008-1559282.html
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 08:15:04 PM »
I played the 6 holes at Heritage Creek today. I paid $5 to walk. If one wants to play them twice it's $10 and $15 for 18!!! There is an additional charge a cart. Each green had 2 holes so the course can play different if one plays more than 6 holes.Actually, I played 7 holes since the 6 holes end far away from the parking lot and trailer which serves as a very temporary clubhouse and the 4th tee is near the 6th green so I walked back and played the 4th hole again. {Diagram that sentence ;D}

My overall impression is very positive. The fairways are wide. The bunkering work is very good. The trademark KBM greens are large with many  pin placements available AND very challenging.

KBM advised that he hasn't heard of any plans to open more holes next year.

The course starts on the future 6th hole. The 5th green is completed and serves as a putting green.

Here are some pics:
The future par3 7th hole bunker in front of the green

A closer look

Part of the huge fairway bunker on the left of the future par4 8th hole

The tee shot from the future par3 11th. Note the windmill to the right. Shades of Sand Hills?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 08:24:24 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 05:12:51 PM »
Here are some more pics:
The windmill to the right of the future 11th

The large bunker to the right of the green of the future 11th

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 11:10:18 AM »
3 new holes may be ready next year!!!

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 08:03:21 PM »
Joe Logan reviews the existing 6 holes and reports that 3 holes will be constructed this year and will open next year along with a club house:

http://www.myphillygolf.com/detail.asp?id=8493

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 09:52:14 PM »
Joe,

The bunkers seem so far removed from some but not all of the greens. Good for a visual fake out yet not sure what to make of it. I am willing to go give it a try.

Kelly Blake Moran,

Please contact either Joe or myself and come play my very tightly bunkered greens at Springdale in Princeton, NJ this May or early June.

Malcolm

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 09:13:31 AM »
My wife played there recently and reports that the 3 additional holes have been built and will open next year.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 09:21:58 AM »
Steve,

That's terrific.   ANY opening of new construction in this economy is an achievement, but I'm especially excited to see what Kelly hath wrought.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back