News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Randy Thompson

Re: How Long Should The Olympic Course Be?
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2011, 11:10:58 PM »
Do you know how much money these guys spend on perception of their image. What kind of perception do you give the public if you are a top 50 world player(thus not hurting for money) and choose not to represent your country in the olympics and play somewhere else for MORE money. There can´t be that many dumb, short sighted players! I can accept covers for putters but if this happens I am going to North Dakota or Idaho or where ever it was where you can pull pipe for 70,ooo k per year!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 11:13:41 PM by Randy Thompson »

Jason Topp

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2011, 11:21:32 PM »
It depends of course but if you assume an interesting design that takes advantage of the land, I would want to see a wide variety of yardages for the holes with plenty of reachable par 5's and short 4's so that the listed yardage might be shorter than expected but the course would still include plenty of long holes.  

Effective length (meaning that the yardage would vary depending on all of the factors that make a hole play longer or shorter than listed yardage)

3's - 130/160/200/240 =730
4's - 280/300/320/380/400/420/440/460/480/500 = 3980
5's 520/560/600/640 = 2320

7030 yards
I would set it up with 6 medium/long, 6 short/medium and 6short/long holes

If I wanted to make a statement, I would shorten the course by 300 yards but do so by taking out yardage from the medium length par fours and eliminating two par fives.  I would also design the course in a manner that minimizes maintenance costs (few bunkers,limited irrigation, slower greens with more slope, grass choices that require the least amount of input)

Sam Morrow

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2011, 11:40:59 PM »
Has the site been picked yet?

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2011, 12:20:27 AM »
I'm in the "not all will be pro tour category players" camp.  I would think even 7400 yards might embarass some lesser lights, and that doesn't seem in the Olympic spirit.  I say 7250 max.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Joshua Pettit

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2011, 01:14:05 AM »
Under 7200.

Pebble played 7040 for The Open last year, The Old Course played a bit over at 7275.  Why should any course need to be significantly longer to accommodate the best players in the world?
"The greatest and fairest of things are done by nature, and the lesser by art."

Bill Boonn

« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2011, 01:31:57 AM »
6800 yards

...with mandatory use of an official Olympic golf ball that brings distance/spin back to where it was pre-ProV1.

The Olympics mandate official balls for:

why not golf?

Even Ping Pong...  err Table Tennis has it's own official ball.  And they CHANGED the size of the ball to 40mm (from 38mm) after the 2000 Olympic Games to SLOW the velocity and DECREASE spin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_tennis#Ball) in an attempt to improve competition.

You'd figure that a self absorbed body like the Olympics would love the chance to set its own rules regarding the golf ball.  Not to mention the financial benefits of companies competing for the rights to produce and sell the official Olympic gear (although I'm not sure how much of the general public will be rushing to buy official Olympic golf balls if they reduce driver distance).

Sam Morrow

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2011, 01:40:37 AM »
If The Olympics adopt an Olympic only ball they will not get any top pros. The Olympics aren't going to get any pros excited and they are going to have no interest if they are playing with a different set of rules than they do on Tour.

The other thing nobody has mentioned, the 2016 Olympics are going to be in August. What pro is skipping the PGA or FedEx Cup for that? Then you say amateurs, well what legit am is skipping the US Am for the Olympics?

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2011, 02:22:16 AM »
If The Olympics adopt an Olympic only ball they will not get any top pros. The Olympics aren't going to get any pros excited and they are going to have no interest if they are playing with a different set of rules than they do on Tour.

The other thing nobody has mentioned, the 2016 Olympics are going to be in August. What pro is skipping the PGA or FedEx Cup for that? Then you say amateurs, well what legit am is skipping the US Am for the Olympics?

Sam,

With 1.4 billion potential golfers watching in China, do you really think Nike is not going to provide incentive for its pros to play? A Summer Games can draw ratings equal to "seven or eight Super Bowls over 17 days." http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/2011-06-05-television-broadcast-bidding_N.htm

Besides with the following running the IGF, a ball change is not likely, and the dates will obviously be worked out to accommodate The Olympics: 

http://www.internationalgolffederation.org/press/2010/igf_names_dawson_pres_votaw_vp.html

Alongside Dawson and Votaw, the IGF Board of Directors also includes: John Byers, Director of Rules and International Affairs of the Brazil Golf Confederation; David Fay, Executive Director of the United States Golf Association; Tim Finchem, Commissioner of the PGA TOUR; Jane Geddes, LPGA Senior Vice President, Tournament Operations and Player Services; George O'Grady, Chief Executive of the European Tour; Joe Steranka, Chief Executive Officer of the PGA of America; and Dilip Thomas, Council Member of the Indian Golf Union. Jane Geddes has been elected as the Chairman of the Board.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2011, 05:02:03 AM »
Think 8,000 yards par 70 with lots of water.

Golf course architecture at its finest!!

Haha yup. I wonder what they will nickname the signature last 4 holes?

Medal Mile?
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2011, 06:12:15 AM »
I would say the same length most championship courses need to be 7500 yards.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Tom_Doak

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2011, 07:33:52 AM »

Sam:

That's ridiculous.  ALL of the governing bodies of golf [including the Tours] went all in to establish golf in the Olympics.  They are not going to undermine it with their own events.  It will be a showcase for the game, and they will embrace it like the NHL embraces the Dream Team -- i.e., change the regular Tour schedule for 2016 to accommodate all the leading players going to Brazil.

However, since there's no jet lag going down there, it shouldn't be too hard to juggle the schedule -- they'll only need to set aside one or two weeks, and will probably play the PGA Championship a bit earlier than normal, so they can start the "playoffs" right after the Olympics -- if the playoffs are even still around by then.

Mike S.:

I doubt David Fay is on the board of the IGF anymore, I'd guess Mike Davis has taken his spot.  More interesting question is who planted John Byers on the committee -- he doesn't sound too Brazilian to me.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2011, 09:28:31 AM »

Sam:

That's ridiculous.  ALL of the governing bodies of golf [including the Tours] went all in to establish golf in the Olympics.  They are not going to undermine it with their own events.  It will be a showcase for the game, and they will embrace it like the NHL embraces the Dream Team -- i.e., change the regular Tour schedule for 2016 to accommodate all the leading players going to Brazil.

However, since there's no jet lag going down there, it shouldn't be too hard to juggle the schedule -- they'll only need to set aside one or two weeks, and will probably play the PGA Championship a bit earlier than normal, so they can start the "playoffs" right after the Olympics -- if the playoffs are even still around by then.

Mike S.:

I doubt David Fay is on the board of the IGF anymore, I'd guess Mike Davis has taken his spot.  More interesting question is who planted John Byers on the committee -- he doesn't sound too Brazilian to me.

Tom,

If the Tour changes their schedule then they run into a big problem. They will play more play-off events and maybe even the PGA Championship up against football. My guess would be that they would play the PGA the week before the NFL starts as CBS isn't ditching AFC games for a golf tournament. Now your playoff events are up against football and I doubt anybody is watching.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2011, 09:47:43 AM »
How about 6400 yards and no par...
it's the Olympics, you're playing the field like on any other sports... look at how the medals are won a lot of times, it's just about surviving the pressure and stand tall on the finish line.

question on the aspect of length:

- can somebody can present an example of playing a short course has led to fluke winner ?
- who would you think would win at a PGA tour event on a 6400 yards course ?

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2011, 09:51:35 AM »
Are there any Olympic Sports where the blue ribband events are set at different distances for Men and Women?

I'm all for tradition here but can't decide on 5000 or 10000m.  Of course there's no question that any playoffs should be 15000m.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Randy Thompson

« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2011, 09:54:05 AM »
Philippe,
Dave Pelz would win at 6400 yards!

Jud_T

« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2011, 10:30:15 AM »
Philippe,
Dave Pelz would win at 6400 yards!

Randy,

As all they show is putting on TV anyway, why the hell not?  ;)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Howard Riefs

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2011, 11:34:05 AM »
question on the aspect of length:

- can somebody can present an example of playing a short course has led to fluke winner ?
- who would you think would win at a PGA tour event on a 6400 yards course ?

Why focus on the short courses? More realistic for the Olympic Course will be to identify unexpected winners of tournaments on long courses.

Case in point, in February at the WGC Match Play on the 7,800-yard Dove Mountain course, short hitting Luke Donald won with a deft short game.   

Granted, Donald was #9 in the world at the time of the win, but it was a surprise that a 'short hitter' could withstand the course length.

http://www.pga.com/news/pga-tour/luke-donald-proves-short-hitters-can-still-succeed-consistency-short-game

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Greg Tallman

« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2011, 12:00:28 PM »
At least the three sets of tee markers willl be pretty cool.

Mike Benham

« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2011, 12:00:40 PM »
26 miles, 385 yards ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2011, 12:41:25 PM »

Sam,
I mentioned it on reply #19

Jud_T

« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2011, 01:09:55 PM »

Earlier link has it as two 60 person fields , 72 hole stroke play events.  

Seems like the ultimate team match play format.  what a missed opportunity...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2011, 01:15:26 PM »

Short and testing, no longer than 6500 yards but with many hazards. Let’s minimise the long aerial game and watch players navigate a real sporty course to prove their skill levels.

Melvyn

Garland Bayley

« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2011, 04:46:48 PM »
So how many think Tom has gotten himself a topo of the Olympic site, routed a course, and come up with a length he thinks the best course there should be?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tom_Doak

« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2011, 05:10:02 PM »
So how many think Tom has gotten himself a topo of the Olympic site, routed a course, and come up with a length he thinks the best course there should be?

I haven't routed a course or come up with a length, and don't know when or if I will -- I'm waiting to see the RFP and see what they are asking for. 

From what I saw of the site 18 months ago, it's a pretty blank slate so it will be as long as the architect and all the overseers think it should be.  I'm guessing Mike Benham's answer is the closest so far!

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2011, 06:26:49 PM »
Oddly enough, with so many Olympic venues bankrupting the host city/country, this might not be as pure a design problem (i.e. design for the games only) as we think.  If they give any thought to it being a reasonable venture after the games, the length will have to be reasonable, not that they couldn't take out 18 back tees.

My question is still the same.  Are the bobsled routes, for example, designed as the toughest bob sled tracks in the world, or are they reasonable enough for the Jamacians to traverse?  Are other bob sled tourneys on tougher courses?

What is the golf equivalent of the Jamacian bob sled team?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back